Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Ridiculous eBay Auctions

Comments

• luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 871
    ^^ that sure is an unfortunate coincidence!
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    edited August 2012
    CCC said:

Someone recently sold the 30201 Ghost and new Coffin Car for $65...

Only because someone (well, two people) bid that much.
    I am aware of that, it still seems ridiculous to be paying that much... Heck, 4 different people bid over $35
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,909
    ^ Kinda looks like one of those "fell off the truck" auctions. But I do want the IF, Holiday Train, and Santa Fe Train.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    :) Some of those items are a bit old to have "fallen off the truck", as you put it, but I hear it.

It more looks to me like someone who wants out of the business, but wants to be paid what the sets are worth.

If someone REALLY wants to move all this, they need to put current bricklink prices and a total on the listing, then show how much of a discount off that total is being provided. The only reason to take this collection is to resell it, so show me how much that discount is without making me work for it.

The fact that it hasn't sold, tells me someone has done that math and it isn't pretty. :) It SEEMS valuable, but for $8K plus shipping, not so much...
  • PlayftlPlayftl Member Posts: 178
    Looks like it sold.
  • kwazkwaz Member Posts: 3
    Not exactly a wallet killer but seeing as you can still find it at LEGO.com with a touch of searchFu. :shrug: Now if the CD was full it might be worth it... maybe.

auction
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,909
    ^ WOW.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,372
    Geez, cmon.
    ^ I have bought hundreds of each of those for $4 each delivered, that auction is for $5.33 each delivered, more than I'd care to spend.

Those two spinners are not in as much demand, that listing is over priced in my personal opinion.

Would I buy another 750 of them for $4 each? Maybe... maybe not, but not a chance in heck at $5.33.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,226
    ^ I don't get it either... were they rare availability? I mean, it looks like they're retired, but...
  • TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    ^No - two of those sets (pig farm and tractor) are in a "superpack" which is on BIN for £70, so unless 7566 is worth £229 to someone...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,582
    The bidders are not new either. Very strange.
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    Some bidders just like to bid very overpriced and not pay when they win the auction. :(
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^^ But this is the only item that either have bid on over the last month.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    Is it against ebay's rules to quote a shipping price then state in the description that shipping to a particular area is an additional dollar?
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    ^Is it calculated shipping or flat rate? Either way, eBay rarely does anything about flaky shipping practices these days now that they get their cut of shipping, too.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,947
    I bought some polybags on eBay last week. About 5 minutes later, I got an email from the seller saying that there had been a mistake, and the postage was meant to be £14, not £4. She said if I still wanted the items, she could send me an invoice for £7 and then post them to me. The cheek!

There was no way it was going to cost that much to post, so I politely said that I'd be happy for it to be posted via RM's standard parcel service instead of first class.

So the parcel was eventually posted without me paying any extra, but when I opened it, there were two polybags missing! I wonder if this was a genuine mistake or whether the seller was trying to recoup postage costs by withholding a couple of the polybags :)
    ^ Yikes! Did you ever get a refund or the polys back?
    I'm waiting to hear back. It's only two quids' worth of polybags, so I'm not in a mega rush :)
    Everytime I hear the word "quid" I think of "22 Acacia Avenue" by Iron Maiden
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,787
    Pitfall: A fan of Maiden then? Janick Gers is a family friend, haven't had much in the way of free T-shirts in a long time though, he must be getting tight in his old age.
    All the money is being sunk into the 747 :)
    And yes...Huge Maiden fan. Mostly older material.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,787
    edited August 2012
    Pitfall: Used to mess about on the drumkit from his band "White Spirit" as a kid, it was stored in his Dad's garage - wouldn't let me near his guitars. I'd better get back on topic!
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    y2josh said:

^Is it calculated shipping or flat rate? Either way, eBay rarely does anything about flaky shipping practices these days now that they get their cut of shipping, too.

Turns out I didn't win the item so not a big deal. But it was a flat fee, and the extra charge was stated clearly in his description.

