Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Ridiculous eBay Auctions

Comments

• RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    ^There's nothing ridiculous about that auction. Imperial Flagships are selling for $300-$325 alone. Shipping is very reasonable as well. This auction should end at around the $400 mark.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,258
    No pictures? $15 shipping? No feedback for a year? Not a single other Lego product sold? I wouldn't touch with your 10 ft pole.
    edited September 2012
    It's listed as an auction, not a BIN. There is a 14 day return policy listed and regardless of whether the seller has sold Lego before the feedback has been 100% positive. Imperial Flagship is retired so that rules out drop shipping. I still don't see an issue. The shipping sounds right if he sends it Parcel Post.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    edited September 2012
    EDIT: My mistake. Apparently I was ignoring the date.
    Ah, didn't see that. That is kind of shady.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    edited September 2012
    there seems to be a lot of Swamp Speeders hitting ebay UK. I wonder if this is the affect of the Toys R Us 3 for 2 sale. lol
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ hacked account maybe? haven't sold anything in about a year. but even then, their selling history has been very sporadic. so it could be legit, just someone trying to dump a couple sets they got as gifts or something and no longer want.
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,411
    ^ have you checked out all that guys other items, wow is he mad for the graded Lego and some of it at serious prices, seriously high that is.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 2,063
    ^+^^ Best laugh I have had all day. I never realised that getting a UCS Falcon graded would make it worth $12,500. That is a bargain! He looks knew to this game considering he only has 55 feedback. I get the feeling he thinks he can make his fortune off lego.
  • zoinkozoinko Member Posts: 12
    Hey - brick_obsession how much do you want for your Toy Fair set? I would pay $1000 if you have the lanyard. let me know
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    @zoinko

Thanks for the offer but I have to pass. Going to put a 9.0 sticker on the set and call it my retirement ;-)
    Seriously, I have been trying to get one of these sets for a few months , what would you take? let me know
    We can laugh all we want at that seller who is grading his Lego (I know I have) but I just checked and a bunch of his auctions have actually sold! Someone actually paid $200(!!!!) for an old Star Wars Desert Skiff. A set you can get MSIB for $20. How about a 7150 Y-Wing and X-Wing for $650? sold. 65153 Jango's Slave 1 w/case set? $700! What the heck is going on here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-LEGO-STAR-WARS-DESERT-SKIFF-7104-GRADED-AFA-9-25-MISB-CLASSIC-SERIES-/221118362389?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337bae7315

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-LEGO-STAR-WARS-TIE-FIGHTER-Y-WING-7150-GRADED-AFA-9-0-CLASSIC-SERIES-/221119405935?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337bbe5f6f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-LEGO-STAR-WARS-JANGO-FETTS-SLAVE-I-w-CARGO-CASE-65153-GRADED-AFA-8-0-MISB-/221119405957?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337bbe5f85
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    @zoinka

Sorry dude there is just no way I can let them go. Too few out there and it's a complete set so I want to hang onto it
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    AFA grading on toys is nothing new and it has proven to increase the value of MISB items. It's just like comics sent off to CGC. People will pay big money just because it's in a slab and has a qualified grade on it.

We may not like it, but I can only expect this trend to increase as people begin to look at the value of sealed LEGO and see a market for new sets in pristine boxes.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^^^ Wouldnt suprise me if he bought them himself to 'seed' the market.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,744
    Not so crazy, but saw a helm's deep plus two Uruk-hai army sets go for about £50 yesterday. It was pick up only, and no Urk-hai figs, but someone grabbed a bargain for all those bricks!
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,744
    ^Yeah thats the one. I'm still surprised that people put 'collection only' unless its something ginormous like a cross-trainer. Charge £10/15 for postage and there would have been a whole lot more bids... Still, someone did well out of it.

