Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

May the 4th Promotion 2013

Comments

• sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    edited May 2013
    Diggydoes said:

P.S.:
    You know what TLG? Screw you big time!!! I ain´t gonna buy anything these two days from you! I´ve got a couple of Han Solo Polys from a Czech seller already, HA so what now hmm?!?!

P.P.S.: the Sith Fury Interceptor is 10% off! This set doesn´t even move for 40% off at other Online-shops!

One thing is certain about this sale -
    @Diggydoes doesn't dig it.
    y2joshPenkid11Gurooojasor
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    ^ I sorta thought as much too, but I'm not 100% sure. It's a bit difficult to tell exactly how they feel. Some people are just so hard to read. :-)
  • epyon396epyon396 Member Posts: 268
    @y2josh
    You mention the Slave I...I'd sacrifice my cat to the LEGO gods for a UCS.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    epyon396 said:

@y2josh
    You mention the Slave I...I'd sacrifice my cat to the LEGO gods for a UCS.

And I rest my case.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    edited May 2013
    y2josh said:

As a point of reference, Slave I (the non-ridiculous Boba Fett version, that is) has less than 45 seconds of screen time, most of which it spends sitting on a landing platform doing nothing... but the expanded mythos of that ship and its pilot is what would sell it.

But it does play a significant role in the plot of Empire and the saga as a whole. If it wasn't for Boba Fett tracking Han Solo there would be no Luke vs. Vader showdown at Bespin. That of course potentially changes the course of the saga. Let's say that Luke finishes his training with Yoda. He wants to avenge his father's "death" and he becomes arrogant like Anakin was before his turn. During their confrontation, Luke's Jedi skills overwhelm Vader before he gives away his secret. Luke kills Vader, but in doing so gives himself to the dark side and thus becomes another pawn for the Emperor.
    Hey that plot reads a lot like what's happening with all this May the Force brew-ha-ha.

Except I think I follow the twists and turns of your plot easier than the possible B-Wing discount ramifications in the U.S. vs Germany vs Australia vs the U.K. Different discounts. Different starting dates. May the 4th on May the 3rd? It's serious stuff. I think we've @Diggydoes to the dark side due to all of this mess. And, who knows about countless others? It may really tip the balance if the U.S. does get 50% off the B-Wing. :-)
  • mrfootballmrfootball Member Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    Just confirmed with my local Lego store that the B-wing will be 50% off. In the future, this will go down as one of the best Lego deals ever, IMO, not as great as the 75% off the UCS Falcon (for Canadians)...but definitely up there. This is a great model. $100 bucks is a steal.
  • effalconeffalcon Member Posts: 71
    leaning towards not getting the B-Wing at all now... I've been holding off due to the stupid AU retail price, but wanted it.

if it does go the rumoured 50% in the US, i think i'll just give it a miss.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,011
    I wonder whether TLG is "testing the waters" today (3rd) and will offer bigger discounts come midnight if the reception to current discounted prices is luke-warm (no pun intended).

7.7% off an SSD for us in the UK? No thanks Lego, i'll bide my time for a good Amazon EU discount - it's already £23 cheaper than this "sale" on the French Amazon website. No B-wing discount seen at all yet....will we see it on May 4th?

Nothing seen on the US website yet - will they have to wait until 00:00 on May 4th (locally) for online [email protected] deals?
  • hantothantot UKMember Posts: 281
    ^ R2 was enough to get me to bite given the Han promo, but no b-wing and protest not buying the x-wing too
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Just put a non-SW order for £50, still got Han and the poster. Good job really as there were no SW discounts worth biting at IMO.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    ^ Think I will do the same.
  • SiESiE Member Posts: 238
    They will be giving han solos away again for sure. The last few years i have spent a lot on the may the 4th deals. This year i dont see anything worth buying. After the dissappointing christmas sales and now this. Aw well, fun while it lasted. My money will go to third parties now. Tesco have been the only company to do decent deals thos year.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,966
    The best kind of May 4th promo - which would not be unfairly snapped up by resellers - would be one where they give away free things with every order WITHOUT SAYING SO :)
    This promo is "fair", it makes no-one want to splash their cash for what we've seen in UK and EU. The lure of a Han Solo minifig is not enough to make me want to drop full retail money on something around £50 to get one.
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    Didnt get any SW sets, but been after some of the Superheroes sets and the Han was added to my cart. LIke others have said, none of the Star Wars offers are really grabbing me.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272

This promo is "fair", it makes no-one want to splash their cash for what we've seen in UK and EU. The lure of a Han Solo minifig is not enough to make me want to drop full retail money on something around £50 to get one.

