Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Modular Custom Designs

StevenAshbyStevenAshby Member Posts: 155
edited September 2011 in Building and Techniques
As these are my new passion im wanting to expand my street further, currently it looks like the market place and cafe corner are a little over what i want to pay. So im considering some of the custom designs that are out there which seem quite good (police Station for example) does anybody have these or has seen them? if so my question is really before i start to source the parts, are these as good as the lego versions or will i notice a real difference when i put them with the rest of my collection,

Comments

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,384
    Why not design your own, on Lego Digital Designer if needs be ? I had a go at doing this, sourced the parts and built something, and you can see the result below :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5370716488/in/set-72157625335453759/

OK, so not exactly Green grocer, but looks nice next to my other modulars and nobody else has one (!)

Give it a go - it was fun !
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    Wow, really nice drdave, is there any interior detail?
  • Bluefox1966Bluefox1966 UKMember Posts: 360
    Great building, How long did it take to design and build?
    @princedraven - no interior detail. It was designed to hide an unsightly external hard drive and cable modem, so is hollow, with an open back.

@Bluefox1966 - you can read more about the design process below :

http://gimmelego.blogspot.com/2010/12/diy.html

It was actually designed in two stages, maybe a year apart. There's a link at the beginning of the piece above to a further blog entry which describes how I got started with it in the first place.
  • HobHob My Lego houseMember Posts: 223
    Hey Dr Dave is saw your creation in the westfields lego shop at the weekend great house. May give it a go myself.
    edited June 2011
    Go for it, @Hob - it really wasn't that hard, and the fact that my first try at using LDD ended up on display in a brand store should be an encouragement to anybody interested in designing their own stuff with it.
    Great blog pages, I just had a quick scan. I'll take my time and have a good read later.( I wish I could do something like it, but I'm really more of a hands on that computer guy.
    ^ If you've got a healthy supply of loose bricks then that's infinitely preferable to using LDD, to be honest. Most of my bricks are tied up in sets so I'm resigned to using LDD.....
  • thesinisterpenguinthesinisterpenguin Member Posts: 96
    Side topic - Any idea how long it will be at Westfield? Would be interesting to see in the 'flesh'! And congratulations, that is really cool!
    I have around 2 metric tons of loose bricks. So no problem there :-). The problem is getting to them. I have sorted most them by colour apart from say 300Kg. but with storage space low it's hard to spread them out to sift for specific parts.( wife doesn't appreciate the lounge floor covered in Lego). I need to rethink my sorting to shapes as well as colour, but as you know it takes forever. I do have a large box of tan bricks around 30kg. I think I'll star with that and substitute other colours later.
    The model is on display as part of a LEGO User Group (LUG) showcase. This is a programme whereby LUGs (in this case the Brickish Association) get to display models designed by their members in special display cases at LEGO brand stores.

Models are on display for around 6 weeks, so mine will be at Westfield until early July.
  • thesinisterpenguinthesinisterpenguin Member Posts: 96
    ^ Thanks for the info! Will check it out late June! :]
  • StevenAshbyStevenAshby Member Posts: 155
    Why not design your own, on Lego Digital Designer if needs be ? I had a go at doing this, sourced the parts and built something, and you can see the result below :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5370716488/in/set-72157625335453759/

OK, so not exactly Green grocer, but looks nice next to my other modulars and nobody else has one (!)

Give it a go - it was fun !
    Wow that looks amazing i really like the style of that am hoping to go up to london next month so hopefully it will still be there :) , think i will have to look into giving it a go. Anybody else got any designs they have done

Sorry I know this is slightly off topic, but seems pertinent.
    I have never used LDD before and this gave me a shove to load it up. Been playing around for an hour or so and I have a quick question (looked through help and even run the video tutorials but cant find the answer!).
    When you put multiple bricks down of the same color they just seem to appear as one big block, so for example if I place two 2x2's together they look like a 2x4.
    Is there a way to show them as seperate bricks? Obviously for building walls etc you need to see where the bricks meet to ensure interlocking etc.
    Looking at drdave's blog show the basement with a clear indication of where bricks meet, but I cannot work out how to show this in LDD.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited June 2011
    Dave nice model.

I have a custom modular over 3/4 complete at the moment, will share it with you soon, just awaiting my latest load of bricklink orders, but I think you will like it ;-) .. personally I think it's better than GG but it's quite different in style.

