Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Future Modulars...

LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
edited June 2011 in Everything else LEGO
Couldn't find a discussion on this, so I thought I'd start one. Hopefully it'll be well received and have a lot of input.

I guess this topic can go two ways. What would you like to see be made as future modules, or what are the rumors of things to come?

I'm not one of the talented MOC people, and so I rely on the neat sets put out by Lego. I really like the modular buildings. I've managed to buy almost all of them, with the exception of Market Street. I would love to see more buidings made available in the coming years. What would I like to see done? Well more apartments or homes for one, but even better would be other community elements. Here's a list of possibilities:
Bank
Library
Museum
Police Station
Hospital

So, what would you like to see and why?

And anyone hear what might be in store for 2012?

Comments

• StevenAshbyStevenAshby Member Posts: 155
    some good options there, Id love to see a train station could even MOC it to add a track running behind the rest of my street that would be great.

id also like to see and old ballroom or dance hall with large chandeliers, just think it would look fantastic
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    Yes, a train station would be a nice addition, although it might be tricky trying to add it to the current style - in the format of a part of a city block. Perhaps as a stand alone addition?

In the line of a ballroom, I would think a theater would also be a nice addition. It could be either a movie theater or an actual theatrical theater with a stage and actors.
  • alijoezacalijoezac UK, NottinghamMember Posts: 546
    My vote is for a hotel or perhaps a cosy Bed and Breakfast. I guess a Pub or Bar is not an option ;-)
  • legohairlegohair Member Posts: 41
    A bank would be great. A likely choice too, I reckon, as it's sort of internationally universal and has good playability options as well as great architctural potential.

A post office would be a cracking alternative. So many options for play!

A generously proportioned apartment block woud be good. Say four suites, each with its own furnished style and minifigs. Great variety in one model and, again, superb playablity. Too pricey?

I'd love to see a newspaper office, you know, Clarke Kent style. Busy newsroom, photography team, printing presses in the basement, delivery depot at the back with a truck, and 'read all about it' minifigs out the front! Quite American in concept but most of them are (Fire Brigade, Emporium...).

A bike/sports store would be cool too - maybe a modular upgrade of the shack-shop in 7641-1 City Corner, but add in other sports which would appeal to kids (gasp). Or a modular upgrade of the Classic 6373 Motorcycle Shop, one of my all time faves.

They could also do modular versions of anything in the Winter series - toy shop? bakery?

Oh, the possibilities...
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,479
    A Post office... It is the only set that has not been done for a long time (since the Bank was recently created...although tiny)
    There is rumors of a new hospital for next year for city.. so not sure about that one..
    Maybe a hardware store?

Maybe a Lego insane asylum for me with all of these darn expensive great sets I want to buy...

I am going to build a 'new' motorcycle shop... it is one of my projects.
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    I would like to see a Bank or Old Style Police Station...like FB...But it will more than likely be a corner building so what kind of building would fit with that is the question.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    edited June 2011
    Here is a previous thread with ideas for future modular buildings: http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/429/modular-building-ideas

I'm pasting it simply as a reference since the previous discussion is not simple to find due to "modular" returning too many hits as a keyword. We're supposed to be getting discussion merge functionality soon, so when that happens, it'll definitely have it's uses.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    i don't think it will be a corner. we had:

corner (cafe)
    inside (grocer)
    inside (fire brigade)
    corner emporium
    inside (pet shop)

I'd say the pattern is 1 corner, 2 insides, 1 corner, 2 insides, etc., which means we are due for another inside one. If one considers Market street part of the lineup (I personally don't don't think it is, but that's just my opinion),then the pattern could even be be 1-3-1-3, etc.
    Here is a previous thread with ideas for future modular buildings: http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/429/modular-building-ideas

I'm pasting it simply as a reference since the previous discussion is not simple to find due to "modular" returning too many hits as a keyword. We're supposed to be getting discussion merge functionality soon, so when that happens, it'll definitely have it's uses.
    @rocao I did try searching, but my results only went back to June 1st. I can't seem to find any sort of advanced search feature...

Anyways, thanks for the link, and if a merge is necessary, by all means please do so.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    I love the idea of a Movie theater! That's a great one, Imagine what they could do with the front ticket booth! and the concession stand! Although it would be kinda hard to scale it right, probably only 2 theaters with a hand full of chairs.
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 832
    Some ideas we've tossed around:

- Barber Shop
    - Toy Store
    - Bakery
    - Book Store
    - Gallery
    - Music Store

DaveE
    like I said, no worries in this case. Now if you had started a new thread asking us to identify a part, I would unleash my wrath :P
    Lot's of good ideas so far. Thanks for everyone's input:

Bank
    Library
    Museum
    Police Station
    Hospital/Doctor's Office
    Train Station
    Ballroom/Dance hall
    Theater/Cinema
    Hotel
    Bed & Breakfast Inn
    Post Office
    Apartments
    Newspaper building
    Fitness Center
    School/College
    Office building

Someone mentioned a bakery... I was thinking about that too and a few others:

Bakery
    Deli
    Barber/Beauty Salon
    Hardware Store
    Auto Mechanic
    City Hall/Court

The idea of an insane asylum is great, but I don't think it'll ever become official. LOL

Also the idea of a church is interesting. Might not happen because of different belief systems throughout the world, but it would be neat.

