Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

10030 Star Destroyer + 3219 Mini Tie Fighter?

bkprbkpr Texas, USAMember Posts: 295
edited June 2011 in Building and Techniques
Howdy all. In anticipation of the arrival of my 10030 Star Destroyer set, I was wondering if the 3219 Mini Tie Fighter: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=3219-1 would make a good companion scale-wise. I was considering setting the finished model up with the Tantive out front, and a few mini tie fighters flying around as well. The Tie Fighter looks small enough, but it might actually a little too big to be an accurate-ish scale to 10030.

Thoughts?

Also, I was thinking of using some stiff wire painted black to 'lift' the tie fighters off the star destroyer (to appear in mid flight), but it might look a bit crude. Can anyone offer a more elegant solution?

Cheers. I can't wait for the 10030 to arrive :)

Comments

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,258
    edited June 2011
    Sorry, but I think the TIE fighters are far too big - 3219 is not much different size-wise to the Tantive IV that comes with 10030........
  • bkprbkpr Texas, USAMember Posts: 295
    edited June 2011
    (I think this should be in "Building and techniques" and not "Brickset.com". Apologies.

Hmmm, you might be right. I doubt I could design and construct a smaller one. It's probably silly to wish the 10030 was bigger…

(Dr. D edit : thread moved)
    edited June 2011
    Yes. Upon some research, the Tie fighter is around 23x smaller than the Tantive, and the Tie Interceptor is about 15x smaller. Those would be some teeeeeeny lego sets.

I could possibly make a tie fighter with a pair of 1x2 black plates and some Blu-Tac…
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    May want to try 1x1 plates :p
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,450
    or 2 specks of raw ABS granulate
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Well, the Tantive IV is 52 cm long, so if a Tie Fighter is 23 times smaller it would be about 2.3 cm long. That seems doable.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,258
    edited June 2011
    ^ The Tantive IV which comes with Set 10030 is more like 5 cm long, not 52 cm.....

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/drdavewatford/DrDaveWatford-Lego/10030/10030-mini-tantive-iv.jpg
    ^ Oh, haha. Then yes, no. That's about 12 cm long. So 23 times smaller is smaller than a 1x1 plate, but not much smaller. A round 1x1 would be a fair approximation.
    edited June 2011
    1x1 eh? Well, it's kind of doable.

I could use two 1x1 black smooth plates as the wings, and a 1x1 clear transparent round plate tilted forwards (or dark grey square 1x1 plate on a 45 degree angle so it makes a diamond). Something like this: [ O ] or [<>]

It'd would require some glue to hold together, but at least it'd be all Lego.
    …and super detailed and realistic :P
    edited June 2011
    PS. The 'research' I did was from the Star Wars wiki: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Tantive IV = 150m long
    Tie Fighter = 6.4m long
    Tie Interceptor = 9.6m long (two trianglular tiles for wings?)
    Tui Advanced = 9.2m (two 1x2 smooth tiles?)
    My numbers:

Width of a stud space = 8.0 mm
    Vertical pitch of a plate = 3.2 mm

Length of Tantive model in picture = 118.4 mm

Actual length is 150 m, therefore scale is 0.7893mm:1m

So, Tie Interceptor is 7.6 mm long. Or about the size of a single 1x1 piece.
  • vynsanevynsane Member Posts: 179
    NEEEERRRRRDS!!!

(All right, I'll admit, I'm wearing a Star Wars shirt right now).

You might be able to make a nice to-scale TIE against the UCS ISD, but nothing remotely recognizable against the Executor.

That said, you can do whatever you want - who said anything had to be in scale with each-other? You might even be able to pull off some nice forced-perspective (at least from a certain point of vie... uh, certain angle) by playing around a bit.
  • SapmiSatanSapmiSatan Member Posts: 106
    A lot of the ships in the upcoming Christmas Calendar looks like they're the right scale. There's a very simple TIE Fighter there, which looks like it's very easy to make and that fits the scale of the Star Destroyer perfectly.
    Cheers, but looking at it it's a little too big (2x2 wings). I've ordered a few parts from bricklink, grand total of $6.17 which will make five Tie Fighters and one Tie advanced. One fleet of three Ties and another fleet of two Ties and the Advanced.

I've gone with six antenna whips for displaying/attaching them to the Stay Destroyer. Unfortunately I couldn't find clear (trans-white) ones, and have settled for trans-medium blue.

It's all a bit nerdy, isn't it.
    edited June 2011
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Another cute one, but still way too big: http://www.flickr.com/photos/darthnick/741142791/
    An update.

I've built the Star Destroyer and have made a bunch of TIE fighters and a micro Falcon to complete the set 9roughly to scale).

The TIEs were made with two grey 1x1 tiles and one 1x1 clear round stud. The TIE Advanced has two 1x2 tile grills, one clear round, and two black round studs. Be warned though, there's Blu-Tac involved :P

The micro Falcon is this one from Brickshelf: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=262452

You can see/read the full details here: http://bartkowalski.com/2011/07/10030-lego-star-destroyer/#Update1
  • gold682gold682 UKMember Posts: 201
    Nice one! Especially love the falcon in hiding. Might just have to do that to mine (also made up and sitting in the living room!).My one has been set up for about 2 months now, so it will soon be time to break it down to make way for another build - not sure which yet, but probably a modular, since i've taken a liking to them and have the fire brigade sitting upstairs all sealed up waiting for me to release it!
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,360
    Would the micro ships that are coming with this year’s advent calendar go well with the set? or would they be too small?
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Depends which ships. The Republic Cruiser would be close but the rest would be far too large.
    …after a week or so looking at the TIEs, I might superglue them together. The Blu-Tac looks messy, the superglue will dry clear. In theory.