What is really ridiculous is not so much the prices of some of these items but the items themselves and the descriptions. That and poor photography and spelling. I do several "face palms" every time I scroll through the listings. Geez.
  • gdelahoussegdelahousse Member Posts: 153
    This one is not ridiculous in price (for now) but it made me laugh, having a SW rebel scout trooper in the market street. http://www.ebay.com/itm/110942957214
    Ah, the Rebel Fleet Trooper. Maybe he was using market street as a lookout tower like on Yavin.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,812
    not ridiculous as obviously sold, but this chap is selling 'rare' spinners for circa £20 a pop. Didn't realise that some of these were scarce? Anybody know anything about these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lego-Ninjago-9574-Green-Ninja-Lloyd-ZX-9450-SPINNER-/221114204193?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item337b6f0021#ht_715wt_1165
    ^ The minifig is very popular I think.
  • JT32JT32 BasingstokeMember Posts: 124
    not so much ridiculous but easily the most expensive Lego ebay lot I've seen:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Very-large-job-lot-of-mostly-sorted-Lego-/170902889056?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item27ca9b2260&_uhb=1#ht_4242wt_937

Weirdly they are based just down the road from me.
    ^ For that much money, there are not NEARLY enough pictures...

If you're serious about selling something at that price, dozens, if not hundreds, of detailed, high quality pictures are required. Anything less looks lazy.

In my opinion... :)
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    Lol, could those pictures be any worse? For what it's worth, when I take a picture of something, and it comes out blurry, I take another one. It takes like 5 more seconds. ;) Something for all eBay sellers to consider! :D
    Yeah despite being very intrigued with what's actually included the advert isn't doing much to make me want to part with £45,000. Like I said before I am just down the road so I'm tempted to see if I can go and have a nose around it. That said I'm not sure I'd want to pay £45k for any amount of Lego unless I could 100% guarantee what's there and I don't think I could with a lot so big. Interesting though.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    In reality is anyone going to actually buy this through eBay? For me it's just to make you aware. If you're interested you will drive there, look at it and try and strike a deal.
    ^ Yeah I agree with that but I still feel they could've done a better job with the advert imo.

Does anybody on here fancy it, I'd love to know what's really included.
  • The_Sly_FoxThe_Sly_Fox Member Posts: 42
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200805970072
    This is a collection to muse over
  • BELTRADBELTRAD Scotland, United KingdomMember Posts: 89
    JT32 said:

not so much ridiculous but easily the most expensive Lego ebay lot I've seen:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Very-large-job-lot-of-mostly-sorted-Lego-/170902889056?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item27ca9b2260&_uhb=1#ht_4242wt_937

Weirdly they are based just down the road from me.

Is it just me or is the 10179 not like the jewel in any Lego collection (or have I become brainwashed on here lol), and to say you have it and not show it in a ad just seems like crazyness.
    ^ yeah it's not great advertising is it. They also say they have some really rare sets in there but don't mention any of them so how am I supposed to get excited about what they have.

^ For that much money, there are not NEARLY enough pictures...

If you're serious about selling something at that price, dozens, if not hundreds, of detailed, high quality pictures are required. Anything less looks lazy.

In my opinion... :)

I'm going to sell many Lego lots, but make them small enough where people can see what they are getting. I wouldn't sell anything that big and expensive. It may be more work for me, but I should have more luck selling my smaller lots.

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,302
    I would say if you are going to sell lots, be honest as to what is in there.. do not act like complete sets are in the lot if they are not. (I have seen too many sellers put one piece of track into a LEGO lot then put that Train stuff is in the lot). If you color sort the lots then I believe they will generate more interest as the buyers then know they do not have to sort by color. Also if they are clean mention that as well helps (if they are clean of course).

It's surprising how much the Minecraft sets are currently selling for on eBay.co.uk (50-60 quid) when you consider they are still available from shop.lego.com for the RRP. One auction that ended this evening even boldly claimed that they were rare and sold out everywhere!
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,074
    Also not really a "ridiculous"auction,but i wonder what ya'll think:
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/280952648965?redirect=mobile
    The seller said that all the figures are there and the condition of the bricks is good! So 1800€ for 350 sets seems like a good price ain't it?
  • timinchicagotiminchicago USAMember Posts: 239
    ^^Minecraft has been "Temporarily out of stock" for weeks here in the US.
    Not in the UK, though (not for a while at least).