Think I should join a LUG, would love to see it displayed.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    @princedraven: edit -> preferences ... There should be an "outline on bricks" option. I've read that for some it is grayed out, perhaps because a computer with insufficient processing power was detected.
    Thanks Rocao, I was just popping on to say I found it, had looked in Preferences, so no idea how I missed it. Would have thought that it made sense to default to having this on, but maybe it takes more power as you say..
    ^ Glad you found it !

^^^ Looking forward to seeing the finished model, Si. You've already been told that you have to join Brickish (!) in which case the LUG Showcase will be open to you, and if the model's good you'll have no problem getting a display slot.
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,381
    Hey guys
    Sorry, probably should start a new thread but I was interested in how you got you models made and displayed. I design a lot in LDD but most of the designs are far beyond anything I can ever dream of building as I have not got Lego peices outside of sets (which is why I think LDD is great as it allows me to build what I cannot) but I was totaly unaware that plain old Lego fans could wind up with their creations on display? But am I right in thinking you have to build the model yourself before it would be considered? Just curious as I have an LDD crossover design for a modular style station with Harry Potter connection that I would love to build but can't. Sorry if that is a dull question, or a silly one.
    edited June 2011
    ^ One feature of LDD is the ability to upload your design to LEGO, who will produce a set of building instructions for you, pick the parts, and send the whole lot to you.....for a fee. Clearly it's a relatively labour-intensive process for LEGO (e.g. the pieces all need it be hand-picked) and as such it's pricey. The alternative is to buy the pieces from Pick-a-Brick, or cheaper still Bricklink. The downside is that this is much more hassle.

I have to say I was lazy - once I'd designed my building, I uploaded it to LEGO and bought it. Not cheap, but so blissfully easy.... It probably cost me twice as much as sourcing the parts for myself, but it was a real treat having LEGO do the donkey work. They even sent me my model in a box with a picture of the model on the front - very nice !

Displaying the model is nothing to do with LDD - it's a scheme run by LEGO to allow user groups to display their original creations. That I used my LDD model for this is entirely incidental - it would have been accepted regardless.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    Ok, I follow. I have bought a few smaller things through from LDD from Lego, expensive but nice I agree, really like the boxes oddly enough, (small models for friends and family).
    So I guess my follow up is once the model made what groups do you have to belong to too get displayed? You mentioned 'brikish' earlier? (sorry total newby regarding Lego community). Thanks
    edited June 2011
    ^^ Not that much hassle if all the parts you need are available from one, or two, or even three sellers.... Big assumption, however !

^ The Brickish Association is the UK association for Adult Fans of LEGO (AFOLs). A number of people on the Brickset forum are members. You can learn more at www.brickish.org
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    Or you can use this plugin to upload direct to PAB, and save 10+%image
    pab.PNG 153.8K
    Thanks loads, very helpful
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    I've also seen instructions on EBAY for spanish style modular buildings. They actually look pretty cool, especially if you had a whole set of spanish themed buildings. They go for like 15 bucks I've seen? And I checked the listing and the seller actually has sold a couple. Only problem is I have no idea how much it would cost to buy the parts on brick link. I always run into the posts when searching ebay for other modular buildings like the cafe corner
    Hi folks.
    Well, I decided that even though it's only half-finished, I'll share my custom modular with you

... I've created a new thread for it ...
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/899/10217-diagon-alley-as-a-modular

Adzbadboy
    Also does anybody auctually add working lights and streetlights to theres?
    ^
    Hi folks.
    Well, I decided that even though it's only half-finished, I'll share my custom modular with you

... I've created a new thread for it ...
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/899/10217-diagon-alley-as-a-modular

Like i said in thread looks great, have you got the plans for the design you have created or is it all just in your head?

edited June 2011
    All in my head, so no plans for it, apart from what's in my head of course ;)
    I'm planning on adding working lights to it in phase 2, but only along the side alley and inside.
    Is there a general size for the footprint of the Modular buildings?
    I have the Fire Brigade only (and havent built that yet), but would like to work on something on LDD which would look good beside it, therefore I want it to be roughly the same dimensions. From the instruction manuals that I have checked it appears that they have 2 32x16 plates as the base and have around 7-8 studs free at the front and back for pavements etc, so the buildings are around 32 studs wide by 16 studs deep, is that correct?

Appreciate your help, thanks,
    Footprint is 32x32 (either made up by one 32x32 baseplate or two 32x16's in the case of Market Street and Pet Shop). Depth varies depending on the set, e.g. Emporium and Cafe Corner are 'deeper' as they are corner buildings.
    Are they all set back a consistant distance, i.e. to have a standard pavement along the front?
    Not exactly; because the various buildings don't have identical frontages it varies by one or 2 studs.
    Cafe Corner, Market street and Greengrocer all allow 7 studs of pavement in front of the building - the furthest one from the building is light grey, the rest are dark grey.