He-he... I think we have enough for the next 20 years!

Some ideas we've tossed around:

- Barber Shop
    - Toy Store
    - Bakery
    - Book Store
    - Gallery
    - Music Store

DaveE
    Excellent! Great minds think alike.... haha...

I like the idea of a music store and art gallery.
    What a great list. I'd love to live in THIS town.

I love the barber/salon idea. It'd allow them to introduce scissors and 'half-cut hair' - very dear to my heart! ;-)
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,742
    LEGO really opened Pandora's box with Fire Brigade - it presumably means they would now consider a modular police station, hospital etc.

I suspect I'll like whatever they release in the modular range, so my only request is that they just keep cranking these out on a fairly regular basis.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
    I haven't even started with the Modular Buildings yet, it would cost me a ridiculous amount of money to go from the beginning.
    I would also like a movie theatre, but there was one in Town Plan, so I don't think we'll get it. I have a useful contact at TLG, who has told me that they probably would not be able to make a Winter Village (context) or any other Church, unless it was in Architecture or similar.
    I would also like a Post Office, and that would definitely get me started on the modulars.
    I know a lot of people were expecting a Post Office instead of Pet Shop (CC Cherries - GG Fire Hydrant - FB Woman with bag - GE Post Box/ Ice Cream stall - Post Office/ Ice Cream Parlour - Pet Shop???) so maybe we'll get one next time. I would also love a School, and a proper City Library wouldn't go amiss either.
  • ZeyaZeya Member Posts: 36
    I haven't even started with the Modular Buildings yet, it would cost me a ridiculous amount of money to go from the beginning.
    You don't have to go from the beginning. I think Lego will continue to make modular buildings. I just got into it and ordered my first building: Fire Brigade. I'll get the GE and Pet Shop later (money is an issue); GE will likely be on shelves for another year at least. I don't plan on trying to buy even the Green Grocer at an inflated cost, let alone Market Street and Cafe Corner. There's no way I'm paying over a grand for a Lego set.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    yeah. i started with FB since my dark ages and will just go from there. the most recent 3 modulars are all still in production, so you really would only be out CC and GG.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited June 2011
    More ideas you might like ;)
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/181/ideas-for-lego-sets-the-more-out-of-the-box-the-better
    Agree about the search by the way.

The inside rumours for the pet shop were that it was a post office, whcih implies they might have one in the works, might be next, personally I think it might be this years new winter theme though.

Modular-wise I dont care what it is so much as the style. I'd like them to extend the date range of the architecture they're dealing with, and ideally spread it geographically too. A super-modern modular would be great or something pre-19th century looking. Maybe something with a japanese touch or something might keep it interesting too.
    ^ Agree with this. Im working on an LDD modular bank at the moment and it's in a (basic) modern style. I'll put it on flickr soon. I have no problem with the current sets' very US late nineteenth / early twentieth century architectural styles. I love them. But I agree it'd be good to have something more International to add variety to the street scene.

I'd also love something more traditionally English (eg. Cotswold) or Scottish (eg. baronial castle), but I suppose that woud limit the market...

And, from your link, I love your suggestion of an antiques shop and some Gaudi (Park Guell) stuff - surely someone's working on a Sagrada Familia as we speak?!

I'd also buy acres of your 'roadplates with wiggles'.
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 476
    I would like to see for modular ideas:

Post office
    Bank (with vault, etc)
    Art gallery
    Florist
    Book store
  • BricknaveBricknave Member Posts: 1
    I think a Hospital like what Legogeek mentioned would be good, because we haven't seen a Hospital from the City theme since 2006. I'm sure all those Firemen and Policemen (who are constantly getting new buildings) need a place to heal. ;-)

Here are some more ideas to add to the collection:
    -Dentist's office
    -Pharmacy
    -Realtor's office
    -Movie store
    -Video game store

I can imagine the Dentist's office would have a giant tooth or toothbrush sign outside, and half of the minifigs would be frowning kids.
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 832
    and half of the minifigs would be frowning kids.
    Oh, that'd be a great lineup: Places You Hate Going To! Featuring the DMV, Welfare Office, Social Security, Tax Attorney, Courthouse, Insurance Office, etc.

DaveE
    I think a library or bookstore would be a very good fit for a modular because they are often multi-story, traditionally have large windows to allow for colorful interiors to shine through, and should be staples of any vibrant town, real or imagined.

I'm slowly working on building both myself.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    ^ Based on your recent BOGO extravaganza, I assume these modulars will be grey and round? :o)
  • tom_cattom_cat Member Posts: 1
    "So, what would you like to see and why?"

