Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2013 SW SETS (no pic.)!

Comments

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409

While the SSD was great against capital ships a small fighter can always get through against them. A real life example of this is the Battle of Midway where the Japanese fleet was destroyed by superior american air power or the loss of the prince of wales near Singapore by Japanese aircraft.

True, but the difference is that the Japanese aircraft carriers did not have shields. :)

Shields either work, or they don't. In a way, the shields on the Star Destroyers is much like the Stormtrooper armor, nearly useless, at least in the world that Star Wars presents. Why bother with them at all given how completely useless both are.

Finally, I was not talking about fighters, I was talking about Home One, the MC-80 Mon Calamari cruiser that Admiral Acbar was on-board. If that ship pulls up next to a Super Star Destroyer, it shouldn't last more than a minute, if that. The shields would not be able to withstand hundreds of turbo-lasers firing at it at the same time. If it could, then turbo-lasers are useless as well.

That is the fun part of shields, even in our world. Either you have heavy enough weapons are powerful enough to blast through shields, or you can both just sit there all day blasting away, accomplishing nothing.

But if the shields can withstand heavy gun fire from capital ships, then there isn't anything small fighters can do to hurt you. Keep in mind that this is not armor plate, like that used on battleships of WWII, where a single penetration can destroy the whole ship. You must defeat the entire shield, using either heavy guns or torpedoes. If your shields can't withstand a few torpedoes, then they would also be useless against heavy guns, and thus you wouldn't bother with them at all.

*ok, now I need to go find a horse to beat* :)
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,964
    Ill see if I can can find one :-D. We need the picture from the re sellers conversation. This is what happens when you get two nerds...I mean people going.

Of course Home one doesn't engage with the SSD is the counter argument in all the shots its to far away. The slump that Ackbar does once the thing has been destroyed suggests that he was worried about the thing or that ships had tried and been destroyed.

Shields also arent all encompassing as well. So while a small ship can produce a force field to encompass itself. a ship that size wouldnt be able to produce enough power to cover itself entirely. As hinted by the line "we have lost bridge deflectors", which suggest shields are still up in other places. So if you can take down a small section then target that area. It can cause damage. The common line is that the star destroyers bridge shields, housed in the bubble thing above it, are vulnerable.

Oh dear god I need a girlfriend :-D
  • Firox5000Firox5000 Member Posts: 61
    I think it would be great if Lego released another updated twin pod cloud car figure scale model and also a royal naboo starship.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    ^ A royal naboo ship would be great but to do it right it'd have to be all chrome and I doubt they'd make that many pieces in the chrome or if they did the set would be 25 cents or more per piece. If they don't do it in chrome it'll probably just look like the sith infiltrator and that would be garbage.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002

...and whats his face...

Admiral Piett.

The common line is that the star destroyers bridge shields, housed in the bubble thing above it, are vulnerable.

Those are ISD-72x shield generators... and that part drives me absolutely nuts, actually. They are EXACTLY the same as the shield generators on the Imperial-I class Star Destroyers... yet I'm expected to believe they're just as effective when employed on the Executor?
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    OMG!!! There are Star Wars nerds and then there are Star Wars NERDS. I Think my testosterone levels dropped just by reading all of this...lol. Just kidding :)
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,013
    I wonder what 2013 may bring for the UCS line (hopefully OT).
    ^ UCS SandCrawler, given the Cuusoo thing?
    It's not so different from the normal one from years ago as it looks in photos. It would be great if there was some other Ep4 Tatooine stuff out at the same time like Tusken Raiders, Lars Moisture farm, a Dewback trooper set etc. I'd still rather see an AT-AT sooner though.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    @monkeyhanger - surprisingly almost all UCS sets have been OT, with only 2 so far belonging to PT: Grievous and Obi-Wan Starfighter. Both of which sold poorly and performing poorly in the aftermarket (so far). So Lego hears the fans loud and clear when we say 'OT Only please' for the UCS line.

