Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

May the 4th Promotion 2013

Comments

• cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    rocao said:

I can understand disappointment or frustration but not to the point of being upset or thinking it was someone else fault. If someone makes it to the store before me, plain and simply, they beat me to it and it's fair that they are served first. After all, isn't that the reason someone is trying to arrive early? They know there is demand, they know supply might be an issue, and they're effectively trying to beat out other people.

I agree with first come first served, but I don't think that was the issue. What if they sold the first person in line all of the items? Whether it be LEGOS, tickets, food, medicine. Sure, that is the seller's choice, but is it fair? (Good thing LEGO doesn't run the Red Cross.) I think if the items aren't distributed in a fair way a person is justified in being upset, regardless of their number in line.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    edited May 2013
    mathew said:

y2josh said:

^The Shadow ARF Trooper has appreciated nicely (about $35 these days), and Han should follow the same trajectory, probably with a higher ceiling (being that he's a character people have heard of).

TC-14 was kind of a junk figure with low demand, which is why he's still lingering around en masse a year after he came out.

I think you're about the only one who thinks the Han figure is good. I put mine on ebay and had nothing but low ball offers. I finally sold it for $20 with free shipping, but the guy still hasn't paid. I'm not complaing because it was free, but it's hardly a good figure. I would of been happier with the TC-14.

I did mention that he's going for $20 with free shipping right now, mostly because the market is flooded with him. TC-14 is going for $20 with free shipping right now because he's a niche figure that demand has dropped off for. Also... it's 'would have.' Been driving me nuts for months.
    samiam391 said:

mathew said:

y2josh said:

^The Shadow ARF Trooper has appreciated nicely (about $35 these days), and Han should follow the same trajectory, probably with a higher ceiling (being that he's a character people have heard of).

TC-14 was kind of a junk figure with low demand, which is why he's still lingering around en masse a year after he came out.

I think you're about the only one who thinks the Han figure is good. I put mine on ebay and had nothing but low ball offers. I finally sold it for $20 with free shipping, but the guy still hasn't paid. I'm not complaing because it was free, but it's hardly a good figure. I would of been happier with the TC-14.

Quaking in your boots yet @y2josh? ;o)

Not remotely. Quality almost always beats cheap gimmicks. But hey... if I'm wrong, you get the wildly inaccurate Hoth Han Solo minifig that I was finally able to remove from my collection... :D
  • HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439
    y2josh said:

Also... it's 'would have.' Been driving me nuts for months.

You are not alone. I could equate the feeling of reading it to the sound of fingernails scraping a chalkboard. I'm not even a native speaker and I'm usually not that bothered with slang (or whatever you call this) and grammar mistakes, but for some unknown reason this really irritates me.
    Dougout
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,397
    edited May 2013
    Hardrada said:

y2josh said:

You are not alone. I could equate the feeling of reading it to the sound of fingernails scraping a chalkboard. I'm not even a native speaker and I'm usually not that bothered with slang (or whatever you call this) and grammar mistakes, but for some unknown reason this really irritates me.
    In his defense, he does spell his name "mathew".
    Maybe he just prefers to leave letters out and word things differently ;o)
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,735
    Hardrada said:

You are not alone.

That makes three have us.

CapnRex101Pitfall69
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    samiam391 said:

Hardrada said:

y2josh said:

In his defense, he does spell his name "mathew".
    Maybe he just prefers to leave letters out and word things differently ;o)
    I'm confused. y2josh said it, did he not?
  • jeremy1973jeremy1973 Member Posts: 50
    111ins said:

I just got off the phone with LEGO. My 4 separate orders were cancelled as I was having them shipped to a US address (that they have shipped to before, and I have had LOTS of amazon orders go to) and they have apparently no longer allow this. I was able to get them to ship one to my Canadian address and might be able to get a second if they become available again. The customer service rep also said that if they are going thru the orders and cancelling anything over TWO per account. Maybe bs so that I would be happy with at least one, has nyone else had orders over two per account cancelled?

