Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[UK] AFOL shopping day tomorrow, what are you going to buy?

2»

Comments

• stevenzhangstevenzhang Member Posts: 507
    Haha, bought my second FB at Westfield and completed my S4 S5 collection :)

Heading to Kew garden with a bag of Lego...
  • GrogallGrogall Munich, GermanyMember Posts: 159
    Was nice and quiet at the Munich store this morning, about 20-25 people, picked up a TH, FB, GE, and the sopwith, nice that you get a big PAB cup for free! and got 5 of the Monster Fighter promos!
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,572
    Stratford was nice and civilized today too. Nice to catch up/meet everyone who was there.
    I got everything I intended, plus the CMF Rock band and witch polybag. It was touch and go whether I got the pencil holder and beach CMF pack too but decided against them :-)
  • AnseltheCatAnseltheCat Member Posts: 141
    I really wanted to go to Stratford this morning, but alas I was working. Maybe next time. Do you think they would let me bring Ansel on an AFOL day? He says it stands for Adult Feline Of Lego!
  • gifinimgifinim UKMember Posts: 174
    I want to Manchester this morning and it was really quiet - I doubt there were more than ten people there at a time. Hats off to the staff who were wonderful, friendly and scarily happy at that time in a morning.

Most people seemed to be carrying at least one Haunted House, but there were still some when I left. And I finally got a Brickley!
  • pd66pd66 UKMember Posts: 173
    ^ did you notice if they have any of the advent calendars in stock at Manchester?
  • gifinimgifinim UKMember Posts: 174
    They had lots of all three of them this morning. There were a lot still on the shelves when I left.
  • Short_RoundShort_Round Member Posts: 161
    bluemoose said:

How do you guys find out about these afol shopping days? I'm a vip member but get no notifications of these things.

They make it very clear that sets bought on the AFOL discount days are for personal use only and are not for resale.
    Who said anything about resale? I buy Lego for myself, to build.

• TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    ^It was mentioned here, and is open to any AFOL, but it's mainly aimed at LUG members. Check out Brickish.
  • Short_RoundShort_Round Member Posts: 161
    ^Hey Rich, unfortunately was back in hospital again recently, so been away from any Lego news unfortunately :/

btw: Have you built the IF yet? What do you make of it?

• bricksanbricksan Member Posts: 566
    It was nice to meet more people from here today, will have to arrange a northern get together soon guys and girls.
  • TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    ^Not yet - unfortunately my build table is overrun with boxes and loose parts at the moment from a recent eBay frenzy. I'm looking forward to it though. I'll post some pics next to some of my other ships once I have.
  • VenunderVenunder Grimsby, UK.Member Posts: 2,645
    The news so far makes me happy that I did not go Sheffield today. Even though I did receive an invitation card last Monday for the Grand Opening.

The whole experience sounds quite horrible.
    But I hate any sales crushes ... :)
    I'm not surprised they had trouble, since the store is only big enough for about 100 people before health and safety becomes an issue. :)

The other AFOL events at Manchester and Stratford sound much more civilized.
    Maybe I'll go to the next AFOL day? :)
    It would be nice to meet a few other AFOL's from Brickset.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,258
    ^ it really wasn't horrible at all, quite civilised really during the time I was there and you could move around the shop pretty comfortably. Lots of Bricksetters there and there was a good atmosphere.
  • CalvCalv Central EnglandMember Posts: 904
    I missed the AFOL event at Stratford as I was en route to the Paralympics and we were being herded along. Still the Paralympics were fantastic and it was an incredible experience being in a packed Olympic Stadium. Watched Richard Whitehead win gold and we raised the roof. I didn't expect to be singing the National Anthem today, but got the chance when Richard was presented with his Gold.

Anyway back to Lego, I did call at the store afterwards and got a Haunted House at 15:30, so at least Stratford had some left. Not many grab bags left, but as I was picking through one bin, a Lego store employee told me to try the other bin as the selection was better. I found some bags and got a rare assortment of parts, waiting to be sorting out.

Staff at Stratford are really friendly and treat you like a long lost friend. How they keep cheerful in such a hectic environment I dont know, but my thanks to them all.

I am wondering why a lot of people are interested in Lego (starwar,city,friends) advent calendar? Is there any special about them? mini build?
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    ^ I think a lot of this is speculators gambling on short supply near xmas. I saw a lot of people go for advent calendars this morning in sheffield. I saw one person with 6 Friends calendars, others with several of Friends and Star Wars combined.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716

Who said anything about resale? I buy Lego for myself, to build.

Chill. I wasn't accusing you of anything, just trying to give you the context for the event. You did ask after all.
    Yes indeed, @richo, I saw a lot of people bought many of these calendar this morning at Westfield as well. It looks like they are even more popular than HH!

Are they going to sell these less than RRP near Christmas (with the advantage of 15% off)?
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind CheshireMember Posts: 2,101
    edited September 2012
    ^ last year a lot of places ran out of the calenders so the prices being asked were rather high. Plus looks like America might not get the friends calender or will but limited so can make money off that.
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 788
    edited September 2012
    If this were to ever hit the US in the future, what would decide the term "adult" in AFOL to the Lego Store?

• bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    Probably 16+. Would that be a problem?
  • martynmartyn Reading, UKMember Posts: 148
    Had fun and spent way too much at Shepherds Bush Westfield this morning. Staff really nice and let me get a box of series 8 as I had the kids and wife looking at the window when I asked if I could get 16 for each of us.
  • PJ_MaybePJ_Maybe Member Posts: 1
    Enjoyable experience at Bluewater Lego store this morning. Took me a while to figure out how to get into the shopping centre when the usual department store entrances are shut! Lego staff enthusiastic and friendly. Came away with Grand Emporium, Fire Brigade, Medieval Market Village, Ewok Attack and Quinjet Aerial Battle, plus 3 zombie cars! Will be a happy but poor builder for a while now!
  • PhoneboothPhonebooth USMember Posts: 1,430
    I hit Shepherds Bush this morning. Got the standard HH, S8 and the SW calendar. Met some nice folks while going through the S8, but not sure if they were bricksetters...
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 788
    bluemoose said:

Probably 16+. Would that be a problem?

Lego is just that awesome. Looking forward to the future... :D

• JessyDooDahJessyDooDah UK Member Posts: 228
    @adammullins were you there with a lady looking for a full set? It may have been me helping you with S8. :)
    I had a great time, and everyone was really friendly @ SB, staff and AFOL's alike. I bought HH, creationary, and evil robot and bat figs. Unfortunately the 15% discount wasn't added to my second transaction so I'll see if customer service can help on Monday. :)
  • PhoneboothPhonebooth USMember Posts: 1,430
    @jessydoodah - my girlfriend was there feeling up the S8 with me. We were the two Americans :)
  • JessyDooDahJessyDooDah UK Member Posts: 228
    Ah yes, then I did see you @adammullins !
    I hope you managed to get a full set of S8 :)