Hey - brick_obsession how about $1500. for the toy fair set? let me know
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    ^This is really something that needs to be pursued via private message (or, more appropriately, not at all, given @Brick_Obsession already mentioned not being interested in selling).
    ^

Done, just finished sending a private PM to @zoinko

All good on my end.
    edited September 2012
    I am wondering if the "account" with the graded items that are sealing for much more than they are valaued is owned by Brian's Toys. I know they grade their items and turn around and sell them pretty high.

PS - I think the person is just on some good stuff!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-LEGO-STAR-WARS-TC-14-DROID-MINI-FIGURE-MISB-AFA-9-25-GRADED-/221124987450?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337c138a3a
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,533
    edited September 2012
    iccarus said:

AFA grading on toys is nothing new and it has proven to increase the value of MISB items. It's just like comics sent off to CGC. People will pay big money just because it's in a slab and has a qualified grade on it.

We may not like it, but I can only expect this trend to increase as people begin to look at the value of sealed LEGO and see a market for new sets in pristine boxes.

Yes, look for more people to be ripped off by this.. I would not touch these with a 10 ft pole.. Who is to say that the seller is not emptying the box/replacing the contents and expertly resealing the box and then sending it to be graded and encased in plastic?
    Cards and comics are one thing because the card is all there is, and a comic can be opened and looked at for imperfections.. Even GI Joe figured are encapsulated in clear plastic so you KNOW it is the figure.. but a sealed LEGO box that you cannot see in? Asking to be robbed is all Im saying.

iccarus said:

Yes, look for more people to be ripped off by this.. I would not touch these with a 10 ft pole.. Who is to say that the seller is not emptying the box/replacing the contents and expertly resealing the box and then sending it to be graded and encased in plastic?
    Cards and comics are one thing because the card is all there is, and a comic can be opened and looked at for imperfections.. Even GI Joe figured are encapsulated in clear plastic so you KNOW it is the figure.. but a sealed LEGO box that you cannot see in? Asking to be robbed is all Im saying.

AFA grades tons of Mint sealed items, Star Wars ships, Transformers, Masters of the Universe etc.. Many of the items are factory sealed and you can not see the contents. I have never heard of any AFA graded item not being exactly what is represented. I have however received supposed sealed sets from sellers on bricklink/ebay that are missing key minifigs when I opened the set. I feel much more confident buying sealed graded sets.
    I understand that having an item graded gives one a better sense of the quality of the set but to pay 10x the current retail value in some instances (desert skiff, y-wing & X-Wing for example on ebay) is beyond me. I'd rather just deal with high feedback sellers who have return policies and if not follow up with the buyer protection policies in place.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    y2josh said:

^This is really something that needs to be pursued via private message (or, more appropriately, not at all, given @Brick_Obsession already mentioned not being interested in selling).

@Brick_Obsession isn't interested in selling, until it becomes crazy money.

Rule #1 - everything is for sale, at the right price.
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,621
    edited September 2012
    The first one above actually has both the Queen Anne Revenge and the Imperial Flagship, although some have indicated a couple shady looking things about the auction.
    edited September 2012
    zoinko said:

iccarus said:

AFA grades tons of Mint sealed items, Star Wars ships, Transformers, Masters of the Universe etc.. Many of the items are factory sealed and you can not see the contents. I have never heard of any AFA graded item not being exactly what is represented. I have however received supposed sealed sets from sellers on bricklink/ebay that are missing key minifigs when I opened the set. I feel much more confident buying sealed graded sets.
    So you are assuming that just because something is sealed and graded that someone did not tinker with it, and paying a premium for that assumption? Wow, Id rather roll the dice with a lesser prices ungraded version, but that is just me a I guess
    You are also going to see more of that sealed box missing figures and be thankful it will just be that. That is why I no longer buy sets from retail Brick and mortar stores because they take the item back immediately and do not check the item to see if it was tampered with, and Im sure some sellers are uncaring enough to not care either, as long as they got their item for 50% off and then sold it for 50% more than retail which is a shame because all they are doing is asking for neg feedback if the item arrives and is missing the contents.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,364
    ^ I've put an offer in. He doesn't have an auto reject for low offers.
    ^ me too, although I only wanted 1. Can't believe you asked for 2! Do you not realise how rare these items are????
  • WatfordScottyMWatfordScottyM Member Posts: 469
    Well I have both, so I'll gladly take £75 for the two.
    ^ That's a bit more than I offered. For 2x both.
    And the equivalent of what I would have offered for 4x both.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,156
    I've been selling the 7 TC-14s I had on Ebay for £16 each and have only sold 2 in 2 weeks, despite being the cheapest buy now seller. The DM polys are going for £12 on average, so it's worth £30 tops for the pair.