^^ LFT - Built the Sandcrawler #10144 last night and was satisfied with it, but not spectacularly in awe as I expected. Nice at its current scale, but can be a bit boring if bigger at UCS scale. So hoping for something better and more colorful, like a UCS Gunship.
    Brickdancer: TLG have to avoid the flop sets. They must know by now that AFOLs would seem to make up the vast majority of UCS customers, and AFOLs generally aren't fussed on the PT. The PT mainly has vehicles which are devolved from OT vehicles, apart from the Clone gunship. That is by far my favourite PT vehicle, but I probably still wouldn't have one when something OT could be taking up my shelf space instead.
    edited August 2012
    ^Forgot to include UCS Darth Maul bust as a 3rd PT set.

But yea PT was short on memorable vehicles. Sith Infiltrator would be boring and all grey, Jar Jar would be the most despised Lego bust ever, Podracers can't be UCS-ized, MTT and AT-TE are at right scales already so might be hard to enlarge to UCS size. A good choice for PT would be the Gungan Sub since its quite colorful and fancy design. However, Lego has not released a UCS set while a minfig-scale version of the same set is current (except ISD?), so the Gungan Sub is out of question for a couple more years at least. On the same token, this is the first time we haven't had a Slave-1 on the shelves in a while *Hint TLG, hint!* That is a guaranteed winner, way more than the B-wing will be.
    ^ You make a great point...

Why UCS B-Wing, a ship that was in the movie for 10 seconds, never did anything, never fired a weapon, over Slave 1, a ship that was in most of the movies, both OT and PT, that had one of the fan favorites in Boba Fett?
    edited August 2012
    ^Exactly! Why the B-wing was chosen first, I will never know. My Top 5 wishlist for UCS OT are: Slave-1, AT-AT, Speeder Bike, Vader or Boba Fett Bust.

I would like LEGO to do another "Vote for next UCS set" campaign.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 873
    UCS Slave I would be quite popular. And it would be more colorful than many of the existing UCS sets, to boot.

What would be even cooler would be if they were to include two sets of parts -- one to make the Jango Slave I and one to make the Boba Slave I. Presumably the frame would be the same, all that would change would be the plating. But the plating makes up the bulk of the parts, so probably not likely . . . .
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561

^Forgot to include UCS Darth Maul bust as a 3rd PT set.

You forgot to include the 10026 Naboo Starfighter.
  • lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 417
    It's blatantly obvious we need a true UCS 10195.
    Good catch @prof1515 ! That was indeed a PT ship too. Still shocked to see this one go for 6xRRP as MISB.

But I do wonder how the new A-wing will look like, as well as its size. If this were to be made into a UCS set in the future, the A-wing wouldn't be much bigger than it already is I imagine. Look what they did with the Naboo Fighter, same size in UCS as it is #7877. Virtually the identical, but without Chrome pieces.
    edited August 2012

Why UCS B-Wing, a ship that was in the movie for 10 seconds, never did anything, never fired a weapon, over Slave 1, a ship that was in most of the movies, both OT and PT, that had one of the fan favorites in Boba Fett?

To be fair, it's not LEGO's fault that the B-Wing is considered a key ship in the Rebel fleet. The toy juggernaut was already running at full steam in 1983, and the B-Wing was merchandised based on key scenes featuring the B-Wing that were ultimately cut from Jedi because the model was so thin it didn't photograph well against the blue screen.

That doesn't excuse it getting chosen over Slave I, but realistically, as far as the OT is concerned, Slave I actually has less screen time than the B-Wing and is just as useless. You could also argue that the AT-AT is too cost-prohibitive to do properly... but here's what I find odd and nearly inexcusable - We're thirteen years into the Star Wars license... and we don't have a UCS TIE Fighter? To me, this is a staggering omission. This is the staple Imperial ship, and it somehow continues to be completely passed over by far less relevant ships and vehicles (and yes, I would include the B-Wing and Slave I in that grouping).

Side note: Slave I is only in two of the movies, which most wouldn't consider to be most. :D
  • effalconeffalcon Member Posts: 71
    I'm actually not sure if i'd buy a UCS Tie Fighter.. its just a bland ship compared to the 2 UCS Tie's that have been done.
    edited August 2012
    y2josh said:

To be fair, it's not LEGO's fault that the B-Wing is considered a key ship in the Rebel fleet. The toy juggernaut was already running at full steam in 1983, and the B-Wing was merchandised based on key scenes featuring the B-Wing that were ultimately cut from Jedi because the model was so thin it didn't photograph well against the blue screen.

