Forum hyperlinks to database.

EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
edited June 2011 in Forum Operation
I know it's a bit lazy, but I have noticed a few 'automatic' hyperlinks pop up around the place that are seemingly useless.

For example: http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/961/dark-ages#Item_8
There, legohair refers to set #810 which is oddly hyperlinked to search the forum. They were obviously meaning to link to the set page in the database.

So really my question is two fold, how, if I'm referring to a set can I create the appropriate hyperlink to the database? and Why does legohairs link search the forum not the database? This is a problem with code in the database, or user error?

Hope you get what I'm trying to say, I think my wording is a bit muddled.

Thanks

Comments

• rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    BricksetForum is hosted by VanillaForums and consequently is running the base VanillaForum software. The # tag is a built-in feature to search the forum and has no integration with the Brickset site. It would be nice to have integration for a number of different features, but that's not going to happen until the forum is hosted on an independent web server which is not currently on Huw's near-term radar as the trade-off involves devoting more time than is presently desirable.
  • EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    Okay, I understand, would be handy though. Permission to close and delete. :)
  • EnbricEnbric Member Posts: 64
    edited June 2011
    To answer your other question... you can link to the database like this...

{a href="810 url"}810{/a}

Simply replace the { and } with < and > respectively and you will get this (Bricklink url used since 810 predates Brickset's database range).

edited June 2011
    ^ Well... that's bricklink, not brickset :P

If you wish to manually hotlink a set entry, the forum software honors html:

"[a href="http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=375-2"]375/6075 Yellow Castle[/a] is the quintessential set of a LEGO castle collection"

where one would replace [ ] with < > to form:

"375/6075 Yellow Castle is the quintessential set of a LEGO castle collection"
    The process works the same way for any website, as you demonstrated. I assumed he could infer that "810 url" could be used interchangeably for any url, Bricklink or Brickset, or anything else, and since he was inquiring about 810 I figured I would just show him that.

Regardless, now he definitely knows how to link to whatever he wants.
    Haha, There you go, learn something everyday. Thanks guys, good to know. :)
    @Enbric: I posted after I saw your original post that just had 810 hot-linked twice without the HTML syntax visibly demonstrated. I see now that you've since edited it so that my post looks redundant... no worries :P
    Ah yes I was very surprised to see that adding a period before the a in the tags still produced the link so I had to quickly edit! Seems like I wasn't quick enough for you =).
  • legohairlegohair Member Posts: 41
    Eric, I'm really grateful for you asking this quetion on my behalf. Thanks, man! I was indeed trying to insert a link and had seen the #link used by others, so thought I'd try it (I'm an utter HTML novice). But, of course it didn't work, not least because 810 isn't in the Brickset database! And thanks to you guys for providing the answer too :-)
    ^ Haha, it had me stumped a while back and when I saw your post it prompted this thread. :o)