Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Simpsons LEGO

Comments

• jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    @CapnRex101 @cheshirecat --

@Poochy, It was nothing fancy, was looking for a sub $30 set to have on your desk.

My singular hiccup with that is this: They have nixed this SAME theme from CUUSOO for inappropriate content. So....what changed?
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    Same here in the "not quite clicking" for me.

Saying that, I'd be lying if I didn't want some of the minifigs they'd produce.

I'll pay all the money for a Ranier Wolfcastle as Radioactive Man and Millhouse as Fall Out Boy.

UP AND AT THEM!
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,952
    This seems bizarre to me. It is quite late. I do not know of kids today who know the Simpsons, at least in the younger age bracket. I can say my three here would have no interest.

There are sooo many other better licenses that kids would recognize.

• tom4086tom4086 Member Posts: 689
    edited March 2013
    Just seems lazy to me. Lego are constantly looking for ways of creating more and more profit, as any successful company would.

They've realised that minifigures are where the money is at.
    They've realised that you need a theme that's got a guaranteed market behind it.
    They've realised they don't need to spend hours and hours thinking up new sets when there's a huge town just waiting to be built.

The Simpsons ticks all these boxes. Easy sets, lots of minifigures, lots of fans. I just don't know why its taken them so long to notice.
    Adzbadboy
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    While this is pretty cool, I am in the majority when I say I haven't watched the show in years, and am not very interested in any Lego sets.

However, if they did Family Guy sets, I would be all over it. Immediately, upon sight. lol.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    The Simpsons still has a strong following. In fact, compared to LOTR, I think you'll find it has a much stronger toy market presence than you'd believe.
  • LukeSkywalkerLukeSkywalker IrelandMember Posts: 231
    edited March 2013
    I can't wait for this to happen. :) There is so much potential for sets, settings and vehicles, not to mention a world of colourful characters to draw [;)] from. And the creativity it will inspire in building will surely make the quality of the current episodes irrelevant, as the play possibilities will be endless and help create a brand new dimension of entertainment for the franchise.

I really really hope this licence happens. I'm sure LEGO will do an excellent job in designing the sets and accompanying minifigures, and I predict it to be a huge success. Bring it on!! :)
    DiggydoesBrickDancer
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    This is an even more odd choice than Back to the Future. An old franchise that may have content inappropriate for Lego's target audience of children.

I'm not big on figs or vehicles so I'd only be interested in this if there are some good buildings, not playsets like they did for the turtles.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    edited March 2013
    I'm torn. Part of me sees the connection. It's a long, long running cartoon series. Some may even call it epic. Everyone knows Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, Maggie, and the long list of characters. Cartoon characters to LEGO minifigs is a natural progression. Spongebob, Ninja Turtles, Ninjago, Bionicles. The list goes on and on.

As many have posted I watched the show fairly regularly when it first came out, but haven't watched an episode in probably over a decade. Maybe I tired of it, out grew it, or the crudeness and offensive nature of it wore thin. (I can't speak to what the show is like today.) Which is the other side of the coin. Yes, it's a successful cartoon and will probably be a somewhat popular LEGO theme. But, so would military sets and maybe even a South Park theme. LEGO and the Simpsons seem like oil and water to me. Yeah, they have commonality, both are liquids, but they different enough to not mix together well.

But, then again, as others have stated... it isn't much of a stretch considering they have a LOTR theme. Lots of violence. Me thinks LEGO is on a slippery slope. And, don't get me wrong. I'm a big LOTR fan and have all the sets, but the irony is obvious.
  • Jonn420Jonn420 Member Posts: 267
    I smell an april fools comming, however, id buy the livingroom w/family... Not going to buy 5 sets to have the whole famy
  • JasenJasen Member Posts: 283

Would be interesting, my Simpsons submission last month on Cuusso came back with: "Inappropriate Content - Your project doesn't meet our content standards"</blockquote

Probably because they intend to make it themselves....