However, although the base walls are this far back, bits protrude out, e.g. the cafe corner supports leave a 6 wide pavement, the market street steps leave a 4 wide pavement and the GG steps and veggies leave a 4 wide pavement.
    Thanks Si that is a great help.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    ^^ Great guide. If you haven't read the guide, to add to previous comments, there is a standard 1 stud curb at the pavement edge. Pavement standard is 7 studs + 1 stud curb and back yard is 8 studs, but as mentioned before building can protrude onto the pavement and backyard sections.
    edited June 2011
    ^ Yes, not sure where they get their "Pavement standard is 7 studs + 1 stud curb" actually - the measurements I took 3 posts up were directly from the models and all were 6 studs + 1 stud curb i.e. 7 studs total. Not sure if the later modulars widened the pavement by a stud or if their measurement is out by 1 stud. Not that it would matter much though in the final model!
    Have downloaded the program and am having ago at designing my own modular house. Tricky to start with but getting the hang of it (maybe).

Trying to keep simple but not much luck, added a basement and am tring to create stairs to the upstairs, also gonna try a bay window. Seem to be using a lot of black bricks so far.

Some of the blocks seem limited in colour department same with the plates some only come in one colour and size.

The web site posted before was interesting are there any other sites that help with windows etc?
    Just finished my first design how can i so it off?

I used the LDD can i save a pic and upload it?
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    @Si_Dorking_Surrey_UK They took it from Cafe Corner. The backyard space is clearly 8 studs by 8 studs. The pavement is also 8 studs with columns entering into the pavement area. Or to put it another way, stud 10 is interior space and stud 9 is primary wall, so stud 8 is pavement area (which sometimes has a building easement).

There are other reasons why this makes sense, primarily symmetry. Think of the baseplate as broken downing into 16 identical squares. 8+8+8+8 gives you 32, the length of the base plate. Pavement, Building, Building, Outside.

Another way to look at it is that the locations of the technic pin connections limits the minimum size of the side wall to 16 studs. This means the maximum pavement area is 8 studs.

The fact the building is allowed to occupy the pavement area and the backyard masks the size of those areas, but for the above reasons I think the guide is correct.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    Have you guys seen these new custom modular building set instructions on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lego-Custom-2-Modular-Buildings-store-INSTRUCTIONS-ONLY-/280685758837?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415a2cc975

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lego-Custom-Modular-Building-House-INSTRUCTIONS-ONLY-/270727356474?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f089ba03a

some of these look really good. I'm considering buying one and trying to get the pieces off bricklink, wondering what it would run to piece it together...

You guys seen them? Opinions? comments? concerns?
    edited June 2011
    Concern that brown and green wont make for a nice looking modular!
    Also you'd have no idea if the instructions are any good.
    Personally I dont think these are good enough to pay for, I'd just try copying it by eye if you want to build something like that. If you want to pay for instructions, then I'd get something a bit more special.
    The other thing you could do is buy one already made - I know theres a guy from france does custom modulars on ebay for about £180, some of them look Ok if you're into that kind of thing.
    My custom design will cost me 96quid if i order with Lego. Not sure if i can really afford it but piecing together from bricklink and my own parts will be expensive and time consuming.

The Ebay ones lok good. Perhaps i could make some more design and sell them on ebay.
    edited June 2011
    Hob,

Did you work out a way to show a picture of your design?? Would be interested to see what you came up with.
    No one answer my request. Will try and screen grab and post in flickr maybe, unless you have an idea?

I have started on another Mod house. Wanted a bay window but not having much luck.

Will try and post though, please be kind though.
    haha, I have only used LDD for about an hour total and havent got very far at all yet, so most creations look pretty good to me.
    Just had a look and there is a 'view mode' F6. In there is a button top left that saves a screenshot (looks like a camera).
    Pretty much everything i try brings up the message saying that if i use this brick I cannot check the price, etc, only got a base plate and a few bricks. Think its because the base plate is the wrong color or something, but if i try the substitute option it just deletes it??
    well ive decided to give it a go and im going to make a cinema using LDD, lets see if the plan in my mind works out haha
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

this should be a few pics of the first creation. There are some inside details but i'll upload them soon.

Please let me know if link works as its my first time using Flickr.