Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Is there a list of plate sizes anywhere?

Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
edited March 2013 in Building and Techniques
Does anyone know please where I can find a list of all the different sizes of Lego plates, ideally just the most common ones or with some indication of which is commonest)?

I'd designing a 'floor' made up of several plates, and I don't want to choose hard to find or overly expensive plates unless I can help it. It's hard to get an overview of what's the most cost-effective.

S

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,090
    BL is of use here.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?catType=P&catString=26

51 different ones, but some of those are minecraft pint ones.

Take the selection of ones you might use, then check rough prices. Obviously colours will affect prices.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    thanks @CCC, forgot you could view by 'category' Doh!

In some ways, Bricklink can be a victim of it's own thoroughness, would be nice to just see the common ones, without all the 'with a groove', 'without a groove', 'with a red line on the edge' and 'used twice in a scala set' type of stuff, but yeah I guess 50's not too many to go through - I'll just have to make an excel spreadsheet I guess.
    If you are looking to cover a large area, 6x12 or 6x16 are quite cheap for the area covered and come in useful colours for floors - dark tan and dbg.

Thanks mate - wow, yes, those colours are great. Was thinking of white, not so great, might have to change the colours. Thanks, S
  • dejavudejavu USAMember Posts: 235
    thanks for the link - I'm trying to 'de-winterize' the Winter Village sets so this will help me find plates to use in place of the white ones on the roofs.
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    With larger plates (4x6 or larger), I've always found it worthwhile checking (at least) the prices from Lego. Some seem to be unfeasibly expensive and not available in quantity from BL.

It's definitely also worth checking out PaB walls. Have got 6x8 green plates, and 4x8 white plates there very cost effectively relatively recently (although with pain taking apart and putting together). According to BrickBuildr, there are currently 6x16 dark bley plates at Westfield (West London) - not sure how well they'll stack in a cup.
    ^ Have bought a lot of those recently & can tell you straight away that they're usually about 50p each is you shop well. How many do you think you'd fit in a cup? (not a big frequenter of PaB myself)
  • pillpodpillpod Member Posts: 273
    I recently did a PaB cup and they had (if I remember correctly) green 6x16 plates. I wasn't focused on them but grabbed 5 along with the rest of my haul. You could definitely fit at good amount and then fill the rest with other good stuff.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,963
    edited March 2013
    I used the list of plates available on http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Pick-A-Brick-ByTheme as a basis of what is readily available (and in which colours).

I fed that info into the mosaic program I wrote, so I was able to reduce the cost of the following mosaic quite a lot (larger plates generally have a lower cost per stud). I guess it could be useful for custom floor layouts, too...

• EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    edited March 2013
    I recently filled a big PAB cup for 14.99+ tax . If I had purchased the same stuff at s&h it would have cost me around $75.
    Contents to name a few
    6x4 plates 28
    6x8 plates 15
    1x6 flat plates 30
    Transperent panel 39
    Plants 65
    And assorted small stuff like 1x1, steering wheels etc.

I bet others can do better:-)

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    edited March 2013
    pillpod said:

I recently did a PaB cup and they had (if I remember correctly) green 6x16 plates. I wasn't focused on them but grabbed 5 along with the rest of my haul. You could definitely fit at good amount and then fill the rest with other good stuff.

you can get at least 24 6x8 plates in a small cup plus a good amount of sides and top filler
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    ^^ yep. trick is to put all the big bits in first -- plates around the sides, bricks, then bobbles after all that. press it in, shake it down, and go to town.
    I always pile plates up into one or two large bricks so that no space is wasted, rather than putting them around the sides. Round the sides = more smaller gaps which means having to back fill with smaller and often less useful parts.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,963
    I remember stacking a load of 6x8 plates together to save space. It was a nightmare trying to separate them all afterwards! :)
    Offset them and use a brick separator!
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    in the case of a 6x16 plate, you cant "brick" them flat. a 4x4 may flat out at the bottom of the cup max. I've tried bricking large plates vs round the edges, and ended up with more success rounding a large cup. The other tends to bulk up the middle. I do agree on smaller plates though.
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    edited March 2013
    I stack the bigger plates into blocks, unless I need them immediately I leave them alone. Brick separator does the trick when the time comes to separate. Fill out the hollow part at the bottom with the round tiny parts then go to town with the plates in the middle, the sides get the small stuff too. I fill the top with plants or flowers. A little time consuming but fun.