That doesn't excuse it getting chosen over Slave I, but realistically, as far as the OT is concerned, Slave I actually has less screen time than the B-Wing and is just as useless. You could also argue that the AT-AT is too cost-prohibitive to do properly... but here's what I find odd and nearly inexcusable - We're thirteen years into the Star Wars license... and we don't have a UCS TIE Fighter? To me, this is a staggering omission. This is the staple Imperial ship, and it somehow continues to be completely passed over by far less relevant ships and vehicles (and yes, I would include the B-Wing and Slave I in that grouping).

Side note: Slave I is only in two of the movies, which most wouldn't consider to be most. :D
    Slave I definitely had more screen time than the B-Wing. In Empire you saw it follow the Millennium Falcon to Cloud City. You saw the ship and then it cuts to Boba Fett at the controls. Then at Cloud City, it sat on the landing pad while Boba Fett tells the guards to put Han Solo in the cargo hold. This is not only about the ship, but Boba Fett himself.
    Slave I has a rich history. Owned (stolen) by Jango and inherited after his death by Boba. What about Slave II, Slave III, Slave IV?
    edited August 2012
    Pitfall69 said:

Slave I has a rich history. Owned (stolen) by Jango and inherited after his death by Boba. What about Slave II, Slave III, Slave IV?

What about them? The Slave II and Slave IV are fairly ridiculous looking ships (not that Slave I isn't) and Slave III is completely insignificant. To me, the laughable nature and limited efficacy of these ships seemed more an attempt to turn Boba Fett into some Batman-style joke rather than enrich the character... but that's another conversation.

As for screen time, yes, there is the scene of Slave I just sitting there doing nothing, and I neglected to include that. The point is, strictly within the trappings of the OT, both ships are insignificant and neither deserves to be a UCS model over many ships that have been overlooked, including the TIE Fighter, the A-Wing, the AT-AT, the Khettana, or even a speeder bike.

Now, if we want to go outside of what's strictly presented onscreen, you can make a strong case for Slave I, but the same can be said of the B-Wing at that point.

And don't get me wrong - I love Boba Fett's Slave I - but if we're choosing the UCS models based strictly on screen time in the OT... Slave I is way towards the bottom of the list.
    Addendum: I'd have to time it to be sure, but I just went back and watched the space battle in Jedi, and it's entirely possible the B-Wings actually do have more screen time than Slave I, even if you factor in the 'sitting on the landing platform' time. Up until the battle actually starts, the B-Wings are literally everywhere. It's a close call either way.
    ^ You might be right, I guess one of the key factors is that I think the Slave 1 is memorable from Empire, while the B-Wing is invisible if you are not looking for it.

Even the A-Wing is only known because it crashed into the bridge of the Executor. The B-Wing needed such a scene, shame they cut it. It could have been added back in with the Special Editions, that would be a better addition than Greedo shooting first.

For that matter, while the look and feel of the space battle from Jedi is now historical memory, it would be nice to have that done properly now.
    Jangos Slave I is exactly the same ship as Boba Fett's. Boba Fett modified it when he inherited it, so you will have to include PT time as well. I'm not talking about screen time anyway. I just included that. I said that it is more about Boba Fett as a whole than just his ship.
    edited August 2012
    In the Bible, Lot's wife gets turned into a pillar of salt. She is only "famous" for this, but yet her name is never mentioned in the Bible. The A-Wing is best known for crashing into the Executor and causing it's destruction when it crashes into the Death Star. Outside of that, it doesn't play a major role in any of the Star Wars films, but that one scene is famous.

I may have not used a great example, but everyone knows that story in the Bible and most Star Wars fans know that scene in Return of the Jedi yet both have little "screen time" :)
    ^ I've never heard that Bible story before, so I guess I'm no one... that salt probably doesn't even come in a box either, does it? :)
    Hahahaha. Yeah, like I said...bad example :)
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    The scene isn't really famous at all nor are the ships involved. The Star Destroyer's pass over the camera in the original Star Wars is famous but most people couldn't even tell you there was such a thing as an A-Wing or a Super Star Destroyer.
    How much bigger than system would a UCS MF scale Slave I be? We've only just gotten rid of the last system model, it's not been unavailable for ages. Going purely from screentime at the movies, Boba isn't much of a legend - he was handed Han on a plate and had lots of Imperial assistance in Empire and was pretty inept in the Skiff fights before the Sarlacc swallowed him. I think that's the one thing the PT did right - hard characters acted hard. Going purely on lightsaber techniques and use of the force seen in Ep 3, I would say PT Anakin, Obi Wan and Dookoo would thrash OT Vader, Obi Wan and Luke in a fight.