• y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    ^Still seems a poor idea to specifically mention they can't make the product because it's inappropriate for children. A more generic response in line to the one they gave about not being able to produce the western modulars would have saved them some face (presuming this goes through).
  • thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    This is weird. Awful idea. Count me out.
  • HarryPotterLoverHarryPotterLover Member Posts: 238
    As long as no such jokes are shown in the set somehow....it may be interesting to experiment to see how it looks?
  • nickaquos24nickaquos24 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2013
    I'm not exactly trying to defend the content, but the Simpsons has definately toned it down (that may have something to do with the popular opinion that it lost its edge), and somehow the content in the Simpsons is actually mild compared to what most kids i know are watching today. I'm no parent, but personally I'd rather have my kid watch the Simpsons than shows like south park, jersey shore (yay it's cancelled), honey booboo, and 16 and Pregnant that are all the rage among the "cool kids" these days.
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    Got to agree with some people, if they can do Indiana Jones what is the issue with the Simposns. Never seen anyone have their heart ripped out and then lowered into a fire pit in an episode of The Simpsons.

My worry is that I can't see it being done well, we might get a house but what else? They're not going to give us a minifig sized school or power plant.I'm guessing it will be mostly minifigure heavy
    cheshirecat
  • leego76leego76 Chandlers FordMember Posts: 360
    Actually Bart did get his heart ripped out in 'New Kid on the Block' by Laura his babysitter! Great episode!

I just don't see all the negativity around The Simpsons. A lot of people on the homepage saying 'I have never watched The Simpsons but it is too vulgar, blah, blah, blah'. Nothing like a well-researched standpoint. And this is nothing like a well-researched standpoint..
    HarryPotterLoverJasenalzamba
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411

I'm not exactly trying to defend the content, but the Simpsons has definately toned it down (that may have something to do with the popular opinion that it lost its edge), and somehow the content in the Simpsons is actually mild compared to what most kids i know are watching today. I'm no parent, but personally I'd rather have my kid watch the Simpsons than shows like south park, jersey shore (yay it's cancelled), honey booboo, and 16 and Pregnant that are all the rage among the "cool kids" these days.

There have been few episodes very near the knuckle in the newer seasons

If it's not too expensive I will get it.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,934
    I don't really see the problem with content either. As stated in other threads on appropriateness, it is more about parents' perception of what is appropriate, rather than what is in the show.

I also think it is a good seller. Look in any toy store, you will see Simpsons toys. They sell well. Not as well as they did in the early 1990s, not as well as the earlier 2000s, but they still sell. One of my kids always gets a Simpsons comic book from the library every couple of weeks. I'm not a fan of him reading just comic books, but so long as he reads two normal books for every one comic book, we let him. We sometimes have to reserve them, as they are so popular.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    near the knuckle isn't exactly awful though.

Indy ToD - Heart being ripped out
    Indy Crystal Skull - Being eaten alive by ants and dragged underground
    SWII and III - going nuts and killing a bunch of sand people, your mum being held captive against her will and whatever it was they were doing to her which made her die and then being burnt half to death loosing both your legs and being turned into a half man/half robot evil slayer of the world.
    LotR - lots of general violence (tbh tldw after the first one)

The film classifications of the dvd's are probably a good measure to go from.

In the UK at least, SWIII is 12, the others PG. The clone wars film also gets a 12 although the cartoons are PG. LotR, one PG and two 12's. Indiana Jones, 3 PGs and a 12 although if ToD was released now it would surely be a 12 - it is also widely regarded as being a big driver for the creation of the PG-13 classification in the US. The hobbit 12.

The simpsons dvds - almost an equal spread of PG and 12. If anything a cursory look at amazon suggests more PG than 12.

It clearly is no less appropriate than many of the licenses LEGO partner with.

True, but I mean the seasons in the last 4-7 years, which are not on dvd, I think there was one episode which kept useing the word bo***** several times. If then, 12 films are okay then why not Terminator 3 or Salvation?
    bo*****?

boogers?
    SherlockbonesBeavjasorAdzbadboy
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    I will not let my 6 year old watch Simpsons yet, so would rather steer clear of the sets for him as it will encourage him to want to watch it.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    I'm not sure you can generalise the entire show. Some episode's will be suitable for younger children, others not so much. Even episodes with gags that are considered "near the knuckle" its likely that kid's won't get it.

