Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego 10189 Taj Mahal Set (scam?)

LegoZombiesLegoZombies Member Posts: 25
edited March 2013 in Marketplace
Saw this listing on Craigslist in Chicago
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/tag/3659095503.html
Might be a scam but if someone in the area is interested they can take a look might be worth it. Mods if in the wrong category please move

Comments

• RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    That's quite a good price tag especially with average used prices on Brick Link at about the $800 mark. Seems really fishy though. A simple search on ebay would also show the same $800 average selling price. They state getting rid of it because of an upcoming child but you would think that they would be even more diligent to sell it for more because of that.

Then again it would be hard to scam someone if you can inspect the set before handing over the money.
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    edited March 2013
    Saw the same ad in Seattle craigslist.
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tad/3657320366.html

My initial thoughts were awesome price. Now, if its too good to be true then ...perhaps its not true at all :-))
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,638
    Also very odd that both have the same taste in flooring.
    Yup! Same flooring, same pictures...what a remarkable coincidence! :-)

• LegoZombiesLegoZombies Member Posts: 25
    Haha indeed it did seem to good to be true but who knew if it wasn't a scam that would be an insane price
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    It is also possible that they are two completely different people, one simply took the pictures from the other, without bothering to take their own pictures.

If it is cash on collection, as someone pointed out, that is rather hard to scam.

If you contact them and they ask for anything but local pickup, run away!
  • kwkwkwkw USAMember Posts: 1,207
    @LegoFanTexas Same description about having to move lego out of the way for a new kid??? lol
    Yes, but more than one person a day has a kid in this country. :)

I'm quite sure many things are listed on Craigslist for sale for just that reason. Not saying this is on the up and up, just saying it is possible.

Caveat emptor
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 1,996
    ^It wasn't just a similar circumstance, though... the ads were verbatim. Even if this is somehow on the up and up, I'd err on the side of caution.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited March 2013
    I wouldn't put it past scammers to say "inspection/pick up welcome" etc to give people a false sense if security.

Anybody who does want to see the item, the seller can just delay or say "sorry, it's sold" etc. Mean while somebody not local thinks "it's unlikely to be a scam as seller says inspection/pickup is fine, I'll ask if they will ship it.

I'd also imagine this could work for items that explicitly say "pickup only". If the price is low enough there is a good chance some one will contact the scammer asking if they would reconsider and post the item.

• LegoManiaccLegoManiacc Member Posts: 116
    Don't bother guys, I've already purchased these. Even got 20% off by purchasing via Western Union. I should have both of them by Friday!!!
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    ^ Smart move! Was just going to suggest that payment option an a precaution ;)
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    edited March 2013
    @LegoManiacc Forgive my ignorance. Does Western Union protect your purchase in some way? Also, how do you get 20% off? That's huge.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,382
    I think there might be a ;) missing here somewhere
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    I swallowed it hook, line, and sinker. Didn't I? :-) I was scratching my head, wondering if there was something about wire transfers I didn't know about. The 20% off should have clued me in.
    edited March 2013
    @cloaked7
    The Western union should have clued you in:-)) craigslist specifically warns about avoiding wire transfers:-)

@LegoFanTexas
    Yeah " more than one person a day has a kid in this country" and looks like " more than one person a day also HAD a Taj Mahal and an imminent arrival of a baby in this country" :-)))

It will be fun to check craigslist in other cities and see if more Taj Mahals popped up or out:-)
  • ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 420
    When I sold mine I listed it on CL for a few days before going to eBay. Had one or two people "kick the tires" but the one that made me laugh was a guy offering to trade me brand new high end electronics for the set! I did not reply.
  • brclark82brclark82 Member Posts: 217
    Well, I will let you know how serious this posting is. I contacted the seller last night as soon as I saw this and have yet to hear back from him. It hasn't even been 24 hours so we'll see but I will be doing this transaction in person IF it actually happens (I doubt it)
  • 111ins111ins Member Posts: 265
    I contacted them as well, they said that the price includes shipping and that they would take paypal...
    I said that sounds great but to let me know when they would be at there computer with a camera so that they could take an immediate picture with something specific (hand with 3 fingers up etc) and to send it right away...
    Have not heard back
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,430
    ^I have one word for you then... starts with an "s", ends with an "m".