That's what you get for place in four different orders with two different account. And God only knows how many different addresses you have.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,258
    ^You might be jumping the gun a bit. I believe it is a fairly common practice for Canucks close to the border (are there any that aren't?) to utilize a US address if available to cut down on shipping costs. A native would surely be able to give more details, but your post just seems like eager and misdirected schadenfreude.
  • jeremy1973jeremy1973 Member Posts: 50
    I guess I'm just sting up for the people that didn't even get one b-wing.
  • 111ins111ins Member Posts: 265
    ^^ I am playing by the rules. Four orders of one B-wing each so I could get four of the promo figures, I believe that was ok? Yes, I do have items shipped to a US address and then drive 2 hrs each way to get LEGO, among other things. Funny thing is that I have made about 5 trips in the last 8 months and only had one order thru LEGO directly as Amazon is way better for pricing and shipping the majority of the time. The one LEGO order was just after Christmas and they did ship it to the same address as the one that was cancelled.
    Yes, I may change my address, just so that I can get a chance at the same deals that you get all the time.
    I do pay an extra 13% tax, on top of state taxes (5% in MI) when I bring the stuff back over the border, so i am not cheating anyone there either.
    If I were to buy the same sets on Bricklink or many other sites (that I still use quite often), the shipping for one big set to get to me is about the same as what I pay in gas to drive there and get them myself.

• 111ins111ins Member Posts: 265
    PS, thanks for the defense Brickarmor
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,676
    All my non B-wing orders shipped, @Zon for my B-Wing order, the poster+han have shipped while it is still in back ordered. (which is better, as the box get dings and/or the minifig get damaged shipping with a large box)
  • gofigure19gofigure19 Member Posts: 20
    My B-wing orders now show as shipped.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    ^ Mine is now 'in process'
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950

I guess I'm just sting up for the people that didn't even get one b-wing.

Not quite sure of your point. It was a race and some won and some lost. If you are going to be mad at someone not even getting one when they tried, be mad at TLG for setting the limit at 5. Don't be mad at the people who played by the rules.

Pitfall69
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    ^It sure was a race. I got flustered when my card didn't go through the first time.
  • KanohiKanohi Member Posts: 41
    Ordered only one B-Wing for personal use (still not convinced that this isn't a trap). It shipped out a little while ago. Interestingly, I did receive 2 emails (1 last night, 1 this morning) stating that my order was backordered:
    Thank you for ordering from shop.LEGO.com. Unfortunately, the item(s) listed below are currently out of stock and it will be a little longer before we can ship them to you.
    I placed the order at 12:04 EST.

--Gary

edited May 2013
    ^ Oh dude. What a bummer! My B-Wing order was placed at 12:03 am EDT (is that what you put for Eastern Daylight Time?), and it shipped today. What a difference a minute makes! :-)

Seriously, not sure why an order placed at 12:04 am would be backordered. My last name begins with 'B'. Maybe your's begins with 'W', 'X', 'Y', or 'Z'? Sort of joking, but maybe not. LEGOS order processing system is errr.... hummmm... 'different'. Yeah, 'different'. That's it.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    @cloaked7, I think @Kanohi mentioned his B-Wing was shipped.
    D0h! That's what I get for reading too fast. I stand corrected! :-)

Also, @Kanohi if it's a trap don't worry. You can have super sleuth @Legoboy investigate. He'll get to the bottom of it.
  • starwarfan77starwarfan77 Member Posts: 341
    edited May 2013
    dunno what trap everyone is talking about but lego.com has
    b-wing back now :)as Out of stock, expected ship date 24 May 2013

it seems like they might have found couple of lost/hidden containers full of B-wing. this is basically inline with what they had on saturday no? and you can order 5 and @ 199.99 :D
    ^ It's quite funny I think. So much for having them all gone in two days! Hey I can relate. LEGO is a lot like me. They have LEGOS stuck all over the place and don't really know what all they've got.
    TheLoneTensorMathBuilderFollowsClosely
    @cloaked7

It did in fact ship. The odd part I commented on was LEGO sending two emails telling me that I should expect delays - then shipping it out exactly when I would normally expect them it to. Just made me scratch my head a bit. But whatever! My B-wing is expected to arrive on Friday :)

@starwarfan77

The trap being LEGO using this sale as a way of identifying resellers. Who really needs 5 B-Wings? Perhaps I'm being paranoid but some odd things have been going on the past few months, to say the least...

