Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Comments

• monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,939
    Wife/Girlfriend's ultimatum?
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    interesting. we need @legofantexas to tell us what a reasonable offer is. lol

I wonder what the declined offer was!
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 747
    Maybe raising money for the football club.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,005
    Just paying for it is a problem. He wants PayPal deposit plus bank transfer, so little buyer protection.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,963
    For the worst-case thinkers: If you paid the £1,500 deposit with a credit card and made the rest of the £25,000 payment via bank transfer, section 75 of the consumer credit act would allow you to reclaim the entire amount from your credit card company if the goods never turn up.

Such a claim should succeed, but it might take a little more effort, as the card company is likely to try and wiggle out of it by saying that your payment went to PayPal rather than directly to whoever you were buying the items from.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    edited August 2012
    Almost all of it is used and he doesn't guarantee that it doesn't smell of smoke, etc. Definite pass even if he was asking 1% of what he wants for it.
    ^ He also says he bought a lot of it from other homes. So third hand at least.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 868
    I would draw up a contract. Possibly put payment in escrow pending delivery. Not only do you have risk of seller but also of third party "man with a van" delivery. He is pretty up front about the condition.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    This is a deal I think I'd only do in person, unless the price was just amazing.

The unknowns are large, you really don't know what is complete and what isn't, nor could you really find out in a reasonable period of time after getting it, unless you had help and did nothing else.

This guy would make more money, in my personal opinion, if he split it up and sold it off in parts, but that is the case with most such collections. The number of people out there who would consider buying this are slim, and most would sell off the parts they don't want anyway.

As for what it is worth? I don't know, that would take an hour or more of math that I don't care to do, since I'm not buying it. :)
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,963
    If I were to spend 20k on Lego, I don't think I'd have any qualms about taking a day off to drive there in my own rented van! Unless a day off is worth more than 20k to me, in which case it probably wouldn't matter too much if I got ripped off...
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,515
    He's dreaming if he thinks someone will pay £25K for it - not a chance. The only way he'd realise anything like that kind of return is if he sold the items off individually.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Dave, come on, is this you winding us up?
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,400
    Must say this seems a touch insane. At that price the set average is around the £90 mark. Will keep checking in to see if it sells but I doubt it will, even as separates that £25k figure is unattainable I think.
    Maybe his signficant other asked him to get rid of them so he has put them up for sale to appease them but at a price he knows they will never go for, win win.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,772
    atkinsar said:

Dave, come on, is this you winding us up?

I wondered that. :-)
    Come on guys - you know me better than that. I have trouble parting with a £1.99 minifigure when I have 10 duplicates, so what chance my whole Star Wars collection ?

:-)
    ^

;-)
    edited August 2012
    Nah - it's amazing how persuasive handbags and shoes can be in helping to keep the peace....
    True words.
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 654
    In my opinion there is no way a deal can be done. Ignore the 25k for a moment and just concentrate on the shipping costs. They would be astronomical. If, by some chance some person was in the same town / city as this individual then yes I could see it, but other than that I would shudder to guess the shipping costs.

*tunes into Shipping Wars to see if they could handle that load*
  • ChanMcLChanMcL Member Posts: 1,224
    ^hire a van for the day and do it by himself maybe??

Is it time for another Brickset aunction to make it up to 25k then seperate it...?
    ^ No, because the entire lot isn't worth 25K Pounds... :)
    ^

As for what it is worth? I don't know, that would take an hour or more of math that I don't care to do, since I'm not buying it. :)

;-)
    :) Yes, but I don't have to do all the math to have an instant opinion.

Why don't I think it is worth the asking price? The source of all the sets is unknown, he is not the original owner so the whole thing might well be a mess. Or not, but I didn't see enough information in the listing to convince me otherwise.

If someone does think it is worth that, by all means, speak up. :)
  • LegoDad42LegoDad42 Member Posts: 63
    edited August 2012
    A collection like this and for the price you gotta' go out and see the collection in person. Who knows the condition and if everything he states is there complete. Plus it would be so time consuming to go through it all, checking condition, piece count. You might be able to have him part with choice sets if you negotiate in person.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,877
    If you had 25k spare I dont think you would mind to much if it wasn't 100% complete. lets face it you have just thrown 25k at lego. If I had the cash id take a punt. You could make up the money on selling on some of the stuff.

It could be someone who has hit a really bad patch in this economic situation.
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    It is an impressive collection, though. I'd love to know what exactly the deal is with the items that were never released by Lego (#6968. #8029 and #8040).
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 517

Hmmph. What if it was a Husband/boyfriend ultimatum?
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,939

Hmmph. What if it was a Husband/boyfriend ultimatum?
    He'd have to be a trekkie!