I used to love the original Auf Wiederesehen Pet. I was around seven when it first aired. My Dad would watch and record the episodes. Some I was allowed to watch. Others I wasn't. Bits of "bad" language but I heard far more and far worse at football.
    ^ Nor do I with my 6 year old. Equally I don't let him watch Indiana Jones, LotR or SWeIII. I aslo try to disuade his from watching Ben10 and PowerRangers - more because they're just rubbish. Horrible Histories is his favourite, so thats just fine with me.
    CCC said:

bo*****?

boogers?

I think the word sounds like Frolics
    edited March 2013
    surely more of an ucks sound than an icks sound. So more like Bullocks.

More importantly its been ruled in court that the word that sounds like Bullocks isn't even an obscenity thanks to the 1977 punk rock album "Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols".
    SirKevbags

CCC said:

bo*****?

boogers?

I think the word sounds like Frolics
    From the number of asterisks, it would have been just one ball.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,175
    If the negotiations are done soon, I can see the Simpsons taking off at Comic Con...
  • 111ins111ins Member Posts: 265
    I just told my 10 yr old that they were going to make "The Simpsons" LEGO and he just looked at me and said "whyyyy?"
    :)
  • pvp3020pvp3020 Member Posts: 94

^ I completely second the above comment, if the Simpsons is unsuitable then so is half of what Lego is producing from licensed themes now.

Agreed. The Clone Wars has become very dark in places and quite violent for a kid's show.

Personally I'd prefer a Futurama theme, but I'll concede it's nowhere near as popular as the Simpsons, and arguably has far more inappropriate content.

• korkor Member Posts: 392
    I enjoy the Simpson but I'm not sure how well it will translate to the LEGO world. Guess we'll see.....
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    CCC said:

From the number of asterisks, it would have been just one ball.

Well if that is the word, in America it has no meaning alongside w******, which the Simpsons have used in jest at the British,, its hardly a barage of swearing and when on C4 such bits are cut out.

I think people need to decide what they want from lego, some here seem to be taking "I hate the simpsons" and trying to translate it into why its a bad fit for lego. People like the simpsons, I love it (or used to, it isn;t as good but still watchable)and it'll do well.

Do people really want either no licenced sets or those based on TV shows for babies like Small potatoes?

Look at the ages on boxes, who is lego aimed at? I'd say in reality its aimed at the 6 - 12 year old market, sort of people who love the simpsons

edited March 2013
    potatoes small potatoes small potatoes small potatoes potatoes small potatoes small potatoes small potatoes potatoes on the moon, potatoes small potatoes small potatoes small potatoes potatoes small potatoes small potatoes small potatoes potatoes in the sea, small potatoes small potatoes small potatoes potatoes sing with me.....

for all that is holy why did you have to mention small potatoes.

http://www.televisiontunes.com/Small_Potatoes_Theme_Song.html
  • bishbrickbishbrick Member Posts: 9

Yawn...

So many better opportunities.

Yep... whole-heartedly agree with you. For me it's almost like the two things (LEGO+Simpsons) don't quite go together. I imagine the sets will resemble something like the Spongebob ones which were very "un-LEGO" like indeed.

*steps up on soap box

I dont mind the Simpsons....I just dont think it'll be very good, doesnt fit in between Galaxy Squad and Chima, and Lego has reportedly shot down Simpson themes due to "inappropriate content."

My question is, and shall remain...."what has changed?" If this license steps into the door, does that mean other themes LEGO previously deemed "innappropriate" will be less likely refused?

*steps down from soap box, trips, and then pops back up like no one saw.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited March 2013
    The Simpsons was funny the first time I watched it (way back in the late 80s/early 90s), but it got old fast. There is no way I would ever let my kids watch it (unless I wanted to train them to be crude and disrespectful to their parents and others). They don't know who the Simpsons are, and in my mind are probably better off for it.

In short, TLG won't get a dime from me for Simpsons products.
    edited March 2013
    No doubt they will do market research before getting a license. Lego will know how well they will sell before they decide to go for it. For every one person that refuses to buy them, there will be others that will buy them.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,952
    I am going to hope that the actual negotiations are for other Fox content, and not Simpsons.

