Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

The Simpsons LEGO

Comments

• legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 436
    Well, I wouldn't want my kids, at least before 12 or so, to watch the Simpsons. It would bring out reality, but the kind of reality I don't want a kid to worry about.

Lisa can be as good as you want, but she is insulted and left with no friends in the show many times. So what will the kids want to do, follow Bart's model, the "cool" model or Lisa's model?

But since I don't want this discussion to end up being a cartoon violence one, I still think many parents won't like their kids to buy Simpsons, but many others will buy it and play with it themselves! Let see what the future brings, it is indeed interesting!
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    Anyone who bans their kids from watching it has never seen it, my son won't be watching South Park, Family Guy or American Dad for a good few years, but I have no issue with The Simpsons.
    tedward
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,777
    I wonder what they will do with sets since most current sets involve action of some kind, 'good vs evil' or vehicles etc. Where will the flick fire missiles and catapults go? I say that somewhat jokingly but I seriously wonder how they will make a lineup of sets that kids will want when they look at it on the shelf. I have difficulty imagining the average kid in the toy aisle gravitating towards a Simpsons set over the other choices Lego or otherwise.
    legoprods
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    I've no problems with the nature of the show, it's family stuff with bits kids and bits for adults.

But I can't see it looking good, the Simpsons are very rounded characters, I don't see that looking very good in blocky lego.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    I too enjoy the Simpsons but haven't regularly watched it for years. My only concern is that it won't do well and I hate to see themes/sets struggle. I love LotR and the Superheroes but you can't go an hour here without someone poopooing their popularity based on anecdotal evidence.
  • LeonCLeonC United KingdomMember Posts: 364

I wonder what they will do with sets since most current sets involve action of some kind, 'good vs evil' or vehicles etc. Where will the flick fire missiles and catapults go? I say that somewhat jokingly but I seriously wonder how they will make a lineup of sets that kids will want when they look at it on the shelf. I have difficulty imagining the average kid in the toy aisle gravitating towards a Simpsons set over the other choices Lego or otherwise.

Won't it be just like old city sets - bright coloured vehicles and yellow-headed figs? Just with less fire and police hopefully (although chief wiggum would be good)
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    ^Though they've done it with other themes, it seems a bit daft to pay money to license a theme that will essentially be 'brightly colored' City... especially when Friends more or less already does that.
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 436
    I just can't think that this theme will be a success. Only if the purpose of it is bringing new AFOLs to Lego, maybe it could.
  • SpicySpicy Member Posts: 25
    I'm beginning to believe this will happen. Not that it supports it much, but the Squinkie (sp?) line of toys has a Simpsons set now, which I saw at TRU today. So I'm wondering if other companies are going to be releasing Simpsons toys as well. Maybe this is a fad a lot of companies are getting in on for some reason.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,731
    ^It's makes you wonder if the Simpsons brand realises it's on the wane (I don't know if that IS the case) and so is selling off it's license cheaper or cutting companies a deal to increase it's public awareness again.
    All conjecture.
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 818
    Alas, it has oficially been confirmed, I can't wait to pick these up
    http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=7270
  • danedane YorkshireMember Posts: 13
    Can't wait my teenage sons will love these
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,271
    I am absolutely delighted with the news. The potential Minifigures, the potential parts, the potential pastel colours, these sound amazing!
    It has been confirmed that lego will be making the Simpsons sets for next year
    http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=7270
    There must also be some images out there of the figures because according to this:
    "He has seen the figures as they appear in the 2014 catalog, and he says that "they are really well made."

