Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Separating Plates Nightmare

JBricks27JBricks27 Member Posts: 677
edited March 2013 in Building and Techniques
Uploaded with Imgupr

Need I say more? I scored some plates from my local stores PAB wall and in an effort to fit the most I could in the cup, decided to stack these 6x8s together and now am regretting it. Not even a brick separator is doing much... Any tips? Please help!
LEGOFan2

Comments

• epyon396epyon396 Member Posts: 268
    Use an x-acto blade very, very carefully as to not cut/gouge the plastic.

Or your teeth. That's what I always used when I was younger. I was so pissed when I found out that brick separators existed.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,528
    Use 2 brick separators, one on the bottom and one on the top, that will do it.
    y2josh
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    edited March 2013
    I got a little overzealous with optimizing the PAB cup too. :-)) The brick separator is your friend...go for it. It wil be done in no time.

On a PAB related note, I see a lot of 4x4, 4x6, 6x8 plates on the wall, very happy with that. I remember the days ( not so fondly) when the bins used to be full of only 2x 4 bricks.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    i've done the same thing - 2 brick seperators
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,864
    EKSam said:

I remember the days ( not so fondly) when the bins used to be full of only 2x 4 bricks.

They still are at the ones closest to me... :(
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 651
    Brick separators start to lose efficiency on those 6x8 and larger-size plate stacks. They will definitely help, but they won't pop right off the way 1x2's or 2x4's will. The connection will be loosened, however, which will allow you to wedge the sharp end of the separator (you do know about the sharp edge, right?) in between the plates to finish the job.
    thenos
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    I had to do this a few days ago when my son decided to stack about 20 6x12 plates. I used one brick separator on the corner of the top plate to get some separation, then just used my fingers to create separation down the long side and gradually "peel" it off.
  • JBricks27JBricks27 Member Posts: 677
    Please can one of the mods could fix the typo in the name of this thread. I must have not checked it before I created the discussion.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,264
    I just use my fingernails on plates like that.
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    edited March 2013
    This will do the trick, or even just two.

If you only have one brick separator, as binaryeye says start at a corner and not in the middle of the plate. Being nearer an edge makes separation easier
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 829
    edited March 2013
    Or you could do what I sometimes do and get a very sharp knife to do the trick (just be careful as to not damaging the plastic or yourself) :-)
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    @Paperballpark

I understand your pain:-) and get this, I saw roof tiles(2x4) in 3 different colors, red, blue and light gray:-)) 2 different kinds of plants, 1x4 smooth plates, brown arched windows, white arches...I better stop now, lest you feel like tossing some real bricks at me. :-)). Kidding aside, the selection has improved quite a bit.

@graphite

You must have really strong nails:-)

@Oldfan

I used the sharp egde too, very effective, only problem is the egde looses its sharpness very soon.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,113
    Two brick separators, on the long side, not the short edge. Should come off easy as anything. Should be fine even with one, roughly in the middle of the long edge.
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 445
    Indeed, my trick is to use my beloved Victorinox pocket knife, just use it with care. Be careful with the bricks, but also with your own hand! These babies will cut you like a thin piece of paper.

I bought mine from Amazon, they are relatively cheap over there, for the quality implied.
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 829
    legoprods said:

Indeed, my trick is to use my beloved Victorinox pocket knife, just use it with care. Be careful with the bricks, but also with your own hand! These babies will cut you like a thin piece of paper.

I bought mine from Amazon, they are relatively cheap over there, for the quality implied.

I also have one of those, they can come in handy from time to time but they are lethal
  • chrisdojochrisdojo Member Posts: 168
    edited March 2013
    @jvdrummer182 I've done the same thing. Take a separate plate and press it on top of the stack, staggering it by 1 row of "bumps". When you pry the newly placed plate off, it usually pulls the plate below it just enough to slip your fingernail in between the next two plates (check ALL sides) to pry it a little more. Jam an orange brick separator in (the handle side that tapers down to a wedge) and separate the rest of the plate. Sometimes you have to work one side at a time to avoid warping the plate too much (opposed to heavily prying ONLY one side to remove the entire plate).

Next time, stagger each plate by 1 row of "bumps", and maybe even fill the staggered gap with 1x1 round pieces (for maximum use of the PAB cup). Then you have something to grab on to when pulling them apart.

If this is too wordy and doesn't make sense.... sorry :D
  • JBricks27JBricks27 Member Posts: 677
    Using one brick separator on the top of the stack of plates and one on the bottom left marks on the sides of the plates and didn't help separate at all. I went with a small sharp knife on the corner to slightly split two plates apart and then wedged a brick separator in to finish the job. I had to be very careful with the knife to not damage the plates or cut myself. It's not the safest method, but proved to be most effective.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    I always use my teeth.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 867
    Next time you do a PAB cup, offset the stack by one row of studs for each layer. I've learned this the hard way.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,965
    I did this recently as well, but when I pushed my plates together, I pushed them enough to make a nice block, but with mini-gaps between them still. The mini-gaps were enough to easily use a brick separator and get everything apart. It might not be 'quite' as efficient, but it was still quite efficient in conserving room, and making it easy to take a part.
  • dejavudejavu USAMember Posts: 235
    If you stagger the stack by one row of studs, you can go back and forth (like real brick laying), or if the plates are nearly square (such as 6x8) you can alternate them north/south and east/west. they won't take up much additional space that way. I have to admit, I only learned the 'right way' of using a brick separator recently (I think it was shown in the Palace Cinema instruction book...). Up till then, I pretty much only used the sharp end of the separator, which is not as efficient. I'm so happy to have learned the right way! Now my thumbnails do not get chipped up and my manicurist does not give me such a strange look!