Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

The Simpsons LEGO

Comments

• jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    Last time this topic was new I brought up how the could turn the CMF line into all Simpsons characters. There are massive amounts of characters and variations they could go with. I have all of the Playmates Simpsons characters from years back and having all the Simpsons characters in Lego form would be awesome!
  • ThegoThego UKMember Posts: 259
    Why would TLG do Simpsons as CMFs? Makes no sense commercially when they can put the figures in sets.
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    Thego said:

Why would TLG do Simpsons as CMFs? Makes no sense commercially when they can put the figures in sets.

Yep. Same reason they wont do a Superhero CMF line, people will pay for the sets just to get the figures (guilty), so to throw that away is daft.

What I will say is, I wouldn't be surprised for them to make loads of promo figures for various things, there must be over a hundred recognisable characters that might not fit in regular sets. They could make a mint doing something like that alongside the sets.
  • cozycozy Member Posts: 142
    maybe a simpson's Battle pack? :p
    icey117
  • maquesmaques HungaryMember Posts: 96
    I can't take side on the Simpsons... I guess we will see how the sets will look (and feel).
    But there is "further reading" in this, looks like LEGO is shifting to "popular", licensed and/or mostly movie themes (no wonder, after Chima's "success"), but then won't this hurt the "regular" set's market? Also comes the question, what comes next? If I draw a line, I can certainly imagine South Park and Beavis and Butthead fit...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,577
    edited August 2013
    They shifted that way a long time ago. HP, SW, etc. Maybe an error with PoP.

I don't see how it hurts regular sets. If you don't like them, don't buy them. You can still buy your regular sets. I don't like the SpongeBob sets but they haven't harmed Lego sales.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734

On one hand, the idea of Simpsons lego does seem pretty unique and who knows, maybe it'll open up the possibility of family guy lego one day(both fox network shows and i really could see FG lego stuff).

maques said:

Also comes the question, what comes next? If I draw a line, I can certainly imagine South Park and Beavis and Butthead fit...

I'll admit the most recent episode of The Simpsons I've seen was probably from season eight or so. Unless the content of the show has drastically changed since then, Family Guy and South Park are on a completely different level than The Simpsons.
  • OjikOjik Member Posts: 53
    I really can't understand all the hate toward this great news. Yes, The Simpsons may treat some adult themes/jokes/scenes/storylines time by time, and yes, it's quite an adult show, but only if you compare it to other cartoons. As a standalone TV show piece, it's tame. And if you look at others LEGO licenses, I really see no problem. LOTR are basically movies about big medieval conflict, HP has been a franchise for teens since The Goblet of Fire (I remember how I had been scared when Cedric died, and then came next books and there are dozens of character deaths in each of them), and Star Wars is quite adult, too. Personally, as a huge Simpsons fan I'm so looking forward to this and see it as another great move by TLC. After Super Heroes, TMNT, and BTTF, this is another legendary brand and it has a lot of potential.

Another topic: minifigures. I really, really can't understand how people may think they would do something as lousy as taking standard minifig head and putting Darth Maul spikes onto it and call it Bart. People often underestimate when rumours about a new theme start. It's the same with every single line of CMF. The recent case I recall: Constable's helmet in Series 11. A lot of people though they would give him a pith helmet in black. I knew he was going to use a new mould. And others should have learned it over ten past series. So, why I'm saying this: I'm sure the figs will have moulded heads, each character its own, and regular minifig body. If we ever get to see secondary characters that might use already existing part (e. g. Sea Captain - captain hat), I think they will mould a head with a stud on it.

Sorry for a long post, but I haven't put my two cents in yet since the confirmation.
    icey117
  • pillpodpillpod Member Posts: 273
    I'm not even a Simpsons fan; I've probably watched less than 5 episodes in my life. But I'm still looking forward to these sets, and mainly the minifigures.
  • legomasonlegomason Member Posts: 190
    Will they have short sleeves I wonder?
    tedward
  • just2goodjust2good Member Posts: 247
    legomason said:

It would be nice but not the most necessary thing. In my opinion, what is necessary and what I think we'll get it one whole head/hair piece for Bart that looks like a minifigure head with no space between his face and hairpiece, as it's one whole piece, maybe like Kranxx from SP3. The only downside to this is that it wont allow you to put helmet pieces on him. This can be solved with maybe a regular head piece Bart in a skating set with a helmet piece, but I doubt they'd do that.

