Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

(UK) West Midlands Lego Display Show

collect_thatcollect_that Kidderminster, EnglandMember Posts: 1,327
edited June 2011 in Community and Events
I am currently in talk with three venues across the West Midlands about hosting a Lego display show for early summer 2012, obviously the success of any event is down to the participation and demand for such an event in the area. The actual location and size will be based on the amount of feedback I receive, but the response I have had so far has been immensely positive, and with the planned locations would also be a great family day out!

The event is planned to be open to anyone and will not be club based, just those who enjoy to build and show off their creations from kids to AFOLs

If there is anyone who would like to display a model/layout, set up a trade stall or offer their support or help in any way please contact me?

Comments

• MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    Where have you received immensely positive responses from? Make sure you are asking the right people the right questions...

You might also want to flesh out some of the detail in your thinking. I'm not sure mxing AFOL stuff and kids' BOLOCs is a recipe for success.

That said, as the organiser of a large public LEGO show, it is great fun (but hard work). I hope you get the support you're looking for!
  • collect_thatcollect_that Kidderminster, EnglandMember Posts: 1,327
    edited June 2011
    Hi Martin

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. I'm no stranger to event management having help co-ordinate (non Lego) public events previous and fully appreciate the hard work and effort required. My aim is not to compete with all the good displays established and not to be quite so big but help push forward an event for those AFOLs in the Midlands to get together, IF I get plenty of feedback from more people?

Having spoken to fans at previous shows and through contacts responses have been really good although getting a commitment to something new is a struggle, especially when not club based. Venues I have been in contact with have been postive and very interested.

As for Kids, sometimes a thorny topic when AFOLs are concerned, no one wants to attend a show to see a Republic Frigate made from random pieces with a ninja on top? But I think there are ways to get everyone involved.

Wes
  • Cam_n_StuCam_n_Stu UKMember Posts: 368
    I am intrigued, but it is difficult to give any useful feedback given how broadly you have framed the possible event. If you had an event where AFOL MOCs and the like were exhibited and kids could get hands-on involvement with builds I think that would be a nice mix. The venue could make or break this though.
  • collect_thatcollect_that Kidderminster, EnglandMember Posts: 1,327
    Hi Cam

I'm trying to be very broad on purpose and not define anything. I want to act as a catalyst for people to express what they would like and to present ideas just to get the ball rolling. If you have any ideas I would very much like to hear them, so get in touch?

Do you live in the Midlands?
  • Cam_n_StuCam_n_Stu UKMember Posts: 368
    Hi,

OK, this is just me thinking out loud but as I see it you need some anchors for the rest of the event to coalesce around. This might traditionally take the form of some anchor MOCs. Another idea might be to try and get a 'LEGO timeline' of definitive sets in a room although what you would need for that would be access to group of serious collectors with said sets! ;)

Venue wise, given the recent success in Manchester perhaps a similar venue in Birmingham such as ThinkTank might work?

Now for all my comments, I live on the North Western edge of the Midlands and I didn't make it to the recent event in Manchester!