Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Block threads

CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,824
Is there any way of blocking threads, so you do not see them or updates to them? Kind of like the bookmark, but an anti-bookmark. It would be handy for trade threads where you have no interest in them due to location, etc.

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,824
    edited March 2013
    PS. I don't mean block a user, but a whole thread - a bit like the dismiss option that appears on some announcements.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    I don't think so. I think your option is to simply leverage the category view. @rocao ?
    It was more to block threads that I know I am not interested in. This is mainly in the marketplace, where someone is in the US (or somewhere else) and only wants to trade in the US, if I could just mark it as hidden, then I'd never need to see it again or receive updates on it. Otherwise, it always tells me that there are unread posts and I like my pages to be clean.
  • greekmickgreekmick UKMember Posts: 710
    Maybe we need separate UK Marketplace and US Marketplaces
    I personally would like an all discussion view without any market threads. I think we've just gotten to a point where "all discussion" view has become insufficient. As of right now, I don't believe we can dismiss regular threads or filter our all discussion view.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,458
    You can of course hide entire categories from the category index: http://www.bricksetforum.com/categories.

It's not a bad idea splitting out the marketplace into, maybe North America, UK and rest of world. We do it for shopping, after all. What do others think?
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,258
    That would be fine with me, and I think very helpful in eliminating some of the clutter on the main forum page.

However, it would be necessary to make sure that sellers willing to ship worldwide appear on all the different marketplace threads. If it just showed up in their country, say North America, I doubt UK users will get to see it, even though the seller is willing to ship to them.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    I don't think set sales would be problem but I can see it being an issue for the poly and figure boys which are often traded from country to country.
    With recent and soon to be price rises on both sides of the pond, even sending minifigs is getting expensive. So a split into three would be good for me.
    I vote we keep the marketplace a singular entity. It could get fairly confusing when someone is in the UK and wants a set from anywhere, etc.
    legoprods
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    splittings a good idea, how about us, uk and row/global categories to answer yellowcastles point?
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    edited March 2013
    ^ As in using the "rest of world" category as a global category too? Wouldn't that mean duplicate threads too (one in U.S./U.K. marketplace and another in the "global" marketplace)?
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    edited March 2013
    I can see it both ways really; splitting the marketplace would obviously help remove "clutter" for those not interested in trading overseas but it would also present some problems for international sellers since (unless you can put something in two categories) they would only be in their "local category" unless they posted in each of them, which would have the net effect of more clutter. Overall, I think that it's probably best to leave it as is (a minor annoyance for some) than to make something that would likely be rather confusing (or even problematic) for others.

Now having said that, I do agree that it would be very helpful to have a location (US, UK, etc.) at the end of a marketplace title and then add a little abbreviation (something like W.W.) if they're willing to ship outside of their country. Perhaps not being as strict as deleting any threads without it but having the person state (and the mods add) it as soon as possible if it's missing that in the title. If you request as such in something like the forum rules I imagine new members would also do it, thus reducing the hassle for moderators.
  • legomasonlegomason Member Posts: 190
    Either way is good.