My first thought is perfect and seems likely.... But Lisa/Maggie is gonna be hard for their hairpieces. I imagine Maggie to have a Mermaid/Squid King like legs (funny coincidence to the Tree House of Horror segments, but that's not what I meant) that slope like she's in the blanket, with a regular torso.
  • 09090900909090 Member Posts: 47
    I have a mixed feelings about the Simpsons. While the show is quite popular among teenagers and adults (though nowhere near as popular as it used to be) I can't see LEGO Simpsons sets being "more advanced" sets like other sets which are usually oriented more towards older audience. I have a feeling that The Simpsons will be something like Spongebob, there won't be many sets just a few of them and they would be certainly geared on younger audience while the show isn't something which I consider as a good show for younger kids. I watched pretty much every episode of The Simpsons except 2 last series and while I think that the show was (not sure about current episodes) decent, I don't think the same about LEGO sets. I can't see myself getting any of these sets as I'm not interested in The Simpsons in LEGO form. Although I might pickup Homer minifigure depending on how well they will be done, just to expand my collection. But that's it.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,240
    Crossing my fingers that it leads to Futurama sets! Lego Zoidberg FTW!
    andhebassbisonjasorcardgenius
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,284
    edited August 2013
    I'm noticing a worsening trend in LEGO's licensing timing:
    Pirates of the Caribbean LEGO = 4 years too late from a peak in popularity around the 2nd and 3rd films (that weren't nearly as good as the first)

Lord of the Rings LEGO = 10 years too late from the movie trilogy

Simpsons LEGO = ~14+ years too late, show had a marked decline with Scully
    andhebinaryeyesidersddHarryPotterLover
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 503
    edited August 2013
    ^ On the possitive side - being behind give them a chance of making decent sets. The times they have been up-front there's been quite a mismatch between sets and movies. (Lone Ranger and Hobbit mismatched. Pirates of the Caribean and Lord of the Rings match pretty well.)
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    ^^ I guess the problem with trying to release sets at the peak of popularity requires a bit of prediction of success given long lead times to develop sets - then you end up with The Lone Ranger.
    ^ Agree! We cannot blame LEGO for not trying. They have tried a few now that didn't catch on.

It might be though they don't catch the wave in time, they might end up selling better with an 'elder' wave than trying to catch new.
  • ptericpteric Member Posts: 156
    Thego said:

There are literally hundreds of Simpson characters, take 16 that aren't in any sets and package them in unsearchable tiny boxes (not bags), throw in a rare (limited to 5000)character and you have a winner. Your not only selling to Lego fans, but Simpson fans would spend tons of money collecting all characters.
    Ojik said:

I really can't understand all the hate toward this great news. Yes, The Simpsons may treat some adult themes/jokes/scenes/storylines time by time, and yes, it's quite an adult show, but only if you compare it to other cartoons. As a standalone TV show piece, it's tame.

Even then, it is only "adult" if you compare it to cartoons aimed specifically at kids with little in there for adults. If you compare it to other "adult" cartoons, Family Guy, American Dad, South Park, Beavis and Butthead, etc it is nothing. Similarly, if you compare it to "real life" (non-cartoon) programmes aimed at teens, it is also fairly mild.

I have no problem with them making it.
    andhe
    edited August 2013
    legomason said:

My thoughts exactly. I think it is necessary for the characters.
    just2good said:

I imagine Maggie to have a Mermaid/Squid King like legs (funny coincidence to the Tree House of Horror segments, but that's not what I meant) that slope like she's in the blanket, with a regular torso.

