Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Collecting Boxes

Comments

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    ^^ @sidersdd - I have a 7191 UCS X-Wing box that I'd consider selling... PM me if you're interested...
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,453
    Either most of you have enormous Lego collections or you live in a very small home or apartment :) I will keep all my boxes...I just have to.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432

^^ @sidersdd - I have a 7191 UCS X-Wing box that I'd consider selling... PM me if you're interested...

PM sent.

• FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,211
    edited August 2012
    We are moving to a new home this week. I just threw out 55 boxes, I don't want to store them anymore. It was a hard thing to do. But I will never sell those sets, so I figured I did not need to waste the space any longer.
    Either most of you have enormous Lego collections or you live in a very small home or apartment :) I will keep all my boxes...I just have to.
    Our new place is 5800 square feet, and I still toss over half of them.
    Nice, that's a lot of space :)
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    @FollowsClosely did any of those 55 happen to match my list of wanted boxes further up the thread?
    My problem is I still have most of my sports cards and GI Joe's from my childhood. I also have a Star Wars collection from 1995-present. Something has to give.
  • DuchessaDuchessa Member Posts: 287
    I keep all my boxes, and I've spent a lot of money on buying older boxes as well, but I have no problem with others throwing theirs away. I do however think that it might be money down the drain for them, since they can be sold instead and generate some money. But if people want to throw away money, I can't stop them. I mean, people burn/smoke up their money as well... :)
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,211

@FollowsClosely did any of those 55 happen to match my list of wanted boxes further up the thread?

Ey me look, nope. I kept all the good boxes.
  • beegeedeebeegeedee Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 380
    I did start keeping them but recently I got a set where I ziplocked the set and it took up less than 1/4 of the box space inside the box itself. So I've been ditching mine and the original bags too. What I did was buy a whole load of ziplock bags of varying sizes so to keep it nice and compact.

The downside is I don't know what is in each bag at a glance. Also, I've no system of storage so it's a nightmare to trawl through a couple of hundred sets all in these bags. I did start with food bags but then you have a 40pc set in a massive bag...or the opposite when you have to split a large set across 3-4 bags, it gets very difficult to sort through them all.

So, my latest discovery is CD marker on the top edge. Doesn't smudge and it has the set numbers and names. 4 sets down, 200+ to go.

I also plan to get these collapsible crates - relatively inexpensive (5 euro each) and stackable. About 5 or 6 will hold the majority of the sets and I'll sort the sets into these crates by theme or something.

I did toy with the idea of parting out the sets into tubs but then I watched a sorting video and it put me right off the idea... :D
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,395
    ^ If you are going to throw the box away why not cut the picture off (or part of it) and stick it in the bag with the pieces. If you need multiple bags, also keep the box flaps.
    Allow me to toss another thought into the ring...

If you have 200+ sets taken apart in storage for lack of a place to display them, do you really need those 200 sets in the first place?

We are reaching the limits of space to display sets (my wife would say we passed it long ago). As we take sets apart, a very select few we'll keep, otherwise we'll sell the rest. There will always be something new to build, the future is forward, older sets sitting in storage for years seems rather wasteful.

The only sets I'm committed to keeping on display now are the UCS sets and large sculptures, otherwise I think it is all temporary.

I of course reserve the right to change my mind. :)
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,825
    ^ It's frightening how many aspects of our lives are as similar as they are.....and then others couldn't be further apart! :-)
    We are having another child and to commemorate our first child's birth we bought the Grand Carousel and it is displayed in her room. It is her first Lego set and will be hers when she gets old enough. When we find out what our next child is I will do the same thing. I always keep the boxes, but I can imagine once these kids get into Legos, there will be a big problem in this house.
    edited August 2012
    Received my MISB #6208 B-Wing a couple days ago (in anticipation of the upcoming UCS-version) and was pleasantly surprised by how nice the box was. Didn't realize it before, but the ship was actually embossed on the front, it looked fantastic!! If any box deserved saving, this is one of them. Are there any other sets that got similar treatment?

On an opposite note, not too keen on the box type that comes with the flip up front lid and corner tabs that need to be ripped to do so. i.e. X-wing (#7191) and Boeing Dreamliner (#10177). It leaves the box looking damaged permanently.
    Yes, a lot of the Black Box editions of the sets were embossed.
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    edited August 2012
    Pitfall69 said:

If there is one thing i hate about recent star wars Lego boxes its having characters from the prequels and clone wars on original trilogy sets, i know Lego have to obey with whatever theme the packaging is for a particular year but i really don't like what theyve been doing recently, the 2011 box packaging was horrible.

Bring back 10030 packaging designs!!!
    edited August 2012
    Pitfall69 said:

This was before my time, so I know AT-AT #4483 had a Black box edition, but what other sets had that variant?

