Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Building the Modulars and Sculpture sets by piecemeal

2»

Comments

• doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Just wanted to add in my experience for common parts Pick-A-Brick and Lego directly are more expensive than local Bricklink sellers. For the rarer parts then Lego is far cheaper if they are avaialble. In the end it is a question of balance and alot of work.
  • NicksBricksNicksBricks United StatesMember Posts: 300
    edited May 2011
    ^ It depends on quantity and type of piece. Pick-A-Brick can be cheaper at times.
  • zaxter2001zaxter2001 Member Posts: 35
    Sorry about that mistake
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Anyone had problems with Bricklink sellers? I had one guy who advertises "no fees" slapping a €3 paypal fee onto it; when I complained to the bricklink admin they didnt seem very effective at sorting it out, and I was made to feel that I should pay it anyway. Is it usually like that sorting problems out on bricklink?
  • NicksBricksNicksBricks United StatesMember Posts: 300
    edited May 2011
    Anyone had problems with Bricklink sellers? I had one guy who advertises "no fees" slapping a €3 paypal fee onto it; when I complained to the bricklink admin they didnt seem very effective at sorting it out, and I was made to feel that I should pay it anyway. Is it usually like that sorting problems out on bricklink?
    I have had a few sellers that have sent me "new" pieces that have dirt/dust on them. Obviously they were used. Each seller has sent me replacement parts that were new. I even had a seller send me a "complete" set without the stickers. When I asked him about it, he sourced the parts for me, that had the stickers applied, and shipped them to me for free from Italy. My experience has always been great at Bricklink. You should contact the seller, and if you can't work things out leave negative feedback and never use them again. I always read a sellers feedback before ordering, and I am sure I am not alone.
    Yeah, in my recent batch of purchases, i've had 3 order with missing parts and all i did was contact them and they quickly sent the missing parts no questions asked. I say you should contact the seller too.
  • sas0214sas0214 USAMember Posts: 28
    I was reading the discussion about do you own the set if you piece it together, and it led to another question. When looking at the inventories of brick link and it says to use either type 1 or type 2 of a certain part, how do you know which type is orginal to the set?
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,732
    ^ The answer is presumably "Both", if LEGO themselves have used alternative parts in the same set.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,655
    ^^ I have seen sets where the instructions clearly show a type 1 but yet the set came with type 2 parts and type 1 parts.. usually occurs when they release a new part type.. they do not just trash the others, they use them until they are out of stock.
    Just completed Cafe Corner sourced from new parts purchased on Bricklink and Lego direct. It was a very fun experience. All of the Bricklink sellers were fantastic....made for a very rewarding experience. The only caveat I would have for others thinking of constructing this set is with "dark red" pieces. Sometime in 2008 Lego changed the "dark red" color to "new dark red". New dark red is not as transluscent, not as bright and also has a brownish tinge to it (personally I prefer the new dark red...the old dark red looked very plasticy and cheap to me - almost megablock quality). The original pieces in Cafe Corner were old dark red while the new roof slopes available because of the Pet Shop are the new dark red color. If you do not want color matching issues (next to each other the difference is very noticeable) make sure you either go all old dark red (the more expensive route as those roof slopes are around $3 each) or all new dark red (slopes are around 50 cents each). Looks like Lego also fixed color issues with the reddish brown bricks and dark blue bricks as all mine were perfectly matched. Hope this helps someone out.