I'm sure Maggie will be a single mould with a stud hole in the bottom to make her sit or being held by another minifig. Anything other would look very odd. Thanks to the yellow skin color, she would make a regular baby for MOCs.
    CCC said:

Even then, it is only "adult" if you compare it to cartoons aimed specifically at kids with little in there for adults. If you compare it to other "adult" cartoons, Family Guy, American Dad, South Park, Beavis and Butthead, etc it is nothing. Similarly, if you compare it to "real life" (non-cartoon) programmes aimed at teens, it is also fairly mild.

Exactly. Also, The Simpsons are "adult" in themes and such, while the shows you mentioned in sense of swearing and crude humour (which I don't like and don't find it neither funny nor worth watching).

• tedwardtedward CanadaMember Posts: 163
    just2good said:

In my opinion, what is necessary and what I think we'll get it one whole head/hair piece for Bart that looks like a minifigure head with no space between his face and hairpiece, as it's one whole piece, maybe like Kranxx from SP3. The only downside to this is that it wont allow you to put helmet pieces on him.

I would love to see a hair piece similar to the grandpa hair from the CMF. That way you could have Bart's spiky hair or Homer's comb-over and remove them to allow for regular caps and hats.
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    graphite said:

Crossing my fingers that it leads to Futurama sets! Lego Zoidberg FTW!

Only thing is would lego do a licensed theme with a show hitting it's series finale soon? Futurama is awesome but the problem is that the finale is next month.

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,240
    ^ probably not but one can hope.
    edited August 2013
    Small comment and nothing surprising but according to Danish news LEGO make a small release of this theme - but they are ready to turn up the production if this sells beyond expectations.
    http://m.epn.dk/brancher/mode/leg/ECE5785741/gul-kult-familie-pa-vej-til-lego/

So.. It seems LEGO is a aware of the fact that this theme slightly mismatch their core-audience and have moderated their expectations despite their hopes.
    Set rumor list! THESE SOUND FANTASTIC! They might be just2good to be true :(
    reddit.com/r/lego/comments/1k5q3r/simpsons_set_list_2014/

-Bart's Skate Trick about £10 incl. Bart, Milhouse
    -Homer at the Control Panel about £20 incl. Homer, Berns, Smithers
    -Lisa's Sax Preformance about £30 Lisa, Marge, the two twins from the opening
    -Springfield Shops about £50 Bart, cashier at Krusty Burger, Krusty, Apu, Nelson
    -Simpson's House about £70 Bart, Homer, Marge, Lisa, Maggie, Grandpa, Flanders, the dog
    kezHarryPotterLoverPoochy
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,264
    ^ Those sound excellent to me. I am surprised that the school bus might not make an appearance as it seems like an obvious choice, but if that is indeed the first wave (it seems plausible) then I am delighted with it.

However, the Springfield shops sound as though they might just be the fronts which is a shame. The Squeaky-voiced Teen and Krusty will obviously be for Krusty Burger, while Apu and Nelson are presumably for the Kwik-E-Mart. I would have hoped for individual models for those two locations at between £30 and $40. Nevertheless, we will have to wait and see what happens.
    just2good

^ Those sound excellent to me. I am surprised that the school bus might not make an appearance as it seems like an obvious choice, but if that is indeed the first wave (it seems plausible) then I am delighted with it.

However, the Springfield shops sound as though they might just be the fronts which is a shame. The Squeaky-voiced Teen and Krusty will obviously be for Krusty Burger, while Apu and Nelson are presumably for the Kwik-E-Mart. I would have hoped for individual models for those two locations at between £30 and $40. Nevertheless, we will have to wait and see what happens.

A little strange that they threw Bart in the set, but I'm not complaining. It would be cool to get variation on Bart's face or torso with a Burger stain or something.

Sounds great. A little scene with skateboarding Bart and Homer at the control pannel in the power plant were exactly my expectations. I'm a little surprised Milhouse should show up and much more about the presence of Smithers, Sherri & Terri, Nelson and Squeeky-voiced Teen. Really hope Kwik-E-Mart and Krusty Burger won't be only the fronts.
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 348
    Those sets sound great. I'm going to have to open a new credit card under the name Santos L. Halper so I can get them all.

Bart being in most of the sets is not surprising. I'm surprised they didn't try to get him in all of the sets although these are just rumors so he may end up being in all of them like The Lone Ranger. I could see LEGO adding some flick-fires to Lisa's Sax Perfomance so that Bart could cause a little mischief there.