I have been spending a significant amount at [email protected] and LBR for approximately a decade now and I am sure that I can be "identified as a reseller" if LEGO bothered to look into it. I have never circumvented any limits or broken any rules intentionally but it seems that that might not be good enough any longer. Maybe TLG is going another step and setting people up with a tempting sale like this. I don't know.

Like others have stated, there are plenty of other outlets to acquire sets from but I'd rather not lose the option of [email protected] - especially for my own personal collection.

--Gary

• weaselkingweaselking Member Posts: 61

One solution lego could implement is to only offer big sale items to vip members then track and limit sales made on each account. They could then do some post processing of the vip accounts and send out notices to suspected resellers before banning them from future sales. Many grocery stores require people to join their rewards programs to get the sale price so this would be nothing new. Lego also already did something similar when they required people to join the vip program to get the pc early. Something like a vip sighnup kiosk would probably need to be implemented to prevent the registers from getting swarmed with new signups.

This is precisely what the "group of 5" from my previous post did. While I wasn't watching every move, at least 2 of the party signed up for the VIP program on the spot. I guess it's moot since membership is not required for the prices, but I like the idea of giving "special" prices only for members.
  • jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    The poster and fig from order #3 of #5 shipped. Funny how the first one that I ordered 4 hours before that one is "in Process".
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    Yup, just got an email saying my second order shipped, but double checked and its only the minifig and poster. Strangely my third, non B-wing order has yet to ship.
  • ISDAvengerISDAvenger Member Posts: 205
    My single B-Wing order has shipped!
  • MathBuilderMathBuilder Member Posts: 150
    neiname said:

@neiname That is great customer service, what store was it?

Burlington MA
    The Burlington Mall store is awesome. I have visited several LEGO stores, always with positive results, but Burlignton is the best.
  • LegobutterflyLegobutterfly Member Posts: 488
    My husbands rancor pit arrived this morning with hoth han and an extremely scrumpled and bashed poster, guess you can't have it all.
  • ISDAvengerISDAvenger Member Posts: 205
    Last May the 4th my R2D2 poster arrived in poor condition, so I called TLG and they sent me a new one for free. I recommend you do the same, if you so wish.

My husbands rancor pit arrived this morning with hoth han and an extremely scrumpled and bashed poster, guess you can't have it all.

• cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^ I had the same, so asked for a new R2D2 poster. They sent a new poster and a new TC14.
  • LegobutterflyLegobutterfly Member Posts: 488
    edited May 2013

Last May the 4th my R2D2 poster arrived in poor condition, so I called TLG and they sent me a new one for free. I recommend you do the same, if you so wish.

Thanks for the tip, I shall get onto that now :)

JessyDooDah
  • odshowtimeodshowtime Member Posts: 49
    I didn't know about this insanity until Sunday morning as I was on vacation all week. I had a B-wing order all ready to go around 11AM (back ordered; who cares) and then my browser crashed. Then I couldn't put it in the cart any more. Then I had it again and went to get my VIP card since I never linked it to my account. By the time I did that it was un-addable again. Then I waited until about 1 or 2PM EST Sunday and I was able to add it to the cart again and complete an order.

So let's see if Johnny-come-lately can get a $99 B-wing for minimal effort. It's really not fair after reading all of these accounts.

Man that set meant nothing to me at $200 but it is so desirable at $100. I hope they send it. Currently the freebies say In Process and B-Wing says back ordered. The website now lists the B-wing as sold out. I think this thing could appreciate pretty well in a few years since it's apparent that no one bought it and it appears to have a VERY limited shelf-life. It was still on sale last night for $199 so that makes me comfortable that I'll get one. Now it's SOLD OUT and I hope it stays that way forever. This is a very short lifespan.

Man I can't wait for the Rancor Pit to hit deep discount. It's only a matter of time...
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,117
    I wonder if the B-Wing is gone forever from the US [email protected] now at "sold out" or whether they will replenish? What will happen to the European stock now if it is gone? Could go one of 3 ways:-

1. Everyone in Europe who wants one at full price buys it for fear of missing out on the set (unlikely).

2. Everyone in Europe is so radged at [email protected] for not offering a deal that it languishes in stock for a while until [email protected] drops the price unexpectedly and they all go under clearance.

