Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Box Cover Art Being Used For Some Sets In The Database

zaxter2001zaxter2001 Member Posts: 35
edited June 2011 in The Database
As I was looking through my owned sets, I noticed that there seems to be a few of large sets that are using the front box art as the main image in the database rather than the standard picture of the set on a white background. Most notably the Pet Shop, Diagon Alley, Maersk Train, Hogwarts Castle, and Re-released Maersk Ship (just a quick search of the first page of the 2010/2011 sets). I guess I'm just bringing this up as I tend to be an organized person and these kind of stick out like a sore thumb when going down my set lists. I figured someone here might know why the box art is being used when there are the "normal" photos readily available on LEGO [email protected]

Comments

• indy1973indy1973 Member Posts: 70
    I think HUW manages this site in his spare time for no pay, so we should all be amazed that it is so consistent.
  • zaxter2001zaxter2001 Member Posts: 35
    I understand and greatly appreciate all the work that Huw puts into this site and that's why I keep coming back to it so much. I am in no way saying he is doing a bad job. I was just wondering if it was the first photos available of the set, or something else. And I'm not demanding something be done about it either, just curious is all. :-)
  • MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    It may well be that these sets were added to the database before the product images were readily available. Perhaps box art was the only option at the time.
  • indy1973indy1973 Member Posts: 70
    edited June 2011
    Of course... and yes, the box art usually leaks from the Merchant's Catalog or somewhere else a few weeks before the final photos of the sets hit the official site.

I'm sure he updates them periodically in batches once the waves of sets are released...

• bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    edited June 2011
    ^ We don't use leaked images from the retailer catalogues.

Most of the images of newer sets come straight from LEGOs own servers (the 'image cache' that will sometimes be mentioned - this is done with LEGO's permission), or from scans/photos of an original box/bag where the sets aren't available from LEGO Shop Online. For the D2C (Direct to Consumer) sets (e.g. Maersk train, Diagon Alley, Pet Shop, etal) we usually get sent a 'press pack' with images a day or two before the official announcement; these come with an embargo date & time, before which LEGO don't want us to mention the details, which we honour.

^^^^^ The 'standard' Brickset set image has traditionally been the scan of the front of the instruction booklet; for many sets we use the box image where we don't have a good quality image of the instructions (especially difficult for older sets). More recently, since LEGO have started using larger & higher quality images on their website, we've used the 'white background' built-set images (obviously these don't exist for older sets). Where we're using box images for newer sets it will be because they were the first ones available from LEGO. When Huw & I were invited to visit the Vault in 2009, to fill in many of the gaps in The Database, we took photos of the (sealed) boxes ... e.g.
    http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=497-1
    (the previous set image for this was a fairly tatty instruction book scan).

• zaxter2001zaxter2001 Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for the answer @bluemoose :)
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,277
    If it's uniformity you like... you won't like LEGO prior to 1965.... no separate instructions... most of the time they're on the box.... and in many cases LEGO sets came in different box types or different languages on the box... or worse... the model changes over the years!

Here's an example of a 1955-70 Garage set... it came in 8 different box types, and underwent 4 different model changes... here's just one (1960-65)...
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,914
    ^ Is that mentioned on your CD, for sale in your BrickLink shop, Gary? :-)
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,277
    Yes indeed... ;-)... in Chapter 7 Early LEGO Model Sets (1955-70). And I have a separate chapter... Chapter 48 that goes thru the evolutionary history of LEGO instructions from 1950-80.
  • tdhbrtdhbr Member Posts: 188
    I recently discovered Brickset, and absolutely love it. As I compiled my collection, I noticed several old sets that I own that do not have a photo in the database. I have the instructions, and would be happy to provide images. Can someone tell me how I could submit those? The sets I'm referring to are 195, 450, 460, 485, 556, 560, and 570.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,914
    You can send them to me at [email protected]

Thanks