With the right parts (maybe a few new ones to keep the feet building part count down) I think a UCS AT-AT around 5000 parts could be achieveable, and if it's minifig scale and includes some, maybe some (rich) kids will buy it as well as AFOLs.
    ^ The differences in Jedi/Sith abilities between OT and PT are large indeed, but then again so are the books in the 90's, starting with the Zahn books.

There are times when Luke with a blade is unstoppable, other times he struggles.

It is probably quite hard to come up with a consistent level of ability, too much and it is boring, not enough, and they are useless. :)
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,964
    @Pitfall69 hey I have lots of testosterone; I listen to all the manly bands like The Village people, Jonas brothers, justin beiber, scissor sisters, george micheal, boy george. All very manly people. :-D

I think what would be great is if they released slave i but included the parts to swap it over. so if you wanted jango's the bits are there or if you want to Bobba's the bits are there. Your killing to birds with one stone and it pleases fans of both PT and OT
    edited August 2012
    I love that idea. Should the set include a "Han in carbonite"?
    Regardless of whether Boba Fett is a legend or not based on screen time is irrelevant. He IS one of the most "famous" Star Wars characters of All-Time.

How much bigger than system would a UCS MF scale Slave I be?

The problem here is, across all media, Slave I's size has been wildly inconsistent. If you go by the official specs for the Firespray, a Slave I in scale with the UCS Falcon would be roughly 21" long, 21" wide and 7.5" tall. The UCS B-Wing, of course, is a much larger scale, so they'd have room to go that route with Slave I if they wanted to.
    y2josh: From your quoted measurements it would seem that it would be about 1.5x bigger in all dimensions vs system, meaning 3.4 x bigger and potentially 2 to 3 times more parts than the 600 odd there were in 8097. For it's size, 8097 had a low count because the ave part size was quite big, and fewer parts means (generally) lower detail. If we could get teh part count up to about 2000 (inc Jango and Boba parts to swap), I think people would go for it. I still want a UCS AT-AT first though.
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 502
    For anyone who grew up with OT Star Wars, Boba Fett was a superstar of the screen. All of the bounty hunters captured our attentions, but none more than Boba. Reason, Darth Vader seemed to have respect for him, in the "I'm not going to even choke you" kind of response. We picked up on that small bit of movie reality.

The B Wing, I knew that one by sight after I watched a Thanksgiving movie marathon back around 1989, and I wanted that ship more than an X-Wing.

Great conversation, but the reality is simple, screen time does not equate to character or ship fame; and for those who remember these films during an era where there were very few space operas worth watching, both ships were known even by people who don't "do" sci-fiction.

Now, where is Mara Jade?
    Exactly. Also, for many OT fans who grew up with the movies, some of our favorites are based on our childhood action figure memories. Boba Fett was an awesome action figure that was an exclusive you had to mail away for at first. So was Admiral Ackbar, I think. No wonder we loved them.

And heck, I still have fond memories of Pruneface, even though I couldn't tell you a thing about him (and I know a LOT of Star Wars nonsense).
    It wouldn't have to be that much bigger than the sets already available. The whole point of the UCS line is that it is a high level of detail not about size. i dont think they are always linked.
    I'll be 41 in less than a month and I grew up with the Original Trilogy films. I remember that day my mom took me to see Star Wars. I loved Star Wars flashing through the screen and then the rolling words on the screen. "I'm 7!!! I don't want to read...oh wait...big ship shooting at smaller ship. Much better" lol. As a child, I didn't nick pick every scene, I didn't care. I just wanted all the toys. Empire is my favorite movie and Boba Fett is one reason why.
    edited August 2012
    ^^ Exactly, @Pitfall69. I'm a little younger than you (34) so I only saw ROTJ in the theaters and I was 5 at the time, but the toys and later viewings of the movies on TV/VHS absolutely cemented my love as well.