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,410

If you had 25k spare I dont think you would mind to much if it wasn't 100% complete. lets face it you have just thrown 25k at lego. If I had the cash id take a punt. You could make up the money on selling on some of the stuff.

It could be someone who has hit a really bad patch in this economic situation.

That's funny. In American Football, "punting" means that you passed on trying for a first down and you are giving the ball back to the other team by kicking it away.
    If I had a spare 25k I would NOT buy this collection. If anything, I would buy 12-14 UCS MF's and resell them after they hit their ceiling. This collection is a gamble.

• mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    Pitfall69 said:

This collection is a gamble.

And the way to assess how much of a gamble it was would be a huge amount of effort which I wouldn't see as being enjoyable.

After that, there'd be the task of off-loading large amounts of the collection to make the whole deal financially attractive.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    That is one crazy auction. I just don't see the auction selling at that asking price. If someone does purchase it I just don't see any profit there. It's time consuming just selling the older sets in msib condition, let alone used and possibly incomplete.

Add in shipping costs or possible rental of a truck, the storage space all of that collection would take up, the time it would take to inventory and check each set piece by piece to verify it is complete, possibly cleaning 100k+ pieces of Lego....it sounds endless. I think if I had 25k extra to invest in Lego I would be better served to spend it on new stock and not older used sets, many of which really are not in much demand.

More power to the person who does eventually ends up buying it though. That level of passion and commitment is beyond me.
    ^ What @Renny said...

:)

For $10K, if it were a local deal, I'd be interested. The time to just look at it and estimate the value would be pretty involved, the price just strikes me as double or triple what it should be.

If the seller wants that much, he needs to do some leg work and split it up.
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    edited August 2012
    I suppose that the seller isn't looking for an investor/reseller buyer, rather looking for a new collector, who has plenty of cash but, for some reason (just literally out of their dark age today?) hasn't bought any Star Wars sets up to now. A person deciding to build a full collection today would have quite a job on their hands. But I suppose there aren't many people like that.

But to be fair to the seller, I get the impression from the write up that he (or she) is a collector who has looked after this collection (2 of each rare minifig, one sealed, minifigs in individual baggies).

This hardly looks like someone who's spent ages piecing together each set just from any old source to make a quick killing, because that would have been a terrible investment from his part.

Maybe he'll find that one buyer out there...

I followed this thread and eBay auction though because it sees to bring up an interesting question of what is a collection worth? Can existing collections only have value when sold in a block to a reseller (at a discount implicitly) or set by set? Does one assume that all end collectors already have a chunk of sets so a full collection could never be sold?
    Is there one person on Earth who wants to buy, all at one time, a used copy of every Star Wars set ever released?

Yes, I'm sure there is.

Is that person:

1. In the UK to make shipping reasonable?
    2. Ready to buy right now?
    3. Happy to spend 25,000 Pounds ($40,000 USD)?
    4. Willing to take this specific lot?

That is a lot of ifs in my book. :)

Truth be told, most people would not have room for all that, nor do most people REALLY want every single set ever released. Lets face it, many of them were stinkers, or replaced with newer, or just flat out were boring.

Is there room to sell collections? Yes, of course. If someone offered every set that was released in 2006 or 2009, I think you'd find multiple takers for that deal. All 13 years worth? Not so much...
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    edited August 2012
    5.) wants a ready made collection rather than the thrill and excitement of building it up him/herself.

In my experience, many people enjoy the gradual accumulation, rather than buying the collection in one swoop.
    I can imagine some people do want every set. But not every set in one go. You cannot possible appreciate each one if they all come together. Maybe one a week, so you have time to build it, enjoy it. But if one was a bit boring, it would just go back in the box, and the next one would be out.
  • frhanlanfrhanlan Member Posts: 4
    Well, I just put all the numbered sets into Excel and Bricklinked all the used last 6 month prices. Some sets didn't have a used price so I substituted new. The unreleased sets weren't included.

This is ONLY the sets and none of the extra minifigs/magnets/books/media/other extras.

255 sets
    Total value: 17637.57 CAD (11355.11 GBP)

Sets valued at over $100: 44
    Total value of just those sets: 11238.91 CAD (7235.70 GBP)

After adding a generous amount for all the rest of the stuff, I'd say that collection is worth around 13000 GBP. So a bit more than half of the asking price. Zing!