SCAM!
    ^ Ha!

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever... do anything on Craigslist that doesn't involve, "yea, I'll meet you in front of McDonald's to do the deal", or something to that extent.

Really, this is 2013, do we STILL have people who think that buying stuff via Craigslist and paying online makes sense?

Really? Come on, who is that stupid?

Yes, I said stupid... If you believe this set is real when they ask for PayPal, then I have an Uncle in Nigeria who needs help getting money out of the country!
    oldtodd33kwkwTheLoneTensor
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    If you have to ask the question "Is this a scam?" then yes, it is a scam. Ever since my ridiculous ordeal to get my money back after an ebay scam if there is even the slightest hint of something not being right I am out. There are so many cons artists out there trying to make an easy dollar with Lego, it's down right shocking.
    LegoFanTexas
    With cash like that involved,forget macdonalds or starbucks, I'll insist on meeting at the city hall (police station is located right inside). And to be doubly sure and secure make a few burly buddies tag along just for the heck of it. :-))

Kidding aside, this screams a scam. If you google " lego taj mahal craigslist" a bunch of references to this kind of scams do pop up.
    EKSam said:

With cash like that involved,forget macdonalds or starbucks, I'll insist on meeting at the city hall (police station is located right inside). And to be doubly sure and secure make a few burly buddies tag along just for the heck of it. :-))

:)

For $450? That seems a bit overkill, but to each their own.

I did do a UCS Falcon in a bank once, that was $1,500 or so.
    @LegoFanTexas

Did you miss the "kidding aside part"? :-)That was an exaggeration.

I don't buy or sell off craigslist, tried a couple times and got some crazy people get in touch offering " working from home " opportunities. :-)

• 111ins111ins Member Posts: 265
    I was kidding, would never buy it like that anyway. Just wanted to see if / what their reply would be saying that I wanted pictures etc.

Now off to the bank to start collecting my inheritance from a long lost uncle in Nigeria

:-)
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    I want to hook this person up with the two above:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/wan/3662219294.html
    ^ That kind of ad is why I'd like to see Craigslist charge for posting. It doesn't stop all nonsense, but at least it would make them some money and give pause to stupid people. :)
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,430
    I wouldn't ever want to see Craigslist charge for posting. Then it would start turning into a mini eBay.

98% of Craigslist IS nonsense. That is something you have to deal with.

It's the 2% though, that makes sifting through it worth it and a great resource.

• TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,937
    Kinda like garage sales. 98% is junk, but every now and then you find some old Legos that force you to contain your insane excitement at when you negotiate price.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    Even if a craigslist seller says you can pick up an item doesn't mean it's not a scam - have we so quickly forgotten about the craigslist killer? Also people use craigslist just to get email addresses. There are so many ways to use it for other than honest sales.

Even if a craigslist seller says you can pick up an item doesn't mean it's not a scam - have we so quickly forgotten about the craigslist killer?

That is a risk everywhere in life, you don't have to meet someone on Craigslist for that.

Also people use craigslist just to get email addresses. There are so many ways to use it for other than honest sales.

Another reason to have dummy e-mail addresses for that stuff. :)
  • CurvedRoadPlateCurvedRoadPlate Member Posts: 257
    I had a Craigslist seller who was uncomfortable meeting in a busy public place. He turned down my offer to meet at the mall or at the college union where he said he was a student. Led me to believe something was shady about the deal and walk away.
  • lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 417

I had a Craigslist seller who was uncomfortable meeting in a busy public place. He turned down my offer to meet at the mall or at the college union where he said he was a student. Led me to believe something was shady about the deal and walk away.

Plenty of other places where it isn't so crowded but still within bustling view of people and cars. *cough*lakefront*cough*