Of course, few us ever got "all" of the toys that we wanted. I missed the boat on the first movie, for example, so most of my toys were Empire and Return -- probably why I trend towards those two as my favorites.

I'm pretty sure that almost all adult toy collectors start out with the "wait, you mean that, for a sum of money that I now have, I can buy the toy I always wanted but never had as a kid? Really?" I know it did for me in the early 90s when a toy show came to the local mall selling old Kenner SW figures. I just HAD to have a Tauntaun, immediately raced upstairs to the attic to find my Hoth Luke, and then went back to get the Hoth Han I never had as a kid. (I had Hoth Leia as well, so needed Hoth Han to complete the collection, you see . . . .but then of course needed Cloud City Leia to complete the Bespin set, and . . . .)

Bringing it all back on topic, THIS is why the OT toys resonate so much more. And after completing my UCS Falcon (still a steal at about $300 after replacing glued parts), I have to say that it was totally worth it.
    Out of all my OT toys the AT-AT and the X-wing were by far my favourite. Biggest disappointment though was putting the battle scarring stickers on the X-wing and then realising what a mistake it was and trying to peel them off. My mate a few streets away as a kid had loaded parents and a huge bedroom - he had all the figs in proportion, he had about 70 stormies, and his Dad had a proper stormtrooper suit from Episode 4 on a dummy guarding the landing. He paid about £1500 for it in '84 at a time when the average house in our area was £30k.
    So, in case you are just joining us. We all have kinda went off topic...lol. I guess the point us older AFOL's are making is that, because we grew up with the Original Trilogy movies, we prefer OT ships and characters and we see them in a different light other than how much screen time they had.
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 502
    @hoyatables, Admiral Ackbar was a mail-in offer... just like the Obiwan ghost that followed. I actually went to the recycle center (digging for cereal UPC symbols) so I could send off for many Obiwans. If I only knew where they were, I could sell them to buy more Lego :)

Yes - screen time means nothing... as proven by the Jaws effect of seldom seen shark, but people still scared of the water 30 years later.
    All this discussion of Boba Fett is really having a Thundercats effect on me... Thundercats was awesome when I was kid, but when I try to rewatch it, I just can't do it because of how utterly absurd it is.

Boba Fett was awesome when I was a kid, but for the life of me, I couldn't tell you why. He doesn't do anything in the OT, he's just silly in the EU, the PT turns him into a glorified stormtrooper (which may well be why he's so inept)... really, the only material in which he's portrayed as being a match for anyone is the Clone Wars cartoon.

I still love Boba Fett, of course, but it's more a Dragon Ball Z kind of love, where I freely recognize how dumb it is, but still have a strong sense of nostalgia for it. I'm not at all sure why Thundercats isn't the same way. Maybe I was way too young when Thundercats was on.
    ^ :) Yes, but remember that all of Star Wars is rather silly, but we seem to love it anyway.
    y2josh: One ridiculous watch that I can't help going back to is the old Adam West Batman episodes (I was too young to watch them first time around - 36). Thundercats was OK, but for me the stand-out cartoons of my childhood were Transformers and Ulysses 31. Star Wars just never dies - it's more than just a kid's fad - I was playing with Star Wars toys for many years after the films films had gone from the cinema. Most kids toys made around a theme now seen to have a shelf life of 2 years.

Anyways, slightly back on topic - if TLG are going to start treating us to 2 UCS sets per year then no one still has a clue what's coming next year. Will the IS be going to make way for the B-Wing in October? The IS has to be the most underwhelming UCS set for the price in print, but see one in the flesh and it's a must buy.
  • JoinceJoince Member Posts: 8
    I have never heard before all what you shared.
    The one of two things that have really carried on through my life from being a Kid are the prequel trilogy's. Being 11 the pod racing scene blew my mind as did the final fight scene between Maul and the jedi. It was the same feeling that OT fans have when they talk about those films like the opening scene of ANH. its the reason I get annoyed about prequel bashing, fine if you didn't like the films but you have to remember this turned on millions of kids to star wars and it had the same effect.

Anyway I think the IS will be the one to make way for the B wing. its been about a while so get it while you can. Im saving for it already.