Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

BrickCon

HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 7,019
edited June 2011 in Community and Events
I've never been to a US LEGO event; heck, I've never been to the US full stop :-)

Is BrickCon a good one to choose for my first? http://afol.brickcon.org/ How does it rank in size/importance compared to other US events?

Anyone here thinking of going?

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 7,019
    It's the same weekend as STEAM (again) so I guess I won't be going :)
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    Brickworld would be a good one to visit ... but that's this weekend, & you've already got commitments for that too ...
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 7,019
    I'll have to make plans for next year, then...
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    How about a smaller event like Brickfair in August?
  • MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    Maybe we should arrange exchange visits so a little bit of STEAM goes to BrickCon and vice versa? OK, probably a daft idea, but it would be cool. I'd love to go there.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,742
    I'd also be up for a visit to Brickcon, but the timing has thus far not worked for me.
    ^^ At the very least, we should try to improve interactions between STEAM & BrickCon - some sort of web-enabled joint session should be possible? Something scheduled for Friday evening (UK)/Friday lunchtime (US) might work ...
    ^ What kind of session did you have in mind ?
    Lots of options - joint announcement of the Jan 2012 'Direct' set; LEGO-lead discussion about Community projects; joint presentation on collaborative projects at the two shows; group discussion some topic or other; ...
    ^ Ah - I get you; basically joint anouncements, joint seminars with Q&A etc. via weblink projected onto a big screen. Makes a lot of sense - it would effectively mean that STEAM and Brick Con attendees would get twice the number of exclusives and could "attend" key sessions at the other meeting.

Of course, the other option would be for Brickcon and STEAM to try and work together on scheduling so that they didn't conflict....
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    Kinda make them sister events? Maybe change the name of Brickon to Steam West or Meats... ;o)
  • TownTown Member Posts: 68
    Anyone been to this? Going this weekend and am wondering how much money to bring... Are there a lot of older sets for sale? I'm not into any of the custom stuff that a lot of listed vendors seem to sell.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    @Town Will see you there! My first Brick convention although I have been to ECCC & JCCC both here in Seattle to display with SEALug
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    wish i was going.... but i'll have to settle for my first NYC Comic Con next week with I LUG NY ilugny.org/ If anyone is going they have to come by and see all the goodies the LUG has cooked up
  • tedwardtedward CanadaMember Posts: 163
    For the first time since I started going in 2006 I will not be there. :(

@Town: There are usually a lot of older sets. Wayne always has a great booth with old sets for a reasonable price. I picked up the indian village set a couple of years ago for a reasonable amount and no shipping of course just makes it better.
    Nice! Looking forward to it!
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    Was planning to go this year, but will be unable to make it. :( Would've been my first LEGO convention, ever.

Hopefully, Jamie Berard will be there next year. :)
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    Got pics of the new Arkham set :) Can't wait till it comes out in Jan!!
    CupIsHalfEmptyhleonffu
    That set looks awesome.