I was thinking of piecing together Market Street buy just found out it was part of the Factory line and not Creator and does not use the classic minig plain faces (they have expressions) so it is not actually part of the Modular line. My wallet is happy. I'm on to the Green Grocer which I bought new in the box but I must admit it isn't quite as fun opening Lego bags in a box as it was opening mailers from all over the world.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,093
    @doriansdad may I ask what your total was for the Cafe Corner? And how long it took you to place the orders? That's the set I'm most interested in piecing together, my previous attempts and piecing the other modular lines proved to be much more difficult than I assumed, but I would really like to put forth the effort and actually complete the Cafe Corner. Also it would be helpful if you knew what pieces you ordered from lego direct? Was it through pick a brick or customer service?
    My total was $350 shipped. It would have been $340 but I had to re-order the dark red pieces directly through Lego to get the new dark red colors so it all matched up. I think you can actually do it for a shade under $300 in the USA by placing an order with 1 big seller, getting the 1x8x2 blue arch from one other seller, and all the rest of the parts from Lego direct . The other hard to find piece that Lego did not carry was the female dark reddish brown hair....but again it is easily available on bricklink for a few dollars.

Now when ordering from Lego direct by phone the easiest route is getting the correct color code parts numbers (use bricklink catalog and inventory the set and then scroll down to the very bottom and click "show color codes"). This makes it quick and easy for the phone rep to see if the part is available and place the order. For the dark red pieces you will notice a few different codes as the colors have slightly changed over time. For the new dark red stick to those beginning in 453 and above. I would order all of the dark reds from Lego to ensure the same color unless your bricklink seller is willing to go through and make sure all the dark red is the same....probably not going to happen and is too much to ask I feel!

Lego direct prices are roughly double on every piece you can buy in volume on bricklink (again in volume...not the rarer pieces). Hence stick with 1 big seller (who by virtue of being big only deals in volume and will be cheap) and get the rest from Lego is my advice. Now there is 1 big seller on bricklink who is even more expensive than Lego and does sell in volume (not going to name names) so make sure to at least scan through 2 or 3 to make sure they are competitive. Used I feel you can do it for $250ish but I cannot stand imperfections so I went for new all the way around. If you are willing to mod and not go with some of the more expensive pieces such as the arch I am sure you could go under $200. It only took me 20 mins to place the orders through Bricklink and a few mins on the phone with Lego. Very easy to do. Researching took a few more hours but it is a hobby after all :)
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    edited June 2011
    I was thinking of piecing together Market Street buy just found out it was part of the Factory line and not Creator and does not use the classic minig plain faces (they have expressions) so it is not actually part of the Modular line. My wallet is happy. I'm on to the Green Grocer which I bought new in the box but I must admit it isn't quite as fun opening Lego bags in a box as it was opening mailers from all over the world.
    Yes, Market Street was in the Factory line as is obvious from the big Factory text on the box art: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100501173034/lego/images/c/c9/10190_box.png

However, Market Street appears in the box art for Green Grocer, so it can also be considered part of the Modular Buildings: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/dunamis/10185/10185-2.jpg

Although the series is referred to as Modular Buildings, the boxes do not bear this title nor is the product sold under such a theme on the LEGO website. Now, if you read the description for Fire Brigade, it says "Designed to fit with other modular buildings..." and when you read the description for Grand Emporium is says "The LEGO Modular Buildings series..." Notice that at the time of Fire Brigade modular buildings were a descriptor for a type of set whereas by Grand Emporium it was the title of a series of sets.

So, Market Street is in fact a modular building. The inclusion of it on the Green Grocer box art indicates it is also part of the Modular Buildings lineup. Market Street also happens to be part of the Factory line. This is only a problem if you think inclusion in one series excludes inclusion in another.
    My aim is to collect the Modular Series designed by Lego. Market St appears to be an interim set designed by a Lego fan before TLG decided on this lineup of sets. The minifigs are not the same as those included in the Lego designed sets either. Maybe this is also open to debate but it appears Martket St does not meet the criteria of the other sets in the series. I have not had a chance to look at the instructions for Market Street....does it have the technic connectors down the bottom to add to the other sets...this should either confirm or deny its part of the series (for me anyway).
    ^ Yes it does have the pins. Also it is sized like the other sets. Again, you can see it connected to the other buildings in the box art for the Green Grocer.

