Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Anyone else have a WalMart no longer selling Friends sets?

jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
edited September 2012 in Collecting
As I have been saying since the sets came out, they sell for nothing here at my WalMart. The last straw here was the recent cardboard display that was in the aisle. It was the square one that had four sides: Mining, Monster Fighters, Friends, and Star Wars. Low and behold everything sold except Friends sets. My friend said maybe two sets sold off of it while the other sides were bare. At the time, he said he wished they would clearance out the Friends line as they never sold. Well it happened. Few weeks ago, the first went clearance when the summer wave came in. Now, last Friday, the rest went. The rest meaning the just put out summer wave. My WalMart will no longer be selling Friends sets. So other WalMarts like this? I honestly thought he was joking and then we walked down to where Friends were and, no more. He did say now tho with Frends gone, they can keep the other lines that sell stocked more.

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    I'm sure that in some stores / neighbourhoods, they do not sell well. Whereas in others, they sell like hotcakes.
  • jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    Must be a regional thing as well and not a store thing as I still no not one family in my region of stores that has kids that like them. Meaning I have about a third of the state I travel. All the stores I talk to my coworkers and they say their kids never had an interest in them. I'm still surprised the actually won't be sold at a WalMart period.

Funny how a toy can be popular in say Portland and not in WI. Girls must have different like city to city.
  • forumreaderforumreader Member Posts: 97
    They were very popular in my area, with stock always pretty much depleted, but they also disappeared after the aisle centerpiece promo ended. I wonder if they'll end up getting the 2013 line?
  • IwantmorelegosIwantmorelegos USAMember Posts: 42
    Yes, I have several Wal-Marts in my area that no longer carry friends at all. I talked to a Lego rep and a couple of WM toy Department Heads and this is what I've figured out. When friends first came out Lego could not keep up with Wal-marts demand, so some Wal-Marts had a lot of empty space (same thing with Ninjago Spinners, which is why they are now stocked on shelves at WM and not pegs). Since Wal-mart could not get the stock they wanted, Lego and Wal-mart agreed to cut the number of stores that carry the line there by giving more stock to other stores.
  • meyerc13meyerc13 Member Posts: 227
    edited September 2012
    I wouldn't say these aren't selling in Wisconsin, I've seen just the opposite. Target and Wal Mart couldn't keep these in stock through the first 2/3 of the year. The only place that could was TRU, but that was because they jacked up the prices. A couple of months ago, all of a sudden Wal Mart had stock again, but it doesn't surprise me that people wouldn't be shopping for big sets in the middle of summer... those who want them enough to buy them outside of a special occasion already have them, and everyone else will wait until closer to the Holidays.

The new sets, however, you can't find anywhere except TRU (note price hikes). The LEGO store got a shipment in last month, and within a week several of the new sets had sold out.

Note - my travels in Wisconsin are Appleton-Green Bay-Sheboygan-Oshkosh-Fond du Lac, with occasional trips to Milwaukee, Madison, Wausau, and Eau Claire.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,977
    It isn't just Friends that got cut, though. I was just at a local Wal-Mart yesterday. The entire Lego section has been utterly chopped. It is about 1/2 - 2/3 smaller than it used to be. I know people had mentioned this previously in the Wal-Mart thread, but the size difference was stunning.

I would not expect the ton of 50% off deals for this coming after Christmas season.
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    Here in Columbus, OH you can go into some stores and see that the Friends line is selling well. Although, you can go into another store and it looks like they haven't even been touched. I guess it's just the consumers in certain areas is all.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    They will be back during the Christmas resset, make no mistake about it. No way is any Wal Mart store going to miss out on these. Olivia's House will be one of the hottest girls toys for Christmas these year.
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    i wish. There's 4 walmarts we go to(one more then the others) and the friends sections along with the lego sections were FINALLY(finally as in the aisles should of been cleaned and tidied MONTHS ago) got cleaned up, new stock added, and a few old sets in clearance for the christmas season(holiday junk is showing up around here). Friends don't sell where i am so i don't see why they are going through the trouble of resetting friends.
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    I've noticed several WalMarts here have removed the Friends section. I don't have a good feel for whether they were selling well or not. I noticed cases were adults were excited for them but I'm not sure if girls were.
  • ktrangerktranger Member Posts: 1
    Two of Walmart in my area actually stopped selling this theme. Others Walmart stores still carry the theme and even got the new sets recently.
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    I think @Iwantmorelegos probably identified the real reason. WalMart, like any other big store, doesn't want empty shelves. I'm hearing through the grapevine that retailer demand for product is so high that Lego won't be able to fill all orders to merchants. Supposedly all of the orders received from Toy Fair have been significantly cut. This doesn't mean there will be a shortage of Lego for the holidays on retail shelves -- it just means that many many merchants all the way from Wallyworld to the corner independant toy seller would like an aisle full of Lego to draw holiday shoppers, but will have to settle for smaller allocations.
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    And just to add to the "select locations" point, WalMart has some of the most sophisticated retail analytics in the industry. They know exactly which stores are likely to sell Friends well and which ones won't based on shopper demographics.
  • ptericpteric Member Posts: 156
    I thought that our wal marts stopped selling them too, but I found them in the pink (girls) row, when they used to be in the lego row.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    My local Walmart had only one Dino set and no actual spot for it. I don't think Dino is EOL. I still have a couple of sets to get but was hoping to get a deal.
  • josecafejosecafe Member Posts: 29
    All the friends sets were on clearance at my local Walmart... like the piano or studio for $7 a piece.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129

My local Walmart had only one Dino set and no actual spot for it. I don't think Dino is EOL. I still have a couple of sets to get but was hoping to get a deal.

probably depends on how you define EOL. I suspect production of Dino sets ended some time ago, and it's just a matter of working the remaining inventory through retailers and LEGO's warehousing and fulfillment systems.

• Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    I may just have to buy it at retail if I want it.
    josecafe said:

All the friends sets were on clearance at my local Walmart... like the piano or studio for $7 a piece.

Same here. They didn 't send them to other stores, just clearanced them out.

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ It wouldn't be worth their time or effort to move inventory around like that.

Dropping the price and having customers take it out the front door is almost always less expensive than doing transfers.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 801
    edited September 2012
    Funny note about poor execution of a good idea but the Walmart by me on Long Island placed signs advertising that Friends could be found in the girls aisles. Smart idea so customers know to visit the girl aisles for Friends however these tags WERE IN THE GIRLS AISLE, not in the LEGO aisle!

This store clearanced the first wave of Friends and hasn't added the new waves of sets. This store has also done their holiday reset and I often leave this store and other Walmarts in the area saying "I have more LEGO than this store!" so I agree that 50% post Christmas deals might be hard to come by at Wallyworld.
  • sandtherapysandtherapy Member Posts: 108
    My local Walmart in southwest New Mexico put all the Lego Friends on clearance. The small sets like 3932, 3933 & 3936 got down to $2.00 before they were all gone. The larger sets like were reduced to $10.50 before they were gone. No more Friends sets in the girls section or the Lego section.
  • DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
    Friends has been phenomenally successful for the LEGO Group. If I had to guess, I would say they are clearing out the first wave to make shelf space for the second wave (all the horse themed sets, plus the seaplane).

Friends has been phenomenally successful for the LEGO Group. If I had to guess, I would say they are clearing out the first wave to make shelf space for the second wave (all the horse themed sets, plus the seaplane).

Normally, I would agree with that, but the regular Lego section is so small now, I feel they are just highly reducing Lego they have at on hand. With all those sets that went to 50%, they may not feel the need to carry so much of the line. It is a high -priced toy for many, and in this economy, Wal-mart may have felt the need to really slash items that were not selling as much as others.
    ^ This is a good point... Walmart's general customer and the general Lego buyer are not always in alignment...

Just because Walmart isn't selling tons of Lego doesn't mean tons of Lego isn't selling, it just means that people who shop at Walmart aren't buying tons of Lego, nothing else.
    And we all know the type of people that do their regular shop at Walmart. It's the same thing here in the UK. There are some stores I might consider going in if I hear they have a Lego sale, but I wouldn't regularly go in there to buy my weekly groceries and thus their stocks of Lego at full price. If I'm going to buy Lego at full price, I'll do it elsewhere.
    ^ Does Walmart exist in the UK? Europe in general?
    ^ Walmart own ASDA in the UK. And the clientele is similar.

Plus we can also see peopleofwalmart.com!

^ It wouldn't be worth their time or effort to move inventory around like that.

Dropping the price and having customers take it out the front door is almost always less expensive than doing transfers.

Not the store I work for. We take a loss on clearance. Not on the items themselves but n shelf space clearnce takes up. It's easier to transfer items to a store that moves things then to keep them on a shelf. For example beach towels went clearance in one of my stores. They sit and sit. Well another store in my distrct has a beach and waterparks. Easy fix. Transffer them up and put them on our next outbound truck and they go there and sell 90 times faster then here.

Not here. Summer sets went clearnace and nothing will be carried. Just got back and the house is down to $15 and there are like 15 left. They wanted the stuff gone and gone fast.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^ where is your store?
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,287
    ^^ $15?! Soooo jealous... Friends is pretty expensive here in China, but it's doing really well from what I can see (my Chinese is very poor though so it's hard to tell)...
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 502
    house for $15! I'd buy all 15 just for pieces. Price per piece is awesome at $15.00. That is only 2.16 cents per piece. I'd buy them just to get 15 of the top-of-house umbrella! and a whole bunch of pieces for my "Tatooine" moc.
    In addition, Wal-mart can still compete with places like Amazon, by having online the sets they removed. With Christmas approaching, and the continual increase of online sales, they know they can put some of this larger items online, and save the cost of carrying it in B&M, while focusing in store on the smaller subset that sells the best in store.

At this point, this seems to be a bit of a new model they have moved to.
    That is nice, but why would I shop at Walmart.com when I have amazon.com?

Amazon customer service eats Walmart's for breakfast, if the prices are about the same...

Walmart needs to understand they own B&M, not online. Their chance to own online was lost long ago.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,917
    Te Walmart closest to the British Columbia border has now removed the Friends aisle. :/
    LegoFanTexas, I agree, but it doesn't mean they still are not trying to compete for that online space. :-)
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    jdylak said:

Not here. Summer sets went clearnace and nothing will be carried. Just got back and the house is down to $15 and there are like 15 left. They wanted the stuff gone and gone fast.
    wow... that's pretty rare for a lego set to be on that fast of a price drop. Even at that price, i still wouldn't buy it.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002

jdylak said:

wow... that's pretty rare for a lego set to be on that fast of a price drop. Even at that price, i still wouldn't buy it.
    The horse is long dead.
    y2josh said:

jdylak said:

The horse is long dead.
    It's the truth. The store wanted them GONE. Even at that price people here don't want them. I thought about it and passed. Want nothing to do with those hideous sets. And to the people messaging me, no, I will not buy them and get them to you. Seems to me I was the one on that end when everyone was hoarding up the Christmas clearance. Just wanted one set. "I'll sell it to you but at $10 off regular price". Thanks. Nice people.

So please, stop messaging me.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    ^That message wasn't directed at you at all.