3. Everyone in Europe is so radged at [email protected] for not offering a deal that it languishes in stock until Brick Friday when it is properly reduced.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    4. LEGO ship all the excess European stock to the US where it seems the set is really popular and in demand (after TLG forget they discounted it)
    Diggydoes
    Cheshirecat: Different artwork (slightly) will probably prevent that from happening, but it would be another way for TLG to shaft the European buyer.
  • SquareSideSquareSide Member Posts: 170
    Both my B-Wing TRU order and my LEGO.com Rancor Pit & AT-RT orders(with Han and Poster of course) have shipped! Should get them both by Friday it seems! ^^
  • hantothantot UKMember Posts: 284
    anyone in the UK who ordered via TRU US got any updates as of yet? My Wife ordered it for me so i'm blind to any emails or changes of status
    edited May 2013
    My Rancor set and freebies were sent last night. Been waiting ages for something worthwhile to use my VIP points up and at a year old I thought I was in danger of losing them. A very small Lego fix until I manage to get an SSD for a decent discounted price
  • AvengerDrAvengerDr Member Posts: 453
    ^ do VIP points expire?
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    You have stock in Europe, which is retailing for £169. It isn't selling. So do you spend money shipping it out to the US where you know you've had to discount it to $99 (£65) to get any real interest, or maybe offer it in Europe at a discount (say £85) to see if that might shift some.

It's a tough call...
    ... the way things are at the moment my money's on option 4!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,003
    AvengerDr said:

^ do VIP points expire?

Yes, after 2 years or so.
  • tmgm528tmgm528 Member Posts: 457
    #CCC
    And what Lego fan doesn't use VIP points up withing 2 years? d:
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,003
    tmgm528 said:

#CCC
    And what Lego fan doesn't use VIP points up withing 2 years? d:

I think quite a few people save them up for something big / expensive, as it feels good to get a £100+ set for free, rather than 10x £10 off other orders.

Personally, I use them as I get them.
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 445
    Since I don't buy much directly from
    Lego, 10€ off any order I make sweetens everything. :-)
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959

I wonder if the B-Wing is gone forever from the US [email protected] now at "sold out" or whether they will replenish? What will happen to the European stock now if it is gone? Could go one of 3 ways:-

1. Everyone in Europe who wants one at full price buys it for fear of missing out on the set (unlikely).

2. Everyone in Europe is so radged at [email protected] for not offering a deal that it languishes in stock for a while until [email protected] drops the price unexpectedly and they all go under clearance.

3. Everyone in Europe is so radged at [email protected] for not offering a deal that it languishes in stock until Brick Friday when it is properly reduced.

Got a message back from lego today and they said the B-Wing had ceased production in the US and will be EOL'd when all stock found has been sold.

They also said that the B-Wing will be available to me "at a price you'll be happy with" in the future.
    Dougout
  • starwarfan77starwarfan77 Member Posts: 341
    @Kanohi
    thanks for taking time to explain.
    Kanohi said:

@cloaked7

It did in fact ship. The odd part I commented on was LEGO sending two emails telling me that I should expect delays - then shipping it out exactly when I would normally expect them it to. Just made me scratch my head a bit. But whatever! My B-wing is expected to arrive on Friday :)

@starwarfan77

The trap being LEGO using this sale as a way of identifying resellers. Who really needs 5 B-Wings? Perhaps I'm being paranoid but some odd things have been going on the past few months, to say the least...

I have been spending a significant amount at [email protected] and LBR for approximately a decade now and I am sure that I can be "identified as a reseller" if LEGO bothered to look into it. I have never circumvented any limits or broken any rules intentionally but it seems that that might not be good enough any longer. Maybe TLG is going another step and setting people up with a tempting sale like this. I don't know.

Like others have stated, there are plenty of other outlets to acquire sets from but I'd rather not lose the option of [email protected] - especially for my own personal collection.

--Gary

• jcb193jcb193 Member Posts: 158
    Are people really that likely to get banned? Even so, set up a new account.
    New email, different credit card.
    John Smith -> J Smyth
    Your postman will still deliver it.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ The address wouldn't change, it shouldn't be hard for TLG to catch that.
    @starwarfan77

Not a problem at all.

@jcb193

Probably not very likely. It would be very simple to get around and banning people from [email protected] not really solve the "problem" at all. (cough *amazon* cough) But stranger thanks have happened and I'm personally fine with a little paranoia from time to time :)

--Gary