Maybe he should just sell the 44 money sets by themselves and donate the rest, hehehe...
  • LegoPodcasterLegoPodcaster Member Posts: 115
    edited August 2012
    This was posted by Jeff in the Brickpicker.com forums, thought I would pass it on:

I grabbed all the set ids from the eBay listing and ran it through the database and then did a few manually. I came up with approximately $28,000 for that entire collection. So even if I missed something, I will throw in an extra $1000 USD just to cover everything. They are still well overpriced (they have it valued at $39,262.50 with the currency conversion. I don’t think convenience of not having to go out and find them is worth $10k.

By the way, the values I used were based on ‘New’ condition, I know a lot of the setup is used and I didn’t feel like doing each one individually. The used value was closer to $16-$17k, so it makes the lot very overpriced.
    ^ I suggested before that I would be interested at $10K (USD), if it were local.

Sounds like that might be about the right number, if most of it is used and has a "value" of $17K, then as a combined lot, $10K is probably a reasonable number to start at, if all the odds and ends aren't in there.

So in other words, the guy posting the listing is out of his rocker, but who knows, maybe he will get someone to bite. Stranger things have happened. :)
  • cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 806
    I should mention that all his seller feedback is for Lego starwars??
  • The_Sly_FoxThe_Sly_Fox Member Posts: 42
    I just put all the numbered sets into Excel using BrickLink used prices and came up with £18,224
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,400
    As someone who recently sold a bulk SW collection (not Lego however) I can say that unless he finds that one person that only decided to by Lego SW as of yesterday and has a lot of cash and no clue the only people that might buy something of this size are 'dealers' or people that want to 'flip' the lot (which are really dealers anyway), in that case the standard profit margin is around 300-400% so if this is really worth £18k then he will be lucky to get £6k. Just for reference the value on my collection was close to £18k and the highest dealer offer i got was £3k so i spent the year parting it out and selling some and storing other bits for the kids and i think i managed to get just under £5k for the bits i sold and keep about £2k's worth...
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    cavegod said:

Yes, as a BUYER. It it looks like they were building up the collection to sell it as a complete lot. Weird!

• y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    That 'one buyer' also needs to be on the UK mainland, so he's significantly limited his audience of potential buyers in that regard.

He also seems to have come down on the price a bit.
    He did lower it a bit...

I just took 10 minutes and read over his listing more closely and looked at the pictures again...

My prior estimate of $10K might be a bit on the low side. There are a handful of sets in there that really kick up the value, and the exclusives help as well, the pair of Chrome C-3POs for example. Some of those keychains and magnets shouldn't be ignored either, they all add up.

The problem becomes one of labor. If he were local and I bought it, either I just have to trust it is all there and sell the sets and hope it doesn't come back to bite me, or I have to check them all, which would be very time consuming and would largely eat up any profit to be made.

If it was all new, it would be an easy deal, but used? The collection is interesting and clearly a lot of time and effort was put into it. I just think the number of people who would be interested is quite limited. A reseller can't do much in the UK because of exchange rates, he/she is limited to selling to the UK and a few other places. If this were here, there would be a much larger market.

Oh well... :)
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    He says there's 'about 100000 pieces', which puts it at 22p per piece. I know thats just a rough figure, but its still way over the odds.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,877
    Pitfall69 said:

That's funny. In American Football, "punting" means that you passed on trying for a first down and you are giving the ball back to the other team by kicking it away.

Ha, I forget the UK uses words with a slightly different meaning. Although Im sure in a way it means the same thing. In the UK it means taking a gamble or risk based on a gut choice.

Im gonna once again be the odd nut here. I dont enjoy the chasing at all. I find it way to time consuming, stuff is expensive, you get bitten way to much. I enjoy the building and then taking it apart and putting it way ready for the amazing (okay sub standard and poor) mocs that im going to make.Thats what I love about it. So looking at that and thinking wow I could sort it, build it and then sort it again actually is the bit that gets me most excited. Im not a reseller either nor do I care much about the boxes so what its reselling doesnt bother me. Seems to be who he is aiming at.

So for me, if I had the money, it would be perfect. Yeah he is making a profit on it but I dont have a problem with that. As I get about three years crazy enjoyment out of it. Crazy i know but im odd like that. And while it could not be real thats a chance we take on any lego isn't it?
  • The_Sly_FoxThe_Sly_Fox Member Posts: 42

cavegod said:

Yes, as a BUYER. It it looks like they were building up the collection to sell it as a complete lot. Weird!

The seller has at least two of everything ... it is basically spares