Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How does everyone store their collection?

Comments

• paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,967

my lego room in a panorama bricks are organized by type and color and a couple big loose container

Is that your YouTube account in the QR code?
  • CountryboyCountryboy Member Posts: 36
    So, i finally found some time to get better organized. I ended up going with pull out storage trays with allot of shelving!! I also use divider cases for the smaller pieces as well:

I am now starting the daunting task of "Properly" categorizing and sorting all the loose lego i have acquired over the past year or so... That should keep me busy through winter :)

Bluefox1966MorkMan
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 789
    edited August 2012
    ^I want a Lego den like that SOO BAD!
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,258
    ^^ It must say something about my current "Lego status" and my storage needs in that looking at all those drawers makes me sigh wistfully, like a schoolgirl over pop stars. It's just so dreamy...
  • LordHarrierLordHarrier Member Posts: 21
    @Countryboy: That is pure win what you did. I love it.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,304
    ^ I second (fourth, actually) the above!
    edited August 2012
    Thanks everyone :) As you notice, i have been re-delegated to the basement (As must of us AFOL's have!!!). Which is fine by me as i have next to no dust. There was a 50% sale on those white storage bins a few weeks ago and i decided then to grab as many as i could. The problem i found though (When i first started using the larger versions below) is that has soon as you start to stack them, the drawers do not work as well, plus they start to get a bit tippy. And i have had one of these fall over and it's a real mess... So, i went as cheaply as i could with MDF and wall L brackets. Turned out very well. The cedar board shelving was all leftover from a deck project so i didn't have to make any additional purchases for those.

My intent is to use the large drawers for solid color bricks. For the smaller white drawers, i am slowly working through the parts categories on BL and determining whether or not 1 or 2 or more drawers are needed for each category. It's going to take a while (But in a weird way, i truly enjoy the sorting aspect of it all.). The added shelf along the top to display completed sets was a bonus :)

The black LACK tables along the bottom were originally bought to hold 4X8 sheets of 3/4" MDF (5 per sheet) that my son and i use for layout builds.. I tore 2 down for the summer (Left him 1 to play on), however will probably have to get those set up again once the late fall / winter rolls upon us.
  • berniebondberniebond AustriaMember Posts: 137
    I was looking for a cheap way to sort the small parts like tiles, small plates, round 1x1s etc. and got the idea of reusing the plastic packaging of lego adventcalendars. It is way cheaper than buying sthg at the hardware store.

I then went out to find a drawer system for these plastic things, since stacking them on oneanother isnt doing them any good. I got lucky in the bathroom accessory department of a local furniture store: 10 drawers, rolling stand (i had to cut 1 row off the adventcalender to fit though)

I ll try to send a picture soon.

What i may do in the future is to try and cut all adventcalendarplastics to single compartments so that I can simplify the search process as for now, spilling the whole box on the floor for searching is not an option.
  • LordHarrierLordHarrier Member Posts: 21
    I've been delegated to the basement as well.. sadly I get lots of dust so I have a steady supply of swiffers. I've still got more shelves to put up. More pics here.

Lego city display 8/12

Lego Workspace 8/12
    Bluefox1966
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    For dust prevention, is anyone using fans with filters like 'ionic breeze'? How well does that work for our purposes?
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    ^I have one but my basement (where I store my displayed Lego) is a dust haven and it doesn't really seem to help much. Then again my home is pretty old (built in the 50s) so I'm sure the air flow isn't very efficient. I end up having to purchase acrylic display cases which unfortunately can be quite the expense :(
    ^Thanks for the input @Renny. You basically confirmed what I thought would happen in a large Lego room. The little fans would be quickly overwhelmed with such a big space. Dusting is not practical, so enclosed display cases is probably best route for consistent display.
    If you do decide to purchase display cases I recently purchased a custom made one for the 10179 from http://www.casesforcollectibles.com/ and I was really happy with the end product. They have a nice feature which allows you to plug in any dimension and get an exact price quote.
    ^Ah, this might be what I'm looking for, but wary about the possible high prices. How much did it cost on that case for 10179? Is it strong enough to hold another set placed on top of it?
    @LordHarrier... Nice Shop!! Use the space that's been provided i say! I like the layout table nice and high like that... Nice on the back :)
    @brickdancer, the display case for the 10179 I had cost about $250. Due to it's size (36 inches x 28 inches x 12 inches) it had to be shipped via UPS Freight which cost an additional $140. The case is thick enough that it looks like it can sustain other models to be placed on it without any buckling.
    Forgot to mention I had to order that over the phone since it was a custom sized order.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    Hello fellow MISB/Box-collectors,i don't know if that idea already came up before but i'm wondering if anybody uses those small silica-gel bags to keep the valuable Lego-boxes as dry as possible? Especially when storing them in the basement which are usually not the driest places!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,201
    If you store the boxes in sealed stackable plastic boxes (euro-boxes and the like), then the cardboard should be fine. You could always put silica gel inside the plastic boxes too, if paranoid about dampness.
  • ZacheranoZacherano Member Posts: 59
    Wow! Some of these pictures of storage setups (especially from yellowcastle) are really great looking. I appreciate everyone sharing how they keep their Lego collections in such phenomenal condition.