Personally I look very forward to seeing the official images, just think of all of the new moulds that will be used for this theme
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,706
    Existing thread on The Simpsons here ... http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/170110
    edited August 2013
    Yes all of the new moulds, colours etc will be great, and I hope you don't mind but I have posted a discussion in the top collection thread as it has been officially confirmed and more people will see it up there if they don't check the homepage :-D
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,949
    I hope they use realistic skin colours.
    carlqrichlgifinimBeavjasorpeterlinddkHarryPotterLoverindigobox
    CCC said:

Existing thread on The Simpsons here ... http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/170110

I know, I just thought about posting a new one here as more people will see it if they don't check the brickset homepage and that topic has a lot of speculation etc as to whether lego would or not make this theme. :-D

• BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    kez said:

Yes all of the new moulds, colours etc will be great, and I hope you don't mind but I have posted a discussion in the top collection thread as it has been officially confirmed and more people will see it up there if they don't check the homepage :-D

Well they already have one of the colours, and have had for a long time ;)

I suppose the Simpsons is a no brainer considering how popular Minifigures are, such a huge resource to draw from with lots of well known characters. I'd hate to be a hard core collector as I imagine getting a complete Simpson minifigure collection could be expensive

• tom4086tom4086 Member Posts: 689
    I can just see the NYCC and SDCC Exclusives now...
    carlq
    It would be great if they could (under the license agreement) do a CMF style line. They could forget the builds completely. Pocket money prices, they'd sell like hot cakes.
    andhe
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    tom4086 said:

Oh god, they'll do Radioactive Man or a McBain one and I'll pay for it. I know I won't be able to resist it.

As a minifig collector, I'm very excited to see what these are like.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited August 2013
    @tom4086 and now its ruined..... :-(
    tom4086
  • SquareSideSquareSide Member Posts: 170
    Wow! LEGO wants my money... *insert Fry meme here*
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    CCC said:

It would be great if they could (under the license agreement) do a CMF style line. They could forget the builds completely. Pocket money prices, they'd sell like hot cakes.

Won't someone else own the minifigures rights? Isn't this why Lego SW sets can't just be some figures but need to have a model with it as well

^ I don't know. Depends on what agreement they make with Matt Groening / Gracie / Fox / whoever owns the brand these days.

It's obviously a different product to SW. I know there are a whole load of Simpsons toys already out, including some "collectible" characters, but it is quite different to the SW case where one manufacturer seems to have exclusive rights.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,519
    Beav said:

tom4086 said:

Oh god, they'll do Radioactive Man or a McBain one and I'll pay for it. I know I won't be able to resist it.

Surely the Comic Con exclusive would be Comic Book Guy? :-)

tom4086coachieBuriedinBrickscarlqbassbison
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,624
    Why Lego Simpsons is a great idea for a Lego theme:

-Unique/rare colours will be used (Simpsons house is mainly pink walls, similar to Lego Friends but this time is suitable for both genders)

-Collectors will be all out for the minifigures (Many character to choose from, less duplicates)

-A variety of sets can be made like Simpsons House, Monorail Line, Springfield Elementary School, Kwik-E-Mart, Krusty Burger, Lard Lad Donuts

-Lego has a licence with Fox...X-Men...

Why Lego Simpsons is a bad idea for a Lego theme:

-Is old by a decade and its not rarely talked about by young kids (You could say the same for other Lego themes)

-Some scenes in The Simpsons are not appropriate for young kids (Again Lego has similar licences)

Overall I think they would do very well as role play toys and for sets for collectors. Which makes The Simpsons appropriate for a wide audience. Great job Lego.

Maybe we could see Lego Ghostbusters or more Lego Back to the Future the way Lego is going they are getting popular licences from back in the days.

Beav said:

tom4086 said:

I hope not, in fact I hope there will only be early release exclusives like bilbo baggins as I reckon if it is him, he will get a fat piece like bombur, but then again most of the Simpsons characters should get fat pieces.

I for one am really really excited to see what the sets and especially the figures will look like, hopefully soon there might be some leaked pictures from the 2014 catalogue of the Simpsons figures :-D
    The head pieces for Bart and Lisa will be interesting - moulded one piece heads, or clip on spikes like Darth Maul and friends?
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,359
    I for one like Lego, and I like The Simpsons.

