Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

what's with the extra head attachments for Boba Fett?

insanityrocksinsanityrocks Member Posts: 77
edited September 2012 in Collecting
because I'm a massive sucker for anything star wars related and i hadn't up to today managed to get a boba fet mini fig i brought the new desert skiff set I've attached a picture of the instructions i can't get my head around, fett has a little antenna thing sticking out and for some reason it comes with 4 of these and 4 of something else entirely anyone explain it?

Edit: thread title changed to something meaningful: bluemoose

Comments

• absolut3absolut3 Member Posts: 82
    Either you can have the antenna in or you can change it to the visor. The extras are just that, extras.
  • lilmonster777lilmonster777 Member Posts: 53
    extra pcs,all lego star wars has extra....dosen't it ?
  • insanityrocksinsanityrocks Member Posts: 77
    most lego has the odd piece yes but the fact there are 4 antenna and 4 visors and the manual clearly states there is going to be 4 is the bit that confuses me
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    I guess they are lost really often.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    It struck me as odd as well. I just purchased that set a couple days ago too. I figured they have another set where those antenna come in 4 (maybe a battle pack) and they were already packaged like that so they just threw the whole bundle in. I don't know much about star wars sets though so I could be completely wrong.
  • The_MackThe_Mack Member Posts: 239
    LEGO says they put in multiples of popular pieces that may get lost easily. This is a perfect example, The Lord of the rings #9470 is another example, you get 3 gold rings. Probably the most important/popular piece in that set. It cost them very little to put in extras, and that way you don't have to call LEGO to get a replacement. Remember these are for kids, and kids loose pieces all the time, along with getting thrown into a large bucket of LEGO.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 868
    They put extras of those pieces in the Slave I as well.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,185
    I wish Lego would provide a spare sticker sheet for every set .... at least the non-licensed stuff.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    Wait, you are complaining that Lego provided extra pieces?
    I'm confused.
  • TitusTitus Member Posts: 79
    Those little antennas fall out or get knocked out all the time while playing. Extras are a must
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    Renny said:

Wait, you are complaining that Lego provided extra pieces?
    I'm confused.

I'm writing to my MP to complain.
  • 501501 Member Posts: 11
    The extra pieces are there due to the machines packing the bags by weight. The small pieces weigh so little that they add an extra just to be safe. It has absolutely nothing at all to do with small pieces being easy to misplace.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    ^Actually, those are pre-bagged in that manner. The clone trooper battle pack has a bag of four antennae and four visors, as well. It's very similar to those little bags of weapons that come in the Mines of Moria.
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 812
    This is probably thanks to all of those elements coming from the same exact mold-- sort of like the Heroica weapons-- you either get them ALL, or you get NONE. So if they want to add just 1, well, too bad, you have to get 4 of them.

Generally, when this type of thing happens, each casting of a mold is immediately bagged, because it's difficult to sort out the individual pieces from a huge pile.

DaveE
  • TitusTitus Member Posts: 79
    501 said:

The extra pieces are there due to the machines packing the bags by weight. The small pieces weigh so little that they add an extra just to be safe. It has absolutely nothing at all to do with small pieces being easy to misplace.

They are pre-bagged AND indicated as including multiples in the instructions as well (see the original post in this thread).
  • insanityrocksinsanityrocks Member Posts: 77
    just FYI I'm not complaining about the fact there are extras i don't think I've ever had a set that didn't come with extras its just these extras were pictured in the instructions i just wondered if anyone had any ideas why
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    Ah okay, it just sounded like you were super upset from reading the subject name
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 668
    Because it's easier than having to send you replacements when you lose the single tiny antenna piece included in the set. The visors and antenna pieces have come like that as standard since they debuted in the Clone Wars sets. It's cheaper and easier to have a standard pack than to include them based on individual set needs.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,896
    The_Mack said:

The Lord of the rings #9470 is another example, you get 3 gold rings.

That would have totally changed the storyline. Sauron made the one true ring. But he also had a couple of spares in case he lost it.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ Darn it, now you owe me a new keyboard, mine has coffee all over it! :)

That is funny! :)
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 868
    Actually he started out with five rings on December 30 but returned the first two to raise cash for some post-Christmas spending . . . had to buy feed for some doves, hens, and other assorted birds.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    No, he made loads of rings actually, he deceived everybody and kept the best one for himself.

Sounds like some of the people on here with multiple lego sets.
  • The_MackThe_Mack Member Posts: 239
    CCC said:

The_Mack said:

The Lord of the rings #9470 is another example, you get 3 gold rings.

That would have totally changed the storyline. Sauron made the one true ring. But he also had a couple of spares in case he lost it.
    Well played sir, well played.