KRE-O??

ThisIsMyCupThisIsMyCup Member Posts: 156
edited June 2011 in Shopping Elsewhere
has anyone seen/bought any of the KRE-O building sets?? They are Transformer themed and made by Hasbro. they looked like lego/megabloks. i saw them at TRU while taking advantage of the BOGO deals.

Comments

• EnbricEnbric Member Posts: 64
    edited June 2011
    See this review. I haven't seen any myself and don't intend on buying any, but apparently the quality is up there with Oxford Bricks, which is generally considered very good quality as far as clone brands go.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    There were two previous discussions started about KREO Transformers that I sequestered in order to ascertain whether we'd permit discussion to continue about the product. I'm allowing it for now, and so I'm posting the original two posts, as well:

@vwong19 said:
    "Curious if anyone on this board is contemplating sampling any Transformers Kre-o, Hasbro's version building block toy that is compatible with LEGO. It appears that the price/brick cost is a little cheaper than LEGO and some of the sets include Transformers minifigs.

I think this product may be in direct competition with LEGO's Bionicles/Heros line, which I'm not a fan of. Personally I've only purchased one Bionicle and that was years ago. The main reason was to get with an articulating robot, but I didn't care for the story. Kre-o seems to offer similar articulation to Bionicles, but have a well known back story that many people are familiar with.

I understand Kre-o is a knock off of LEGO and the kits do not even transform to vehicle mode, but LEGO will never come out with a Transformer lines. It may be possible to replicate the design, by substituting the parts with LEGO bricks, but the minifigs themselves are a pretty attractive item which cannot be easily reproduced.

Anyway, I may pick up a set for my son who is a huge Transformers fan, especially if it goes on sale. Personally I'm very interested in the minifigs. I've been collecting Marvel Mega Bloks minifigs also, so I'm already used to the idea of non-LEGO items."

@monkey_roo said:
    "I know these aren't Lego products exactly (well at all as they are produced by Hasbro) but if it look like Lego and plays nicely with other Lego... Anyway these look really nice, just thought they would be of interest - http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=15147"
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    Transformers that don't transform = epic fail (IMHO)
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,128
    yeah. i read the review part where he wrote something like "i built the truck mode but haven't had a chance to build robot mode yet", and I was like "huh? you mean it doesnt' just transform between them without taking it a part and building the other model?"

kind of defeats the whole point if you ask me.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    It was bad enough having to make the transform noise whilst transforming the original Hasbro toys, think I'd get a sore throat whilst transforming these!
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    ^ rofl
  • paul88paul88 Member Posts: 164
    I picked up the Mirage set today (blue/white formula race car for non TF fans). I basically got it to check out the quality and for the minifig.

The biggest LOL moment is reading the box... "Build race car OR robot" What a rip off... So...could they not figure out a design that would transform or is it a licensing restriction? Who knows.

The main bricks fit together tightly and seem very impressive quality wise. The Mirage minifigure is nice, but the race car driver already has stress marks on his one rist and one of the hip joints (out of the box).

I'd only recommend these if you are buying it for the _transformer character_ minifigures. The sets don't seem to offer too much since the robot designs look just "ok", and the car designs well....I guess if you want to just build and look at a car?

I literally laugh out loud every time I look at the box where it states "Build race car OR robot". I feel bad for the kids that buy these under the possible impression that they actually transform.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    ^ technically it does transform, just really really (really) slowly!
  • IwantmorelegosIwantmorelegos USAMember Posts: 42
    I talked to some of the Kre-o people at San Diego Comic-con and the reason they don't transform is because they feel it might pull buyers from the action figure line and they don't want to be in compition with themselves (the idea and a few designs do exist for it though). I also found out the head designer used to be a designer for lego.
  • knuclear200xknuclear200x Member Posts: 45
    I bought the basic Optimus Prime set, a couple of the pieces were pretty interesting, like what makes the legs and that hinged brick.
    Transformers that don't transform = epic fail (IMHO)
    UH-WHUH?! They so DO transform, see you gotta connect that piece there and this other piece to that piece, and then add the thing with the guy, and then...VOILA it's a spaceship truck submarine with a dog in the driver's seat! I put the dog there cuz i can.