There's always the odd set or three that is not really discounted elsewhere, I try to hone in on those, e.g. Barrel Escape.

• princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    Legoboy said:

streeker said:

@Legoboy

From your posts, I'm confident that

1. UK will get 20% off B-wing

Not online we won't be. I'm told we'll have more luck instore. :-/
    Or maybe not :s

• CalvCalv Central EnglandMember Posts: 895
    I've just phoned Milton Keynes who have loads of B wings in stock, "hundreds" according to the person who answered the phone! But there are NO price reductions on the set - it is still at full price. Looks like the only reductions in store are the same as the online reductions.

Looks like they will still have hundreds left on May 5, as presumably the new money will be going on #10240 X wing.

• mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 890
    May the 4th? Meh the 4th more like.

Friendlier on the wallet though :)
    LostInTranslationFollowsCloselyLegoFanTexasindigobox
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,966
    The series 1 friends animal polybags just went into the sale with 10% off. That's possibly the most exciting thing IMHO :)
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    Nothing for me this year.
    will keep my future purchases for later promotion.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,829

Legoboy said:

streeker said:

@Legoboy

From your posts, I'm confident that

1. UK will get 20% off B-wing

Not online we won't be. I'm told we'll have more luck instore. :-/
    Or maybe not :s

Yes, just as @Calv has confirmed, instore are not discounting the B-wing. They had hundreds delivered all over the place last week in preparation for the high demand and now the stores are left wondering what on earth they are to do with them all.

I can now confirm the 20% rumour was lined up, even yesterday it was still there, but today it has gone! :-(
  • KleiovousKleiovous UKMember Posts: 95
    ↑ Probably the surge in interest in the set over the past week, "hey this set is getting loads of hits, it must be really popular, lets keep it at full price"

If only they knew.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    Legoboy said:

Yes, just as @Calv has confirmed, instore are not discounting the B-wing. They had hundreds delivered all over the place last week in preparation for the high demand and now the stores are left wondering what on earth they are to do with them all.

I can now confirm the 20% rumour was lined up, even yesterday it was still there, but today it has gone! :-(

So all stores have been stocked up with a poor performing set, which is going to have a huge 0% discount.

Lol, who's running this company!

• sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Perhaps they are waiting for the U.S. to begin the sale on the B-wing, or perhaps they are waiting for the 4th, before starting the 20% off there.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,658
    It sounds like they are going to have lots of spare Han polys. I wonder what they will give them away with once the promo is over, or if they will sell them at the £3.99 they are worth.
  • SquareSideSquareSide Member Posts: 170
    What time EST will the US site do these deals? D:
  • jasonord69ajasonord69a UKMember Posts: 436
    I think the bigger offers will start tomorrow in line with when the US start.

I think a clue is in the name
    'May the 4th'
    timinchicago
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    this^
    cant see that they'd start it here or elsewhere before the US so i'm betting on something decent happening tonight.
  • LegobutterflyLegobutterfly Member Posts: 488
    I've just treated my husband to the rancor pit from [email protected] and had the Han polybag and May 4th poster were added to my trolley automatically. I had promised him this kit anyway, so not really worried at no discount. He's just started a new job and money is a bit tighter otherwise I would have bought him the death star. Really hoping this does not get discontinued before I manage to get the money together to get it for him.
    RomanticWarriorJonn420indigobox

'May the 4th'

Why would they do this? If they have made out that the offers are live from today and tomorrow brings better offers, they'd probably have lots of disgruntled customers who ordered today to get the free han and then found out that the same set is cheaper tomorrow. I think there'd be a lot of returned goods as a result of it.

I hope i'm proved wrong and as of midnight tonight I get offered the SSD at 20% off retail.
    I could blow my £45 VIP points towards the Rancor pit, but even though it is a £60 buy and only £15 is phyically changing hands, would I get my Han and poster?

'May the 4th'

In the past, the European offers have always been live before the US and there was never a problem with the US knowing what Europe was getting then. It seems the 50% off B-wing is fairly common knowledge anyway if lego staff are telling everyone.

I'm not sure how many returns there would be if better offers came along, simply because the offers are so bad at the moment. I couldn't find anything worth going for just for the Han minifig.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,910
    ToysnBricks are confirming 50% B-Wing in North America.
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 318
    I think people need to remember that there are a lot of outside influences that affect the possibility of sales and promotions. There is the cost of shipping to that country (or shipping back if the products do not sell), the cost of shipping within the country, the cost of storage, import taxes, regional interest for the products you are trying to sell, inventory levels, etc. Yeah it sucks when people in other regions get better deals on things but it is usually a result of other factors and not some conspiracy on the sellers part.

