Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

How does LEGO vary from Europe to Australia to the US etc.?

RedBrickMarketRedBrickMarket Member Posts: 28
edited June 2011 in Collecting
I'm curious to find the difference as it seems we don't all see LEGO the same across each boarder.
- Are there more AFOL's in Europe for instance?
- Following that, is it just because there are more people interested in LEGO, or is it more accepted as an adult toy? (I feel like AFOL groups are just getting bigger here as they were already big in EU)
- Where you live, how do you expect others around you to react toward LEGO?
- Where are the biggest LEGO conventions held?
Andor

Comments

• cloud0cloud0 SingaporeMember Posts: 101
    From Singapore

-AFOL community have been growing rapidly in the past few years, might estimate we are in the hundreds in a country of 6mil.

-It's widely accepted for an adult to buy Lego, somehow i believe most of the Lego specialty shops(we don't have a Lego shop) caters to adults.

-Rarely any Lego convention held here, not sure when was the last one, we have on-going Lego sets on sale at 20% almost monthly
  • RedBrickMarketRedBrickMarket Member Posts: 28
    ^ wow, that's really neat. Thanks for the info.
    Andor
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 804
    I'm not sure, but I expect that part of the growth of the AFOL community has to do with access to the internet. As internet accessibility has grown, so has the number of people considering themselves AFOLs.

I'm not sure if there are any decent metrics for determining AFOL concentration that are available publicly. LEGO probably has some decent information, and I expect BrickLink and eBay actually might have some useful information, considering that most AFOLs purchase some degree of sets on the aftermarket.

The population of AFOLs in the USA, certainly, has kept climbing-- there aren't many people leaving the hobby, but a large number of kids and teenagers are adding themselves to the adult market.

As for reaction, I tend to find that most adults receive a pretty positive reaction to the LEGO hobby, while teens sometimes get a mix of positive and negative reactions. Certain groups of people are still skeptical of being an adult that plays with a children's toy (and spends lots of money doing so), while other groups are very accepting of the creative hobby.

Conventions are an interesting quandary. It really depends on what you want to call a "convention". I typically think of conventions as being directed at the hobbyists themselves, but it seems that these days the major events are more expositions, where hobbyists display their creations to the public at large.

BrickFest 2000, 2001, and 2002 were DEFINITELY "conventions" (there was no "public day"). Since then, the DC LEGO event (BrickFest, now BrickFair) has pretty steadily grown, but has also steadily seemed to be more about the public rather than the AFOLs. I'm told it's the largest in terms of AFOL turnout, but I honestly don't know what the numbers have been for BrickCon and Brick World to compare.

LEGO World in Europe (initially in the Netherlands, now also in Denmark?) is by far the biggest "exposition", since it draws LOTS of people from the general public-- but I'm not sure what it gets in terms of AFOL turnout, or what it has for AFOL-centric activities during the course of the event.

Anyway, I believe the contenders for "biggest" are probably BrickFair and LEGO World, but other events could be serious contenders (I haven't made enough rounds in recent years to know for sure).

DaveE
  • EnbricEnbric Member Posts: 64
    I took a look at Bricklink after davee mentioned it, here's some of the public data it offers...
    • US members outnumber EU members 1.9:1 (93,316 compared to 50,286)
    • Top five countries of members: USA, UK, Canada, Germany, Australia
    • To find 1 registered Bricklink member, you would on average have to sift through about 40,000 people. (assuming population of ~6.9B and BL pop of 171K.)
    Correct my math if I'm wrong.
    Oh, and if Brickset was a country based on the current monthly global people visiting it would be approaching Barbados in size.
  • theseasentineltheseasentinel Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    I would agree with Cloud0 from Singapore, numbers seem to be increasing dramatically in Australia as in Singapore.

In my experience the Lego User Groups in Melbourne and Perth are quite active. Public expositions and train shows still remain popular. I'm sure other State capitals, Adelaide, Brisbane and Sydney, also have an avid fan base.

Sadly the problem with Australia is the horrendous price point for Lego products. We are paying almost double the cost that the United States pays for set, yet the Australian $ is 5 to 9 cents above parity?

As such I have not purchased Lego from an Australian retailer in well over 18 months, I know for a small fee I can ship it from the US and save hundreds of dollars.... strangely the savings go back to purchasing more Lego!

I am sure that many Australians are waiting patiently for the Lego theme park to open in Malaysia in due course. It's proximity to the Singapore airport hub will see a great number of Aussie visitors.

Cheers, theseasentinel, (now in Canberra)
  • bkprbkpr Texas, USAMember Posts: 295
    edited June 2011
    I'm an Aussie living in Malaysia! I've never heard of this Lego theme park :(

Incidentally, I have two used sets (star destroyer and death star) from the US stuck in customs at the moment. Trying all I can to free them. It's difficult.
    Post edited by @Matthew -21/06/11 17.21 BST - Reason for Edit: Removed mild profanity from post.
  • cloud0cloud0 SingaporeMember Posts: 101
    Ysah it's true. Ready in 2013 according to Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legoland_Malaysia
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,284
    edited June 2011
    • US members outnumber EU members 1.9:1 (93,316 compared to 50,286)
    • Top five countries of members: USA, UK, Canada, Germany, Australia
    • To find 1 registered Bricklink member, you would on average have to sift through about 40,000 people. (assuming population of ~6.9B and BL pop of 171K.)
    I like your number crunching, but I think a more insightful calculation than the last one would be bricklink members of a country/population of a country rather than globally.

I like your number crunching, but I think a more insightful calculation than the last one would be bricklink members of a country/population of a country rather than globally.
    I agree entirely, since there are so many countries with very little Lego penetration. If I ever find a few hours I might try to pile together a graph or something for a bunch of countries.

Sorry for the late response, was away for a week.