I wasn't suggesting you should collect it. It is different from the other sets in that it was designed by a fan and released under the Factory line. However, I don't think that makes it any less of a Modular Building, especially considering the evidence I presented in my comment, such as inclusion of the building in the Green Grocer box art.
    edited June 2011
    I'm with @Brickmatic on this - it's undoubtedly part of the 'Factory' line, but a modular nonetheless - same footprint, same method of connection to adjacent buildings, same ornate and fussy building style......and same resale value !
    Well it looks like I will be getting the parts for Market Street afterall! Have to score 4 of those white tabbed hoses then I am off to the races :) Ill post my results here on my total cost....may take a few weeks this time I will really try and penny pinch this one (thinking I can get it done for less than $250 total).
    ^ Good luck ! Might be worth calling LEGO customer service for the hoses - nothing to lose.
  • SparkyHamSparkyHam Bristol, UKMember Posts: 141
    wow - - - I am so inspired/impressed that you guys have managed to successfully build the Modulars by sourcing parts from BrickLink! I used BrickLink for the 1st time last week, and ordered enough parts to make a custom mini Wall-E, which I thought was quite an endeavor, but apparently not!

Regarding Cafe-Corner and Market Street, I recently bought them in Hong Kong for £375 (USD 610), and £160 (USD 260) respectively, the latter being a window display which I cheekily asked if they'd sell.
  • EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    Anyone pieced together the Eiffel Tower? How much did it cost?
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    I just parted the Eiffel Tower out on bricklink and used the 6 month average price sold for parts and the total without instructions was ~$345.
    I am very close to ordering the parts for Market Street.....the only difficult part I cannot find new are the 4 new white tabbed hoses. They are discontinued from Lego and only 1 is available on Bricklink for $15. So far very close to the $250 budget with all new pieces. I think I will wait to get the hoses first and then go from there as all of the other pieces are very common.
    i actually kind of found a way to get the hoses by not buying them individually. Sometimes you can buy the set #6854. This little set has the needed white hose. But be careful as I made sure to check the pictures posted on the eBay listings to make sure they had the tabbed versions. As some used sets have had the tabless versions substituted in. But no i have to figure out what to do with the unused sets....
    @Rocao, how did you get that page that shows the average?
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    ^ I used the part out option of uploading a store inventory since it will calculate part values. You may need to go through the nominal process of opening a bricklink store in order to be able to part out the set. Parting out is at this link:
    http://www.bricklink.com/invSet.asp?itemType=S&itemNo=10181-1

There's a drop down box for the method you want to use to calculate part prices.
    I'd recommend "6 month sale average" to establish a ballpark. There's also "current for sale average" but my thinking is you're going to be buying on the cheaper end of the spectrum which is more likely the 6 month sale average (prices at which things actually sold for). You could try both methods, of course.

From there, you need to click "Submit for edit", and then do another verification and at the bottom it will show the total. I wouldn't recommend going through the complete process because it will upload the items into your store inventory.

edited June 2011
    @Eric

On the set page or part page:
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=10181-1

Click on "View Price Guide":
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=10181-1

EDIT Never mind. The actual method works better.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    @zaxter2001 - yep I did the same. Also got the dark blue arches by finding Bionicle sets 8893 and 8757 for cheap.
    ^^ & ^^^ - Ah, Thanks guys.
    edited July 2011
    I've finally calculated how much it cost me to build CC & MS piecemeal off bricklink. Without manuals, but will all minifigs and everything it came to about £400 for both inc postage.

(Not including the other £600 of miscellanous bricks I got "while I was there!" - can see why they call it cracklink.)
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,764
    ^ Si, would you be able to guestimate what % of the £400 is for each? Looking to make up MS which I would assume is the cheaper of the 2 as it has considerably less pieces, but know that logic doesn't always work out...
    edited July 2011
    Market street £144.26 & P+P = £169.12
    Cafe corner £175.05 & P+P = £205.21
    plus I added about £20 for cheap sets I bought to plunder, the rest is the approx value of the remaining 1/5 of the total bricks which I got from my existing collection, but all of which were common ones, hence the total of about £400, maybe more like £430 in all.