I think people need to remember that there are a lot of outside influences that affect the possibility of sales and promotions. There is the cost of shipping to that country (or shipping back if the products do not sell), the cost of shipping within the country, the cost of storage, import taxes, regional interest for the products you are trying to sell, inventory levels, etc. Yeah it sucks when people in other regions get better deals on things but it is usually a result of other factors and not some conspiracy on the sellers part.

Well we all know the old salestax/VAT debate, but within the EU, trading between partner countries should be (and is) favourable for something made (well most of it) and distributed from within Europe. You can quite easily treat the whole of the EU like the USA - variances of VAT between countries is like variance of state tax, the complication of sending to multiple countries should be partially offset by the cheaper logistics. The EU as a whole has as much interest in SW as the US does. As stated before, there really is no excuse for the USA to be able to pick up an item that isn't selling well for 1/3 of the price the EU customers are expected to pay.

• JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    @monkeyhanger I seem to remember someone in the UK using VIP points last May 4th and though the extras appeared in his order they turned around and took them out, I don't remember if he got them in the end.
    Jenni: Sounds par for the course for TLG to be treating their european customers.
    epyon396 said:
    I agree. I wonder if amazon will price match on the B-Wing? Or, partially price match?
    Jenni said:

@monkeyhanger I seem to remember someone in the UK using VIP points last May 4th and though the extras appeared in his order they turned around and took them out, I don't remember if he got them in the end.

That was me. I did get them, but only after a 45 minute argument on the phone about why someone decided to remove them when they were on the packing list, in the order, etc.

cloaked7 said:

epyon396 said:
    I agree. I wonder if amazon will price match on the B-Wing? Or, partially price match?
    I'm feeling a no on this one. Could be wrong though, they're weird.
    I'd get more cash-back with my Amazon card. but I'd rather have the VIP points and Han.
  • rchaddrchadd Member Posts: 187
    i can't even remember the B wing from the movies - so not surprise if it is not selling well. there were complaints about the design was flimsy so could not even hold it (no swoosh factor). i guess they have not made many so not really worried about discounting them (to clear stock).
  • maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 833
    edited May 2013
    CCC said:

Jenni said:

That was me. I did get them, but only after a 45 minute argument on the phone about why someone decided to remove them when they were on the packing list, in the order, etc.

I've just used VIP points towards my order too. £27 after VIP. Hope they don't mess it up...
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    There's more to the US/Europe thing than just taxes. I'm not going to get into it here...again. There has to be a more logical reason for the different pricing than just "Lego hates Europe". Has someone from TLG ever given a reason for this?
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    edited May 2013
    Amazon pricematching would have been a bonus - .com has previously shipped some UCS to Europe (IS, SSD) but alas B-Wing doesn't at present, for me at least.

I suppose it could still appear in Europe tonight - or even later (or else why are they shipping "hundreds" out to stores if they aren't expecting to shift them - it is clear they aren't selling at the moment!!).

"Come back, TLG, all is forgiven!?" ... or just naive optimism?
  • HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439
    Pitfall69 said:

There's more to the US/Europe thing than just taxes. I'm not going to get into it here...again. There has to be a more logical reason for the different pricing than just "Lego hates Europe". Has someone from TLG ever given a reason for this?

I think this whole EU vs US prices discussion is quite misplaced here. It's not about the price this time but the offered discount. All those points people bring up are among the reasons why Lego is cheaper in the US, true. But I'd imagine that TLG aims for a similar profit rate in both markets so by offering a discount they probably forego a roughly similar ratio of their profit.

If anything, their comments from a few years ago (which claimed that one of the reasons of the cheaper US prices is the much more intensive price competition and that they make up for it by selling in bigger volume) might indicate that their profit rate is lower in the US. (Or not - I was just speculating.)

Anyhow I'm quite sure that in a few months there will be a clearance sale on the B-wing on the EU [email protected] as well. Unless they expected a much smaller relative demand for it in Europe and they don't have that much stock here or unless it is for some weird reason selling a lot better in the EU than in the US. After this US sale I think they'll have an even harder time to sell off their European stock at full RRP. Quite a few European AFOLs might buy it through friends in the US now and even those who don't now know full well that it is a poor seller and will most likely wait for the inevitable discount. Sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy. If everyone waits for a discount, they'll have to discount it.

Though I'm not really fussed about the B-wing. If it gets to 50% off sometime then I'll buy it, otherwise I'll just let it pass. After it was 100 USD in the US I sure as hell won't pay anything close to 300 USD on it.