I am afraid I cannot say the same for my storage setup. As a TFOL who will be leaving for college within the year, I don't have much space for original boxes, so I only have about 20 at the most. The majority of my Lego is stored in individual bags per set. I have very little MISB, but what I do is all together in a corner, topped off by boxes of CMFs, instruction booklets, and bags filled with extra parts.

For the most part, all of my Lego is sorted by original set, so my MOCs tend to be smaller and not as expansive in terms of part selection. Since I don't have an optimal storage space for loose pieces in containers of some sort, I just keep everything in Ziploc bags within larger plastic storage boxes. Obviously I will have to remedy this at some point.

I also have around 70 to 80 sets on display at any one time, primarily in two rooms of my house. Dust is, of course, a perennial issue. I have experimented with washcloths, sponges, aerial sprays, and even small vacuums, but every single dust solution is temporary. The time commitment required to thoroughly dust off just one larger Lego set is pretty large considering how many I have (and I know there are plenty of people out there with much large collections on display than mine). Does anyone have suggestions for dusting Lego without taking apart the entire set?

src="https://us.v-cdn.net/5015319/uploads/FileUpload/66/b4e9ac40782daea26699a620183206.jpg" />image
  • iancam33iancam33 Member Posts: 407
    My storage method consists of rubbermaid 54 gallon tubs (12 filled) stuffed in the living room closet.
  • itsnotmeitsnotme Member Posts: 122
    This is probably a silly question, but is there any reason NOT to store MISB sets in giant XXL Ziploc bags? I tend to be overly cautious, but mine are stored in the basement and I feel like the insurance is worth the extra $2 or so per set. I just imagine broken pipes, basement smell infiltration, etc. But I want to make sure there's not some obscure reason not to do this, like condensation problems, a need for boxes to breathe, or anything else I'm not considering.
  • AmberylAmberyl Member Posts: 193
    I am trying to find shelving that will also double as something where the sets look good on display and won't get hugely dusty. I'm inclined to glass or acrylic-fronted display cases.

Has anyone tried using commercial retail shelving like this (the Canadian and Vision lines are an example of what I'm thinking of) -- http://fixturesplus.com/showcases.htm -- or have a suggested alternative to that kind of thing? Adjustable height, relatively wide shelves? And not terribly expensive? (Doesn't have to be IKEA-cheap, but I'm not thinking designer furniture prices.)

Also, where are people displaying their 10188 Death Stars? It's too big to fit on any shelf in my house, at least.
  • DawnTreaderDawnTreader Chilliwack CanadaMember Posts: 10
    I am in awe... the amount of LEGO that I see in some of these pictures is ridiculous. But very cool. :)

I know that there are a lot of reasons everyone has for using the drawers/bins/containers they have, but as far as I see no one has mentioned Ikea stuff and in particular the Trofast storage bins.

I am particularly fond of the new half size bins, it doesnt mean more space but it does mean better sorting. :)

Ikea used to have some small wooden drawers. These are great for bricks.

The small drawers are from Canadian Tire and a storing a lot of specialized little parts.

The tall Trofast in the corner gave me a bit of inspiration, I intend to design a trofast that will be the same in hieght but the width and depth will be reversed. This will allow me to get 2 in the corner in place of the 1 there is now. Wish Ikea made them that way as well, it would save me from having to do it.

As for putting things in the drawers, I have used a lot of the ideas from http://www.evilmadscientist.com/2008/how-to-organize-your-lego-bricks-for-efficient-building/ with modifications.

