Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Dealing with disappointment - Maersk Train anyone?

sramsram Member Posts: 60
edited March 2013 in Building and Techniques
I had on a whim bought the modulars when they came out, and was not too excited about the "Market Street". But then it was discontinued and I kicked myself for not buying it. I am sure there are others who have dealt with this disappointment.

Well my solution was to build one with the instructions and the bricks I had lying around. I got pretty close, enough to be done with that itch.

Now I am missing the Maersk train, so I figured I would do the same. The major compromise was that I was not going to be hung up about the "maersk blue" color. I am willing to build it with any color combination that I had the bricks for.

The issue now is all those special pieces that Lego puts into each of its sets!!! Besides the new colors, new moulds and pieces are TLC's way of insuring that they survive (nay thrive!). Now I would need to hunt for those pieces in Bricklink or (fingers crossed) pick-a-brick.

I am curious, has anyone else been able to scratch the itch of a missed set by simply using the pieces they already have? Using bricklink to put together the missing set seems too expensive and not scratch worthy ;-)

Comments

• jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    I just finished #10018 Darth Maul like that. :) Already had about 75% of it in my collection.
    margot
  • sramsram Member Posts: 60
    Made you feel better -- I hope?
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 668
    I actually scratch-built a Market Street. It's about 98% complete with color substitutions for the rarer parts (white hoses, dark blue arches). Took many months to get it together, since I only had about half of it in my loose collection and had to wait on LUGBulk to get a lot of the medium blue without breaking the bank. It's EXTREMELY satisfying to get it finished because it takes so long.
  • sramsram Member Posts: 60
    I need to do this more often... my market street is missing some windows. But it is mostly there... I did not worry about the color of the arches either.