Apu - first minifigure of Indian descent?
  • TheMurmurTheMurmur Member Posts: 90
    I'm a little surprised they would release a set with the whole family in the first wave if they want people to buy them all, and future waves as well.
    TheMurmur said:

I'm a little surprised they would release a set with the whole family in the first wave if they want people to buy them all, and future waves as well.

Yeah, that part seems a little... Odd. I thought they would pull a Turtle Lair Attack. Maggie only comes in that set from what he said.

• ThegoThego UKMember Posts: 259
    I think I'll take that list with a pinch of salt.
    Those sets would be based on just the theme song animation.
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,621
    edited August 2013
    http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=7328

Springfield Shops looks like it has Krusty Burger and Kwik-E_Mart similar to #79109 Colby City Showdown and it looks like we won't be getting a full Simpsons house rather it being similar to #3315 Olivia’s House with an open back

I would prefer a Monorail, Moe's Tavern, Lard Lad Donuts and Springfield Elementary School with the school bus.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,720
    legomason said:

Those sets would be based on just the theme song animation.

That's what I thought, but then wouldn't Marge and Maggie be in the Kwik-e-mart set rather than Bart?

Seeing as there is a Saxophone in series 11 of the CMFs, I guess we can pretty much guarantee Lisa will appear with her Sax in some scenario.

No vehicles though?
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited August 2013
    ^^ never going to happen, unlikely to happen, might happen but not exactly priority I guess, unlikely to happen as a sizeable set - more likely a class room scene with lines on blackboard? School bus would seem a good vehicle set.
  • tedwardtedward CanadaMember Posts: 163

However, the Springfield shops sound as though they might just be the fronts which is a shame.

Actually it is brilliant if you think about it for a minute.

Licensed sets are usually more expensive per piece because there is a license fee involved. If they built a modular-style building you would be paying that extra percentage on a bunch of regular brick.

If they do "just" the fronts we get all we need (printed elements, key figs, special parts) and can "fill in" the rest with cheaper bricks if we want to make a complete building.
    cheshirecat
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,264
    ^ That is true. A complete shop in the first place would be nice, but failing that I am glad to have them at affordable prices. I would still have paid £50 each for a decent Krusty Burger and Kwik-E-Mart however.
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 657
    Meh. Let me know when the futurama sets come out.
    Adzbadboy
    I can see this thing getting as big as Star Wars with multiple versions of the same set in the future. There is so much to work off of: A whole 'nother Haunted House. The Flanders' House. Cletus' house. Nelson's house. Grandpa Simpson's Retirement Castle. Just look at all of these possibiliites: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_(The_Simpsons)
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    Id be very happy with that for a first wave, I said they would do a Homer at his desk set. I'll probably buy all those, really excited to see what they look like.

A Krusty fig sounds brilliant.
  • Lego2012Lego2012 Member Posts: 60
    Excited, no, but definitely intrigued...
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    edited August 2013
    I would like to see the burlesque house from the "Bart After Dark" episode...

text

CapnRex101HokieJoe99
    Snake and his car Lil' Bandit would be an awesome set as well...

text
    text
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    Not sure if its been mentioned yet but id love a Kang & Kodos UFO set :)

tedward

Not sure if its been mentioned yet but id love a Kang & Kodos UFO set :)

That would be another awesome set... This could go on forever...

What about a set based on the episode where Bart, Nelson, Milhouse and Martin go on a road trip to the 1982 World's Fair complete with Sunsphere.
  • ptericpteric Member Posts: 156
    I want "Mr Plow"
    tedward
    I was hoping for a Bartman...
    AdzbadboyHarryPotterLover
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 818
    I can honestly imagine plenty of stickers in the Krusty burger and Kwik e Mart set, such as the Elb Barto graffiti on the side of the kwike e mart, Kwik e mart sign, Krusty burger sign/ menu etc. I can't wait to see the final outcomes of these sets and I reckon that pictures will most likely start to emerge from NYCC or leaked ones from the retailers catalogue. :-D