Seeing as my son and I only have around 20,000 pieces we don't have a large LEGO area but it is well used one. :)
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    @amberyl You can that stuff for pennies on the dollar on EBay, Craigslist and commercial auctions.
  • AmberylAmberyl Member Posts: 193
    Awesome, @gmpirate -- I had no idea.
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    I just wanted to state, that people with basements are sooooo lucky! :oP
  • MarkVMarkV Member Posts: 42
    edited October 2012
    Folks with dust issues - it might be worth looking at shop equipment like a Jet or Rikon air filter. You can build them for cheaper as well (a fan, some filters, and a little ingenuity). I think I'd want them on a timer to run an hour a day.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    ^^ I often think the same thing.
  • Bluefox1966Bluefox1966 UKMember Posts: 360
    @DawnTreader I wouldn't advise storing your items as shown by evil mad scientist. The clutch of the Lego will be affected over time.
  • MilesMiles Member Posts: 51
    Does anyone have any advice on how to store LEGO in order to reduce scratching? I've used plastic bead organizers before, but always find myself 'scraping the LEGO' up the side of the container to get it out. I figure dragging it against another type of plastic probably isn't that great for it.

Ziplock bags maybe? They're certainly softer and flexible - they'd make selecting parts easier, but storing them in an orderly fashion sounds like a pain.

Are there any other MOCers who have tackled this problem?
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    Miles said:

Does anyone have any advice on how to store LEGO in order to reduce scratching? I've used plastic bead organizers before, but always find myself 'scraping the LEGO' up the side of the container to get it out. I figure dragging it against another type of plastic probably isn't that great for it.

Ziplock bags maybe? They're certainly softer and flexible - they'd make selecting parts easier, but storing them in an orderly fashion sounds like a pain.

Are there any other MOCers who have tackled this problem?

How about stack-on containers like at the hardware store? They are mega popular amoung lego organizers.
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 519
    More changes to our ever evolving Lego room. No more floating display shelves (made me sad to take them down) but in their place, an angled bookcase with spotlights!

Lego Room 11/4/12

And in the dark!!

Lego Room Spotlights
    The_Brick_BuilderLegobrandonCPPenkid11BrickDancerBrickbaseGothamConstructionCoZeya
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    ^ It's absolutely beautiful.
  • glendoglendo Member Posts: 22
    that is what i would consider Perfection
    The HH looks so good next to the modulars, even if it breaks the interconnected trend. You method of storage has evolved quite well.
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 223
    @littletoki so your the guy who bought up all the Billy bookshelves in Black from IKEA :-p
    ^ *gal ;-)
    Penkid11
  • Firox5000Firox5000 Member Posts: 61
    My storage way is to display as many sets as possible on shelving units. Any that don't fit will be stored in boxes. I too keep boxes incase I have to remove any for more room but sometimes place boxes behind displays to add a backdrop.
    Thanks everyone! I think we're maxed out on space in that room now. But it's truly a labor of love.

I love seeing everone's setup - been getting a lot of great ideas like those puck lights!
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,258
    At this point I am actually VERY proud of my umpteen baggies in plastic drawers... Just not proud enough to post pictures. Took forever and a day to get to a level of organization where if I can't find "that piece" in half an hour I can be pretty sure it doesn't exist.
  • iancam33iancam33 Member Posts: 407
    Unless I missed it I did not see anyone mention a company called Plano. They make some great storage continers. They mainly are tackle boxes but end up being perfect for LEGO. They have adjustable compartments and units of all different sizes.
  • allmybricksallmybricks Member Posts: 156
    For anyone using the Plano type containers - has anyone found a good glue / epoxy for the inserts? I hate how they lift up and parts slip between the sections...
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,082

More changes to our ever evolving Lego room. No more floating display shelves (made me sad to take them down) but in their place, an angled bookcase with spotlights!

I like the presentation, i.e., shelving, but do you have more pics that showcases the entire room. Impressive that it is.....seems to me there is more to show.

@1265
    You just want to see her framed Star Wars minifigure collection, right?
    Penkid11 said:

@1265
    You just want to see her framed Star Wars minifigure collection, right?

You obviously know more than I.....but, i'd like to see more of her collection. As stated, I impressed with the high-end shelving, but I'd like to see more of the collection.
    edited November 2012
    ^ I feel like a stalker posting this, but check out her blog for more photos of her beautiful home and displays.
    ^Lmao!!!

^ I feel like a stalker posting this, but check out her blog for more photos of her beautiful home and displays.

Cats....Nooooooo.........(Disclaimer...my personally opinion so don't hate).

^ I feel like a stalker posting this,

I wouldn't say a stalker, @LegobrandonCP ... more like a creeper! Just kidding. :D

@1265 the Lego on the black bookcases is just our loose Lego. We keep the sets in the closet on wire shelving.

Lego Room Updated

We've completely filled the wire shelving since the above photo was taken. Most of the bins are double/tripled up with sets in bags like this:

Sterilite 6 Quart Container

And there is another closet that houses the sets "to be built".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7290105888/in/set-72157627896516621

And the minifig wall. I'm currently building case #9.

Lego Minifigure Display Wall: Updated
    Penkid11Renny