I just got my #6211 ISD and it is also embossed. Didn't realize it before either from the pics. The effect is subtle compared to the B-Wing box. But you can feel the individual studs on the hull, the figs in the command center, as well as the smooth tile piece towards the back. Very nice indeed!
    Yes, this probably added to the price as well. That whole year they had the Blue Box and an alternate Original Trilogy Edition. I don't know what ones were sold where.
  • timinchicagotiminchicago USAMember Posts: 239
    I just received a new Monster Fighters set and a new SW set. The SW set comes in a glossy, smooth box while the MF set comes in a matte, coarse box. The SW box is much nicer.
  • thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    edited August 2012
    ^ That's what you're paying for when you pay extra for SW Lego. A nicer box. (i'm half joking here).
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,917
    Yup, I love the thick and glossy SW boxes.
    Yes, smooth glossy all the way. The matte boxes end up looking old after awhile.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    I have begun flattening the boxes for the sets I have put together and have on display to make storage easier. Anyone have any advice on the older lid type boxes though like the #10174 AT-ST or #10129 Snowspeeder? it doesn't look like this can be flattened without actually damaging the box itself.
  • BeardedCastleGuyBeardedCastleGuy Member Posts: 127

Allow me to toss another thought into the ring...

If you have 200+ sets taken apart in storage for lack of a place to display them, do you really need those 200 sets in the first place?

We are reaching the limits of space to display sets (my wife would say we passed it long ago). As we take sets apart, a very select few we'll keep, otherwise we'll sell the rest. There will always be something new to build, the future is forward, older sets sitting in storage for years seems rather wasteful.

The only sets I'm committed to keeping on display now are the UCS sets and large sculptures, otherwise I think it is all temporary.

I of course reserve the right to change my mind. :)

Of course some of us don't buy the sets as display pieces or thinking about eventual resale and thus don't care about the boxes (mostly, I have been saving the Castle ones but the rest get recycled).
    One great thing about the hobby we share, there is no 'One, True Way' to it. If I can build my castle related stuff ,and for example, LFT and has his UCS and large sculptures displayed and life is good for all involved. One of the guys in my LUG builds stuff but doesn't keep any minifigures, he trades them away, another does mostly mosaics, yet another is also a member of the local train LUG.
    So to me sets are pretty much parts packs that have a primary design for the enclosed parts but I'm free to use them however. So with a few exceptions once I build it and take it down or once I burst them open to save space the parts migrate into the 'Collective' parts bins and while I have them complete it's not discretely separated. Other folks treat each set as a individual thing that happens to be made up from many pieces and thus it resides in it's box (or baggie or whatever) in the time it's not built. Either way life is still good for all involved as I mentioned earlier there is no 'One, True Way' to our hobby, all we have to do is enjoy it the way we like.

^ Amen... :)
    I'm all over the place without a clear direction on where I want to go. I realize I can't have it all. I have a small village displayed in my office and Modular Buildings in the Front Room, Star Wars sets in the theater. I have sealed sets and boxes and bins everywhere. I love the boxes and therefore I want to keep them, but something has to give.
    I just received my sealed Market Street (*happy dance*) and was surprised to see that it has the old perforated punch seals. Not that I'm complaining, I love that kind of seal since you know it hasn't been tampered with. I will be opening this but was wondering to best preserve the value of the box would you recommend opening the box carefully with the perforated punch holes and then flattening it or razor cut along one edge leaving the perforations in tact?
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    I would razor cut it along the edge.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,308
    ^^ I normally cut through the glue with a sharp knife, but sometimes it's tricky because you can start cutting into the box instead of through the glue, so it's best do be careful and go slowly if you do!
    Thanks for the advice :) I'll use a razor and try to cut along the edge with the glue.
    ^ Your going to build a sealed Market Street? That takes a lot of courage. :)
    Yes, I know it sounds a little crazy :) I'll do the same with Cafe Corner once that arrives in the mail as well. These being the last 2 retired sets that I wanted (plus a really bad recent auction experience with a used set) I figured I would go all out and get them new and have some fun for once instead of worrying about value.
    Nice choice. You've convinced me to open and build my sealed Green Grocer.
    That's a great set, enjoy the build :)
    Renny said:

Yes, I know it sounds a little crazy :) I'll do the same with Cafe Corner once that arrives in the mail as well. These being the last 2 retired sets that I wanted (plus a really bad recent auction experience with a used set) I figured I would go all out and get them new and have some fun for once instead of worrying about value.

I hear you...

I've had both very good and very bad experiences with used sets...

The 3450 - Statue of Liberty remains so far the very best possible experience. Every single brick was clean, they were all sorted, every single brick type was in its own zip-lock bag, neatly stacked on top of each other to keep from scratching. The entire thing was packed and protected so well, it was, I think, a better experience than opening a new one.

I am waiting for my used UCS Falcon to arrive, I suspect that will be close to, if not equal to the above experience, based on the pictures posted online.

My worst experience? A 10019 UCS Blockade Runner that was so dirty, I decided not to build it or clean it, the stickers were in such bad shape, I ordered a replacement sticker sheet. About 30 parts were missing (thankfully none really expensive, but still, that isn't the point).