zoinko said:

iccarus said:

So you are assuming that just because something is sealed and graded that someone did not tinker with it, and paying a premium for that assumption? Wow, Id rather roll the dice with a lesser prices ungraded version, but that is just me a I guess
    You are also going to see more of that sealed box missing figures and be thankful it will just be that. That is why I no longer buy sets from retail Brick and mortar stores because they take the item back immediately and do not check the item to see if it was tampered with, and Im sure some sellers are uncaring enough to not care either, as long as they got their item for 50% off and then sold it for 50% more than retail which is a shame because all they are doing is asking for neg feedback if the item arrives and is missing the contents.
    Not quite, I am assuming the AFA will do their job and make sure the seals are not tampered with & the set is still factory sealed.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ You would think, but it is really easy to remove and replace those tape seals, you just need to use a hair dryer...
    ^-- This

Really LEGO still needs to do a better job with sealing these boxes.. maybe putting a large piece of tape across the entire flap instead of just two little pieces of tape... Now I'm sure if someone wants to get into a box undetected they probably will (unless, like others have suggested, they go back to the plastic window into the box to see its contents) but it really is a matter of making it more difficult for these scum to do this type of activity, and this type of fraud will occur less. Until then, I am leery of buying anything from a Brick and Mortar retail store, and would be very leery of assuming AFA will catch this type of activity..
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    Maybe AFA pushes a pinhole camera in somewhere, or x-rays it, or something.

My primary baffle is still that people would buy a box of Lego and seal it in a plastic casing forever.
    I can understand basketball cards, or stamps, or old cars. Ok, you buy them, you put them in a plastic casing, or your garage, and you exhibit them. Fundamentally, a stamp or a basketball card can only be looked at, it has no aggregate state beyond that. An oldtimer might drive, but I can see how one would like to preserve it in a garage. I would never do any of these things, I'd rather spend the money on travel. But I can still follow the idea.

But Lego, in an MISB box? To never open the box, to never even see the bricks, much less assemble them?
    I mean, does this only rot away in a storage safe within a bomb-proof shelter somewhere, or does somebody exhibit the AFA-approved MISB MF in a plastic case in his or her living room?

I can understand people exhibiting an assembled MF in their living room. That would be impressive. Geeky. But impressive.
    But the box?

Strange.
    ^ I don't do it, but it is the knowing that you have a perfect (as it left the factory) condition set. Not so many people have perfect boxed sets, so what you have slowly becomes scarcer and scarcer. You have saved a bit of Lego history.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ unless you eventually plan to sell it though, what's the point?
    ^ The point is knowing that you have a perfect example. That is the ultimate in collectables (aside from having everything, in perfect condition).
    edited September 2012
    ^^ Because they're slightly mental? That's not to be derogatory, but it is surely a mostly harmless minifestation of an underlying neurological disorder (similar to OCD).
  • stoneboistoneboi Member Posts: 42
    humans have many irrational behaviour...well, if it keeps the person happy that lego sets are sealed and never to be sold and played with...
    $15,000 for shipping, and still he's 'not responsible for anything that happens in shipping'!
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,423
    "SHIPPING IS ALSO PART OF PRICE EBAY DOESN'T LET POST MORE THAN 5000 SO SHIPPING IS 15000 NO MATTER WHERE YOU LIVE IN U.S."

What?