Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

[US] The Hobbit An Unexpected Gathering 79003 $55.56 Amazon

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,609
    I am sitting here debating if it will go lower or not and if I should get 0, 1, or 2
  • RonyarRonyar Member Posts: 357
    It was low enough for me to pull the trigger on 1 for me to build. I missed it at this price last time, but it only lasted at an hour before it bounced back up.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    Not quick enough. It's at $60.97 now. I would have snagged 1 or 2 at the $55.56 price. Oh well... maybe next time. :-)
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,609
    Well I decided to do the same since I am no longer in a position to hunt Walmart clearance. Can't miss out on this set and 21% is a good chunk off.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    Bought it then canceled. I want the set to build, but I'm trying to severely cut back on Lego purchases this year. I will eventually get it before it EOL's though.
  • HELLRAZR_28HELLRAZR_28 Member Posts: 61
    I bought it for $52 and change through AWD the other day. Looking forward to building it.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,937
    Missed it. Maybe next time. It is one of the few sets my daughter has any interest in.
    Ha!!
    edited March 2013
    It's $55.58 again. Don't know how long it will last, because usually it is only for a short time (less than 1 day). I got 2 this time.
  • DavidBrickleyDavidBrickley Richmond, VAMember Posts: 338
    Thanks for the update, got it this time.
    At $60 again.
    Never figured that out about Amazon. That is, the way their prices fluctuate. I have seen this on many sets, many times. A set will be 'on sale' early in the day for a short time and bounce back to it's regular price (which may be below or at RRP).

Not complaining, just don't understand why they do this. Anyone have a theory?
    I assume they lower the price until they hit a certain threshold of sales, and then it goes back up... and if that doesn't gather enough sales, it goes back down.

My theory could be wrong, though.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,339
    It seems that I have been "Little Timmy" of late because I can't seem to get my hands on any set I want at sale prices. Poor me :(
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    cloaked7 said:

... A set will be 'on sale' early in the day for a short time and bounce back to it's regular price (which may be below or at RRP).

Not complaining, just don't understand why they do this. Anyone have a theory?

They are testing the "Brickset effect" ?
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,248
    mathew said:

Bought it then canceled. I want the set to build, but I'm trying to severely cut back on Lego purchases this year. I will eventually get it before it EOL's though.

@mathew- I would easily rank this as one of the better sets that LEGO has produced. Considering it is for building purposes, I'd go ahead and purchase it.

Sitting back and waiting on it will only give you less time to sit back and enjoy looking at it :o)
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    It's been sitting at $61 forever (ok, a few days). If you wanna get it, I suggest getting it. Heck, it's only $5 1/2 bucks above the lowest price advertised in this thread.
    edited March 2013
    ^ Yup, I think the Bag End set will do very, very well. Just think... 2 more Hobbit movies, more Hobbit sets. The Bag End set may still be current when the last movie is in theaters, but I doubt it. If it isn't I can see it being a very popular set when it EOL's. Plus, it has been stated by some that review lots of LEGO sets that it is one of the best sets ever. I am not such an expert, but I agree. The build is great. The play value is a 10. The minifigs are great too. And, at $55 (if you can get it for that) or even $60 it is a great value for 652 pcs.

Now I've gone and talked myself into getting 2-3 more if they drop to $55 again. :-) Me and my big mouth! :-) Always getting me in trouble!
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,640
    Currently at $56.75 if anyone missed the $55.56
    Thanks. I managed to snag this one this morning. I missed the yoyo sale after debating too long, since I wasn't sure about one set. This one, though, I knew we wanted for an upcoming bday.
  • CurvedRoadPlateCurvedRoadPlate Member Posts: 255
    Back up to $60
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    ^ Thank goodness, was able to PM against Target earlier this morning with the lower price.
  • exciter1exciter1 Member Posts: 201
    Back down to $56.75 this morning.
    edited April 2013
    Good gravy, and it's still that price. Recently, when they mark it down it is only for a short time in the am. I wonder how long this price will last?