So that one, I cleaned up a bit, replaced the missing parts, and will sell it on to someone who will actually get an HONEST disclosure rather than a bunch of BS. I bought a new 10019 to build because of that experience. :)

If I sell a used set that is mint, I'll say so. If it is a bit dusty and dirty, I'll say so, if it is not 100% complete, I'll say so. Why can't everyone do that?
  • cbaker1974cbaker1974 Member Posts: 150
    Another question along this line...I bought a cache of boxes on eBay for a song (about 100 boxes altogether). Most are from older discontinued sets and in good condition, so there is a market for them on eBay and Bricklink. My main question is how do I go about shipping these? For example, for a box the size of Green Grocer, how should I ship the box only? I've thought about using 2 large rigid pieces of cardboard on either side (or something sturdier...plywood?? not sure..)

I've got some other boxes that size that aren't as popular that might fetch $20 or so, but it seems like the shipping would kill the deal for most prospective buyers.
    edited August 2012
    The only box I have ever purchased was an Emerald Night box (only $2!). The seller had it flattened and secured it between 2 pieces of cardboard that covered the box on both sides. He then placed 2 bigger pieces of cardboard on each side, taped them together on all 4 sides and sent it to me. It arrived in perfect condition. You don't need to spend a lot of money on flat side loader boxes. If you have spare boxes lying around just find suitably sized "planks" of cardboard and sandwich the Lego set box. Now if you are selling them without flattening the box, well that's a different story.

edited August 2012
    @LegoFanTexas, that Statue of Liberty experience sounds awesome. My bad experience was with a used 10187 Beetle. I bought it used for $100. Seller claimed it was all there. Even included the box. I was excited that I could turn it around for a quick profit. Unfortunately the thing was a complete mess. The box was in rough shape but that was fine. The horror was what was waiting for me inside. The seller had just stuck everything in there without any bags, in various sized chunks. There was dirt, spider webs, leaves and dead flies all over. 80% of the pieces were sun damaged. Instructions were in poor shape, etc.

I have spent the last few weeks basically purchasing all new parts. New instruction manuals, new sticker sheet and over 1300 pieces. The last parts package is in the mail. Aside from the box this thing is now practically new except for about 300 some original parts which were still in good condition. I'll be looking to sell it soon but at a big loss. I'll just be glad to be done with it.
    ^ :) I feel for you, that sounds like it was a rotten deal.

Did you not, or could you not complain to the seller? In my case, I foolishly left the package unopened for too long, I opened it just enough to see that it was in fact a Lego set, then put it aside for about 3 months. A bit late to complain at that point.

Now I'm much more careful, opening everything right away to at least inspect that it is clean and sorted.
    The seller made no mention of condition in the auction and had a no return policy. I know I can file a claim through ebay but by not stating what the condition of the set was I don't think I would have much of a case. I'm just taking it as a lesson learned the hard way.
    ^ Sure you do, eBay will side with the buyer 99% of the time if the buyer says "not as described". You do have to pay to ship it back, but you should get a complete refund of all money paid, including original shipping.
    Good to know for any future disappointments :)

^ :) I feel for you, that sounds like it was a rotten deal.

Did you not, or could you not complain to the seller? In my case, I foolishly left the package unopened for too long, I opened it just enough to see that it was in fact a Lego set, then put it aside for about 3 months. A bit late to complain at that point.

Now I'm much more careful, opening everything right away to at least inspect that it is clean and sorted.

I hear yeah. I recently got this set from a guy in Texas and quickly opened it up and inspected everything. It was all there...and the box was in good condition. You can't be too careful. I've been to Texas...a lot if shifty people there ;)

:) Hey, at least it came with a BOX this time, right? :)
  • beegeedeebeegeedee Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 380
    edited August 2012
    @CCC I tried putting pictures in but in the end I bought a dozen 30L stackable crates, bagged up the sets and marked most of them with a marker. I grouped them by type too - technic, trains, creator etc. Some of the crates are crammed full and others are only 1/2 full. I also have a separate 42L crate where I've kept all the base plates and instructions which actually fill almost the entire crate. and also put the CMFs in there too

Of course, when I started collecting again I kept the minifigs separate which, in hindsight was really stupid and so I spent the better part of a weekend re-organising sets and re-bagging them and putting the minifigs back with the sets. Plus side I found a couple of figs I mis-placed.

@LegoFanTexas I have 2 young children so it's not really practical to leave the sets lying around although I did have a few sitting out - my daughter decided to tear down a model and them cram little plates in her mouth and my wife was furious and she was right to be. However, my son who is almost 3 loves playing with the built models, destructively but still, so I am keeping them for that reason. My biggest regret is my childhood lego collection was given away and will not be repeating the mistake.
  • BrixyBrixy United statesMember Posts: 57
    Hi,

I'm fairly new to collecting legos and like to build and display my sets. So far I have been saving all my boxes and while manageable now, I can for see a not so distant future where they may be a nuisance. Should I bother? I have no plans for resell currently but I suppose you never know. Curious as to what others do, and any ideas.

Thanks,
    Brixy
  • pcironepcirone Long Island, NYMember Posts: 346
    Flattened boxes are infinitely better than no boxes.
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 629
    edited December 2012
    Flatten them, that way they don't take up much room and you can re-use them in the future to store the sets you no longer display (that's what I do). If you can spare the room that's what I would recommend. You may come to find regretting tossing those boxes in the future when you can no longer acquire those sets easily.