Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Why does the usa always have great TRU sales and we dont ???

winter_zombiewinter_zombie Banned Posts: 54
edited June 2011 in Buying & Selling Topics
hi all

ive seen a lot of comments about the usa having great offers in their toys r us stores, offering bogo 50%
why on earth dont we here in the uk see sales like this.???

im writing this because im trying to save up for my first lego train set but at £100+ with no offers anywere i think its wrong.

were are our sales ?

What do you think?
edited by rocao - 6/15/2011 - inappropriate language

Comments

• atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    edited June 2011
    They do happen in the happen in the UK, but you're right, they are not as frequent as in the US. For example TRU had a BOGO sale earlier this year at the exact same time that PoTC came out, so it was possible to pick up the entire line for 1/3 off if you matched your set prices well enough.

Always keep an eye on the LEGO bestseller list on Amazon for some decent discounts: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/kids/423583031/ref=pd_ts_zgc_k_h_b_cs_423583031_mor1?pf_rd_p=241800247&pf_rd_s=right-5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=423583031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1PJXD1EBN6731BHXWJFP

Finally, check this thread out for some other tips: http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/78/how-do-you-keep-track-of-lego-deals#Item_21
  • jgadgetjgadget Member Posts: 183
    Agreed, we do get some good sales over here, although not seemingly as often as in the USA.
    Where we miss out a bit in the UK/Europe, is that the [email protected] Exclusives seem to be a bit less exclusive in the USA.
    As a result, we're dependent on [email protected] having a sale on these, since we can't get most of them from Amazon or TRU.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    I don't know if this will make you feel better, but Toys R Us sales are often not that remarkable when compared to other retailers. They mark up some of the more popular themes as high as ~10% over MSRP so these BOGO sales amount to about 15% off of two sets.

Amazon, on the other hand, has sets at MSRP as a baseline and frequently offers it for lower. Since Amazon purchases are not subject to state sales tax for most states, that avoids an additional 7-8%.

Other retailers like Target and Walmart have legitimate clearances from 30-50% off, and even 75% if you're lucky. LEGO stores and [email protected] clearances are 50% off.

What these TRU sales are good for is purchasing the sets that are not typically available elsewhere and infrequently on sale.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    Don't forget TRUs tendency to markup their products even more than normal during Christmas time. And they just marked up the smaller PotC sets for a second time, now 25% to 33% more than MSRP! That's just criminal in my mind.

But I strongly believe that it is the consumer's responsibility to determine what is and what is not a good deal. If people want to blindly buy at whatever's on the pricetag, then shame on them. We all have google.

All that being said, this sale was really awesome for most sets and games. Here's hoping we'll start to see less TRU bashing going forward....unless of course they cancel your big ticket orders.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    They're nowhere near as bad as W H Smith in the UK though. I managed to prevent a Granny with a young child buying the City Camper the other day on 'sale' at £25.99 WAS £29.99.....
  • bahnstormerbahnstormer Member Posts: 180
    there are less than 100 TRUs in western europe, there are probably more than that in california.

• EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    ^ True. :)
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    One thing though, DON'T buy Lego at retail at my local Target in Elmhurst Queens. They mark up sets as high as 30% OVER retail. That's right. That much higher on popular sets. They used to be competative with Lego and TRU but since last fall, they mark 'em up high, then do a sale so roughly you're around a 10% discount.
    One thing though they do have better sales when they're getting rid of older sets to make way for the newer waves of stuff.
  • winter_zombiewinter_zombie Banned Posts: 54
    well my TRU in in Nottingham city and that just over 20 mies away.
    in my town we dont have any toy shops only Argos and Tesco. and i carnt drive so going to TRU is a mojor problem

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,475
    edited June 2011
    Cause
    hi all

ive seen a lot of comments about the usa having great offers in their toys r us stores, offering bogo 50%
    why on earth dont we here in the uk see sales like this.???

im writing this because im trying to save up for my first lego train set but at £100+ with no offers anywere i think its wrong.

were are our sales ?

What do you think?
    edited by rocao - 6/15/2011 - inappropriate language
    Cause Americans are crazy and overspend on almost everything (unless it is healthy food)..
    I am guessing it is the market... More people do spend in the US than other regions, after all we are still a number one (or two now with China) market in the world, and they have proven that with sales people are more apt to overspend because they are getting a 'good deal' on something
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,475
    Don't forget TRUs tendency to markup their products even more than normal during Christmas time. And they just marked up the smaller PotC sets for a second time, now 25% to 33% more than MSRP! That's just criminal in my mind.

But I strongly believe that it is the consumer's responsibility to determine what is and what is not a good deal. If people want to blindly buy at whatever's on the pricetag, then shame on them. We all have google.

All that being said, this sale was really awesome for most sets and games. Here's hoping we'll start to see less TRU bashing going forward....unless of course they cancel your big ticket orders.
    Did you notice that the NXT 2.0 went up to 305 for this sale? also the Passenger train went to 140 and the Mini series 4 went to 3.50 per pack