An Apple Store, because they always look so classy lol!
  • bzcatbzcat Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2011
    A lot of good suggestions in this thread for type of buildings. Here are two of my ideas:

1. Modular building car dealership. Showroom on 1st floor with a drive up ramp (or lift?) to an upper level service bay and customer lounge. Basically, something you see in a lot of urban area car dealerships.

2. A fine dinning restaurant. Cafe Corner was great but it didn't have an interior. This set could have a kitchen and bar sitting area (non-alcoholic bar of course! lol) on 1st floor, dinning room on 2nd floor, and patio/terrace seating on the 3rd floor.

My other suggestion for Lego is to add more diverse architectural styles to the modular house palette. All the sets thus far has been art deco... which are great; but how about some mid-century modern style sets down the road?
    edited June 2011
    A lot of good suggestions in this thread for type of buildings. Here are two of my ideas:

1. Modular building car dealership. Showroom on 1st floor with a drive up ramp (or lift?) to an upper level service bay and customer lounge. Basically, something you see in a lot of urban area car dealerships.
    Or just do a lube shop/general town garage, with waiting room above the work area, or also have the showroom next to it (which is how one of the dealerships in my area was)

A public works center would be nice too.

Or they could always build the Fire Brigade 'training' building.. only uses Black and Greys and some flames... no need for door or windows...lol
    edited June 2011
    Sorry I've been away a while. Busy at work this week, and then to top it off I got sick...
    Modular-wise I dont care what it is so much as the style. I'd like them to extend the date range of the architecture they're dealing with, and ideally spread it geographically too. A super-modern modular would be great or something pre-19th century looking. Maybe something with a japanese touch or something might keep it interesting too.
    Although I really do like the architectural styling of the current modulars, a little more variety might be nice. But somehow I like the theme of brick & mortar buildings vs steel and glass. It gives a more rural flavor to an otherwise urban setting.
    edited June 2011

But then we'll have to put a Microsoft store across the street.
    edited June 2011

But then we'll have to put a Microsoft store across the street.
    Will the Microsoft building slowly start assimilating the buildings around it?
    edited June 2011
    LOL! No, that's the BORG shop down the street.
  • bzcatbzcat Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2011
    Nah, but all the windows will probably be broken...
    edited June 2011
    Lol! ... Or maybe that's the Google store?

Perhaps the Microsoft store is the one where the infrastructure's fundamentally creaking at the seams, but they just keep painting over it ...

... and the apple store wont connect to any of the other buildings, and it costs twice as much because it's more shiny.
    ^^ LOL.....
    But it makes a much nicer sound when you open the door... Sound brick!
  • veritas313veritas313 Member Posts: 80
    Why don't lego make a "Lego" toy store? I've seen an MOC for sale on ebay for a Toys R Us modular and it looks great - a lego branded one would be a sure fire hit for collectors. I also want to create a lego distribution centre for my city - I have 10 lego city trucks waiting for a base to deliver from.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
    I also want to create a lego distribution centre for my city - I have 10 lego city trucks waiting for a base to deliver from.
    That sounds like a brilliant idea, that I'm sure would make a great set, although just a distribution/cargo centre/warehouse would be fantastic set in my book, which incidentally would have been perfect in this theme.
  • VadimDVadimD Member Posts: 4
    the top 5 I'd like to at the the nearly complete street I have now (just pet shop still to buy):

1) Library
    2) Post Office
    3) Fine dining restaurant (but please, not an italian restaurant, lego already made plenty of pizzeria's
    4) Doctor's office and a small book store (2 small one's instead of one big theme)
    5) Town hall (though I fear, just like tho movie theatre, we won't get it anytime soon, since there was one in the town plan)
  • jonboy2000jonboy2000 Member Posts: 256
    @bzcat I would have to disagree. None of the modulars are art deco style. The only art deco style building Lego have made is the cinema out of the new version of town plan.
    ^ You're right. This is Art Deco, and I guess the Grand Emporium has a touch of it, but CC, GG and PS are what the UK would call late Victorian or Edwardian, Classical in proportion and Gothic in detail - especially CC with its tower. Even the 1932 FB isn't really Deco... Would love to see a proper Deco modular though, and a cinema is the obvious choice...
    The Town plan cinema is actually very similar to a modular already, what's wrong with just getting that?!
    You're right, it is a good model, but it doesn't really fit the modular bill for me. Like most Town/City stuff, it's only suggestive or representative of the building in question, without the integrity of a modular. Yes, modulars aren't fully designed mini-buildings either, but they're much more coherent as scale models of the real thing than the Town Plan cinema.

I still want the set though!! Not least because I'd use it as the basis for a MOC which *was* more of a modular!! :-)
  • MaverickDengoMaverickDengo Member Posts: 25
    I would like to see a:

Police station.
    Barber shop.
    LEGO Store.
    Bank.
    Post office....

Oh and a:

Theater.
    Book store/library.
    Dentist.
    Hospital.
    Town Hall.
    And basically every other possible building out there.

There is just so many great buildings that can be made!