Also, don't know if it was always limited, but right now you are limited to 2.
    Just checked and the price is at $60.97 now.

I must say, I am very intrigued with Amazon pricing. That is, when it comes to items that fluctuate in price quite a bitt. This set being one of them. I could be wrong, but I think software is determining the price. It probably takes into account a lot of factors. Cost, volume, inventory, demand, sales per hour or minute, sales history, how many are on order. It could be a person adjusting the price, but I just don't see that being the case, what with the tens of thousands of items Amazon sells. And, even if it is a person, they definitely have software helping them determine what to set the price and when to set it.
    My assumption has always been that is what is happening. They probably quite a number of auto-filters, which would be why the price goes down, sale hit a certain threshold and it goes up. Not enough sales? It goes down.

I'm sure they have people that auto-tune and check the filters, but I can't envision anybody doing changing prices by hand on their many items.
  • ZonZon Member Posts: 214
    Bump - lowered back down to $56.75 again.
  • FenrisAkashiFenrisAkashi Member Posts: 242
    If I had to guess I would say the small rapid fluctuations are likely part of an initiative to discourage price matches to Target and the like.
    If you get burned once by driving all to the store to discover the price has increased...your much less likely to do so again and just place the order online when you see it at that price.
    I don't think these fluctuations on Amazon are all that new, though. I've seen them occur for over a year on things like the police station, and Target didn't start price matching pnline until recently.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,217
    Id rather buy them from Amazon to be honest, I do not trust brick and mortar stock.
    Also, I can point to many items that stick at a discount price for a while. Items people could easily price match at the stores.
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, Best Buy has also recently started price matching Amazon.com as well on many items.
    and the Unexpected gathering is back up to 60.97 again on Amazon
    ^BB carries Lego?
    ^ BB and LEGO? Nah, not to my knowledge. I think madforLEGO was referring to electronics and such. BB now price matches with Amazon on the things they both carry.
    ^ I was referring to electronics, not LEGO, I guess there are the video games...
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Heck, even Fry's carries LEGO these days, so why not Best Buy? :)
    Good point. Books A Million now sells Duck Dynasty t-shirts, hats, DVD's, bobble heads... Well, they sell them if they have them in stock. The DD stuff doesn't last long anywhere. I'd rather be trying to find Jabba's Place than a DD hat! :-)
    ^ Gah, I love DD, and there aren't any BAM around in CA :(.
  • woodpilewoodpile Member Posts: 7
    Down to $55.61 at the moment.
    Back up to $60.97. The $55.61 usually doesn't last long.
    Currently at $56.04
  • fullycompletelyfullycompletely Member Posts: 20
    How is this set?
    It has been described as one of the best LEGO set ever ... Brickset Review
  • OUWxGuesserOUWxGuesser Member Posts: 92
    My wife even made positive remarks for this set. If she likes it, then dang- it must be good.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^^^Fantastic as a stand alone set or even better with 'Gandalf Arrives' as a companion. Easily best single set from LotR and Hobbitt lines.
  • starwarfan77starwarfan77 Member Posts: 341
    edited May 2013
    finally was able to get one at $56.04

too much money spent on lego this month. wife gonna have a fit when she realizes we won't have enuff for the month..

How is this set?

It has also been described as one of the best LEGO sets ever. For any theme. And, I agree. The build, the look, the playability, the minifigs. And, at $55 an excellent price. A no brainer (must have) for a LOTR or Hobbit fan.

• mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    I finally saw this set on display. It is nice looking, but strangely smaller than I expected. It's on my list of sets to buy, but I think it will be in production until at least the final Hobbit movie is released in 2015.
  • fullycompletelyfullycompletely Member Posts: 20
    Got it for $56.04 with free 2 day shipping from prime. Definitely looks cool. Pretty amped about this one. Thanks for the heads up guys.