The 2nd Percy Jackson movie comes out in August, and with the focus on Greek minifigs, perhaps I could hope for that line instead...with a mix of female/male/monster/god characters. I think Lego could do it better without a license, but I could also guarantee with the license I would end up buying every set, since my kids would want anything Percy Jackson.... Many kids I know that bought HP would jump at Percy.

jasor
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited March 2013
    While they are doing Disney licensed sets, it would be interesting to have a Phineas and Ferb theme. Although it might only be out for a year, those are sets my kids (and I) would definitely purchase. Lego could have a field day with all Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz's ____-inators!
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    edited March 2013
    Minions. I want LEGO Minions. Lots of 'em... Tall ones, short ones, two-eyed ones, one-eyed ones, bald ones, skinny ones, fat ones, mad ones, sad ones, silly ones. Lots of silly ones. A Despicable Me 2 LEGO theme would be neat.
    http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/21584#
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    When a Billion dollar franchise is involved, is anyone surprised that Lego would let some things slide?
    I was watching Youtube's BrickQueen and she also mentioned what @jasor mentioned- if they have this, then what other kind of stuff like this could be around the corner?
    ^^ I'll have to peep that out
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    tamamahm said:

I am going to hope that the actual negotiations are for other Fox content, and not Simpsons.

Other FOX content would also open the door to sets based off the X-Men films, even though I'd prefer they stick to the comics. Plenty of female minifig opportunities there, either way.
    tamamahm
    @jasor

It may not look so great, but if you see her other reviews I find her very intuitive on these set reviews
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 436
    Bringing back this old thread, I actually think if they make it, it's going to be a failure for Lego.

Isn't the toy mostly bought by kids? My parents, back when I was a kiddo, never let me watch the Simpsons. It is supposed to be an adults cartoon show.

Sadly, many parents nowadays relate cartoons to kids, and maybe let their kids watch Simpsons, American Dad, Family Guy... Fortunately, at least shows like the Simpsons have understood this new trend and don't make their episodes as near as strong as they were back then.

But still, if they are thinking at aiming this at kids, they *should* fail, but who knows what this society may bring?

Other way around, it could be a trick to get older teenagers and adults into Lego, they might take a loss on making a few Simpsons sets, but they will compensate with getting a new wave of AFOLs thanks to this! Never looked at it before this way... who knows.
    ^ I just think this idea that the simpsons is 'supposed to be an adults cartoon' is wrong. From its very beginnings it was a cartoon for all the family that adults could also enjoy but very much not an adults cartoon. From the moment it span out of the Tracey Ullman Show its was aired at 8pm on a sunday and then briefly thursday in the US. In the UK it aired at about 5:30 if i remember rightly (I didn't have sky but remember seeing it lots at a friends house) and was very much a cartoon aimed at children around the age of 10/11.
    legoprods said:

It is supposed to be an adults cartoon show.

No it is not. It is aimed at family audiences, with jokes simple enough that kids will enjoy but keeping enough interest for adults too. So no different to many other (non-animated) sitcoms aimed at family viewing.

I'm sure people ban their kids from watching as they don't want them behaving like Bart, but then no doubt these are the people that would have banned their kids from reading the Beano too, with that naughty Dennis the Menace. Or watching older stuff with lots of violence like Tom and Jerry or more modern programmes like Ben 10.
  • plantmanplantman Member Posts: 97
    The Simpsons seem to have a good adult collector fan base world-wide. I remember seeing a documentary about this on Netflix. I agree with legoprods on this - it could bring more AFOLs into the fold. I for one would buy anything they make. I bought an entrie Hawthorne Simpsons christmas village set with the figures (30 buildings and a ton of people) - would love to switch it out with LEGO! The kids in my family absolutely love seeing it at christmas.

As for the adult nature of Simpsons - the shows deals with themes and situations that usually end with some kind of lesson or moral that I think is positive for kids. I think Lisa is the most positive female child role-model young girls are ever likely to see. The only drawback I see to the show is Homer's alcohohlism being dealt with in a comical nature. It isn't necessary for the show (although it makes me laugh). Aside from Homer, drinking and alcohol in the show is portrayed (again - in my opinion) in a negative fashion. Barney and the rest of Moe's crew seem like total sad, lonely losers. Besides - I live in central Wisconsin - I would estimate half of all children here are growing up in home with an alcoholic father... and sadly that's something they have to deal with for more than 30 minutes a week, and comes without the laughs...