As for Lego Simpsons, I'm reserving my judgement until I actually see the end products that will hit the shelves. Only then could I say either "Worst. Theme. Ever!" or "I really like the look if it!"
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 862
    My guess is that the first wave features:

742 Evergreen Terrace with Marge and Maggie. This will be the $100-150 set. Possibly Homer or Bart as well.
    A playset from Springfield Elementary with Lisa and Skinner
    A smaller street "play scene" with Bart, Milhouse, and a skate board
    Homer's control room at the power plant with Homer, Burns, and Smithers (depending on size, maybe also Lenny and Carl).

They will, of course, scatter the family among multiple sets so that we buy all of them. :) I don't think we will see too many other characters in the first wave.

Second wave will have
    - Flanders' House
    - Police Station with Wiggum
    - Moe's Tavern (perhaps they'll replace with Uncle Moe's Family Feedbag to avoid the liquor references? ;) )
    - Church with Lovejoy
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    Too bad. I was hoping this was an April Fool's joke. I love Lego and I like The Simpsons but somehow, I'm not excited about them meeting. But I should really reserve judgment until I see the sets so here's hoping they are good.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,328
    I see one line with this theme, in which case what is the point? I'm sure it will do well but I think Simpsons has really run its course.. I'm sure the resellers will be more than happy to buy a ton of these sets when released though...
    Star Wars hasn't had much new in 10 years, yet still continues - popular as ever.

BTTF hasn't had anything new for decades, yet seems popular now.

The Simpsons is still current, so at least there is a current tie-in. We get enough repeats that at least the good stuff is on TV!

If all the main characters come in small sets, then I might get them. I wouldn't pay large sums for sets in this range though.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,948
    Gah. I am sure plenty would disagree with me, but blah.

I think what frustrates me is yet another theme my kids will have no interest in. There is so little out that my 6 year old or my girls like right now. It is at the point that my 6 year old is coming up with modulars for his list because the themes he likes are minimal.

I am glad for those that were hoping this rumor was true, but blah for our family.
    y2josh
  • coachiecoachie South WalesMember Posts: 476
    Beav said:

Beav said:

tom4086 said:

Worst. Exclusive. Ever.
    Moreso, the halloween special edition of him where he played the villain The Collector (?), capturing the celebrities and keeping them MISB.

Oh, the irony of a bunch of fat blokes queuing and jostling for a model of a fat bloke. I include myself in the above. Just at the front of the queue.
    flowerpotgirl
    I think spongebob is a good reference for two reasons -

1 LEGO do these kind of characters really well. The minifigures will be brilliant.

2 I suspect the sets will be relatively small like spongebob. Can't see one coming close to the 100$-150$ range. I suspect the highest to be about 75$, with most much smaller.

I'm not sure we'll see a Simpsons house, perhaps just the tv/sofa scene? I do think we'll get a Kwik-E-Mart facade, barts treehouse perhaps? The simpsons car? Its LEGO, they'll need a vehicle of some sort.
    binaryeye
    Here's my guesses for some possible sets:

-Evergreen terrace, £40-£50, might include the Simpson family excluding abe, but it could have the animals

-Nuclear power plant, £70-£80, might include Mr burns, Smithers, Homer, and 2 hazmat workers

-The Kwik e Mart, £20-£30, might include Apu, frozen pensioner (I think he's called jasper), Bart, squishe girl and Milhouse

-Moes tavern, £30-£40, might include Lenny, Carl, Moe, Homer, Duff man and Barney (Im not sure this could be done because of the alcohol reference, but then again the target audience is slightly different)

-Police station, £35, might include Chief wiggum, his 2 other officer companions and snake with his sports car

-Springfield Elementary, £60, might include Principal skinner, Miss crabapple, Lisa, Lunch lady, School bullies (Jimbo & kerney) and Martin

