Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Aftermarket pricing

mattheww888mattheww888 Member Posts: 87
edited September 2012 in Collecting
Is BL the preferred method for self-appraising EOL sets? Or is there a better more widely used source for judging what a set is worth? I'd rather not compare to flea-bay.

Comments

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    Completed listings showing actual sets sold on eBay is the best online price guild around...
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,454
    I agree. Anyone can ask whatever they want for a set, but Completed Listings tell you what it sold for. Brick link is inaccurate because they lump boxes and instructions for that particular model in with the model itself. That skews the numbers.
  • mattheww888mattheww888 Member Posts: 87
    So what you're saying is, what people sell the sets for on eBay is the best way to compare?
    Yes, unless there is some kind of scam involved. A #10188 Death Star MISB selling for $200 is fishy.
    Pitfall69 said:

Yes, unless there is some kind of scam involved. A #10188 Death Star MISB selling for $200 is fishy.

What? No it isn't... A 10188 MISB selling for $200 is a scam every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Nothing fishy about a sure thing... a sure scam that is... :)
    edited September 2012
    Lol. Isn't that what I said :)
    What I would do is throw out the absolute lowest and highest price a set sold for then average the rest.
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 788
    How could one find this information easily on e-bay?
    In the advanced search options, click completed listings.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    What's nice is that sometimes when I log into ebay I get the option to view only sold completed items. Not sure why that option is not always available.
    Thanks for the help guys, especially @LegoFanTexas and @Pitfall69. I'm asking cause I picked up a #7189 Mill Village Raid at TRU last week during their $10 off a $50 purchase. I was shocked to see one on the shelf still. Wasn't sure if I should keep and build it, or sell cause I knew it was EOL.
    MVR hasn't gone up in value because they are still out there in retail land, abit in a limited fashion.

Barns and Noble had them in stock online up until about two months ago, so it will be Christmas or after before they are worth much.

So build and enjoy. :) Or don't, but wait until Christmas to sell.
    I am thinking about just building it. After all, what else are Legos meant for? :) I honestly could see this set used in some sort of WWII diorama of the German occupation of Holland. There goes my imagination again.
    Wow, that was an obscure reference in history...lol. It's a great little set, but I don't see it as a great build. Medieval Market Village is a bigger set and looks more interesting on the box, but it wasn't a great build in my opinion. Mill Village Raid does have the chickens and the goat going for it though.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Pitfall69 said:

I agree. Anyone can ask whatever they want for a set, but Completed Listings tell you what it sold for. Brick link is inaccurate because they lump boxes and instructions for that particular model in with the model itself. That skews the numbers.

Not sure what you mean by Bricklink being innacurate. There is a separate price guide for the set, the instructions, and the box.

Set:
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=7189-1

Instructions:
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?I=7189-1

Box:
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?O=7189-1

If you mean on the price guide for the set you can't tell whether past sales included just the set, or the set + box and/or instructions, you are right. The details of past sales are absent from the price guide. With eBay you can look back at the actual listings for the details.

One thing you can do on Bricklink is exclude "incomplete" sets from the price guide:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=7189-1-&colorID=0&v=D&viewExclude=Y&cID=Y

This way you at least eliminate those sales which did not include the box, or instructions, or minifigs, or special parts, etc. Assuming it was listed correctly of course. :) But, in general, it's a *guide*.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,480
    edited September 2012
    ^ You can also just use the prices paid columns, and look only at the middle 60% / 90% / whatever you want. Or just exclude the cheap ones that obviously had bits missing based on the price it sold for. Some people still use "new, sealed" to sell sets missing minfigs and bricklink let them get away with it, so it cannot be totally relied upon, as you say it is a guide only.

It would also be nice to allow you to sort by "sold in country X". Can that be done?

And like any historical data, that was then, this is now. If something goes EOL prices are expected to change. If something is given out as a freebie in a particular country, then expect a large shift (esp. if given out with the Sun in the UK, that really shifts prices for previously hard to get sets).
    Yeah, that is kind of what I meant. I guess I was inaccurate...lol. A set listed could be listed as new or new/sealed yet has been opened. The great thing about using Ebay's Completed Listings, you can go back and see the details of the sale.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    ^ You can group by currency, but it just that, and not by country (given many sellers choose to sell in USD regardless of domicile).
  • chowrentoyschowrentoys Member Posts: 7
    For serious sellers I would recommend terapeak. It is expensive, but well worth it. You can search up to 90 days on every item ever sold on eBay not just LEGO. I won't go into the details, but if you are serious about selling then check it out. But for what you are looking for I would recommend Brickpicker. They are an affiliate of ours just like Brickset. I am only mentioning them here, because the are free to use so you don't need to spend few hundred bucks on Terapeak if you don't need it. They purchase the terapeak data and posted it by set and gives you the average price on both new and used sets. They also list the sales history for each particular set for up to the last 30 sold on eBay. Terapeak actually list all listings including unsold items, but Brickpicker filters this out for you. Hope this helps.
  • PlasticDotsPlasticDots Member Posts: 80
    You have to also check eBay for not just completed but sold because searching for just completed listings will give you auctions or buy it now's that didn't sell, you have to look for sold items