-Willies shack, £12.99, might include Groundskeeper willy and Bart

-Comic book store, £25, Might include Comic book guy, Milhouse and Bart

-Movie shoot, £15, might include radioactive man (Reineir Wolfcastle), fallout boy and a director, with functions such as exploding barrels etc

-Springfield church, £35, might include the Reverend, Ned Flanders, Flanders kids x2, marge and maggie in church outfit (Im not sure if this could be done because if I remember rightly lego won't do much with religious references although itd be good)

-Springfield observatory, £20, might include Professor Frink, Lisa and Nelson

-Krusty burger, £25, might include Krusty the clown, cashier, sideshow mel, monkey and a customer

-Ottos bus, £35, might include otto, and school children x3

-Mobster showdown, £40, 2 cars and some obstacles, might include Fat tony, 2 of his cronies and Chief wiggum with a K-9

-Donut place, £30, might include giant donut boy mould figure holding a giant donut (like the troll in LOTR), cashier and a customer

-Flanders house, £40, might include Ned, his 2 children and maude

-Springfield cemetery, £20, might include Graveskeeper willie, frightened Lisa and maybe a skeleton

-Burns manor, £45, includes Mr burns, Smithers, security guard, burglar x2 and a release the hounds feature x4 dogs

There are still many more possibilities for Simpsons sets, but that is my 2 cents worth :-D (sorry for the super long list)

• binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    I hope LEGO realizes their primary market for this theme is more likely to be adults rather than children. If the range of sets is the typical small to large, from ~$10 to ~$80, they may well lose out on a lot of impulse sales to those who don't normally buy LEGO. I think the theme would be better treated as collectables or display pieces, for example 5-7 small vignettes with one or two minifigures, priced at $10-$15.
    binaryeye said:

I hope LEGO realizes their primary market for this theme is more likely to be adults rather than children. If the range of sets is the typical small to large, from ~$10 to ~$80, they may well lose out on a lot of impulse sales to those who don't normally buy LEGO. I think the theme would be better treated as collectables or display pieces, for example 5-7 small vignettes with one or two minifigures, priced at $10-$15.

"The target audience for The Simpsons are teenagers and adults, but there are also many children who know them, says product manager at Top Toy, Carsten Nielsen. He has seen the figures as they appear in the 2014 catalog, and he says that "they are really well made."
    :-D
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    How can you have Simpson's w/o Moe's Bar? If TLG makes Moe's....will they all have coffee mugs?
    ^ easily, dit it appear in the Simpson's movie? I dont remember it, but can't be sure. I suspect there wont be one. Not mentioning duff might be harder, but then they had rum bottles in PotC sets didnt they.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,731
    I'm going to hazard a guess that we'll see about 3 or 4 sets spanning the $11, $20, $35 price points, featuring mainly the Simpsons themselves, in various combinations spread over the sets. I wouldn't expect to see a set hitting over $50 released straight off the bat or secondary characters beyond Millhouse, Mr.Burns, Grandpa. I still think the theme is a bit of a gamble beyond the novelty/nostalgia.

It's interesting to start thinking what parts might have been put in place in already, eg the series 10 'bald cap' (Mr Burns, and Homer) and the series 9 Cop hat (Wiggum?).
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    Blah.. On par with TMNT.
    FollowsClosely
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    Adzbadboy said:

-Lego has a licence with Fox...X-Men...

X-Men is a Disney/Marvel license, not Fox. Fox just distributes the movies.

but then they had rum bottles in PotC sets didnt they.

Weren't they just black ship bottles, like the grape juice (rather than wine) bottle that the CMF waiter has?
  • RomanticWarriorRomanticWarrior United StatesMember Posts: 248
    I'm thinking they will have about 5-6 sets from $13-$50 (US) similar to TMNT I suppose. Spread around the five family members so you have to buy all or nearly all of the sets to assemble the whole family.
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 348
    Anybody want to speculate whether the minifigures will be yellow or not since this is a licensed theme?