Considering Selling my modular collection

starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,300
I am considering selling my modular collection. I have a Cafe Corner, Green Grocer, Grand Emporium, Fire Brigade, Pet Shop, and Town Hall. Is $1800 too much to ask? I based my price on a total average of all those modulars selling prices. They are all complete with manuals. Adult owner. Only displayed. Shipping included.

Comments

• emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    edited February 2013
    ^ are boxes also included for all sets? $940 is the RRP for all the sets. All but two are still available MISB direct from retail currently. It is CC and GE that is going to demand higher prices...as to how much, I have no idea. Shipping obviously is factored in for so many large sets. Take offers and see what you get. Good luck!
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Normally we aren't supposed to comment on other people's selling prices, but since you directly asked, I'll toss my hat into the ring.

Yes, I think that is too much.

Cafe Corner and Green Grocer are the only two retired sets.

Cafe Corner is about $700, Green Grocer is about $400, both used with instructions.

The other sets can be purchased new for $650, so used I'd value those at $400.

That gives a total of $1,500, except you want someone to take a bulk deal, which usually involves a discount. Maybe $1,400 for the entire lot.

Just my 2 cents worth.
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,300
    emilewski said:

^ are boxes also included for all sets? $940 is the RRP for all the sets. All but two are still available MISB direct from retail currently. It is CC and GE that is going to demand higher prices...as to how much, I have no idea. Shipping obviously is factored in for so many large sets. Take offers and see what you get. Good luck!

No boxes included. Sorry.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    I'd price the lot at $1750 on ebay ($100 for FB,PS and GE, $150 for town hall, $500 for GG and $800 for CC). Since you are throwing in shipping $1800 sounds reasonable to me. Good luck.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    I agree with LFT, but you never know who will buy what on Ebay. If you're not in a hurry, price it higher ($1750 or so) and see what happens. The listing doesn't cost you anything (assuming you're < 50 items/month) so go for it. You can always lower the price, but you can't increase it once it's got a bid.
    I based my price on what such a collection would sell for here on this forum.

On eBay, I agree it would go for more. Would it go for $1,750? Maybe, maybe not, but there is little harm in trying. You can always bring it down, but as ^ said, you can't raise it once it has bids.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    I would think your max value would be to sell it individually on Ebay. It would take longer, but you would have the opportunity to max out the value of each set. If that was your goal.
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 436
    edited February 2013
    ^

Remember that that means greater fees.

Not the same thing the 40$ fee for the whole lot and the 80$ fee that would imply selling just CC and GG separately.
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    I'd list them on Bricklink before putting them on Ebay...just my two cents. If you don't mind sitting on them for a little while (if you price them competitively you wouldn't need to wait long) you can likely get more than on Ebay and the fees are less (and I've found the purchaser is more likely to be respectable and won't rip you off).
    I don't want to wait a long time to sell them. I am thinking about selling them to have some more money to take my kids to Disneyland. Haven't been there in 9 years and I don't want to use my savings or credit cards.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    edited February 2013
    In that case I would list them in one lot BIN $1900 and also take offers. Put a note in the listing that you will not respond to lowball offers. Someone should bite and if you want them gone quickly I think $1500 - $1600 is reasonable. Make sure to insure, track and get signature confirmation. Don't get hung up on a couple hundred $$$, the fun you will have at Disneyland will be worth much more.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited February 2013
    Thinking about this a bit more, I definitely think you're better off selling the CC and GG individually and cold-storing the rest for later.

I could be wrong, but I think the current ones will drag down your two gems, because anyone eying the CC or GG will likely already have the other sets. In a full bundle, you'd have to find that one magical person who wants to get them all in one shot AND appreciates the value of the CC and GG, and doesn't expect a bulk discount. I don't think there are many of those people out there.
    y2joshLegoFanTexasBastamdellemanFollowsClosely
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    I agree with @tensor. The currently available sets are only going to drag the value down, especially since they're used. If you want to sell Café Corner and Green Grocer as a lot to save on time and effort, that shouldn't impact things too negatively, but if you want to move them all, I think selling them individually is probably a better idea.

In the case of selling them all as a lot, I concur with @doriansdad. $1800 is likely unrealistic, but I don't see any reason you couldn't pull in at least $1500.
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts and opinions. I talked to my husband and he doesn't want to sell them. He says he has an extra paycheck next month and we will use that money to go.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    Man, this is like going to a car dealership and testing out a car (squeeling the tires and driving all over town) just to tell the salesman that has been with you all day that you aren't interested :)
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    ^ New car or a complete set of modulars. I don't think there's much of a decision to make there :).
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654

Normally we aren't supposed to comment on other people's selling prices, but since you directly asked, I'll toss my hat into the ring.

Curious why we aren't supposed to comment on someone's selling price listed on a public forum? Just seems that if someone wants to sell something without comment or discussion they would just do so on Ebay, Bricklink or the like.
    gmpirate said:

Curious why we aren't supposed to comment on someone's selling price listed on a public forum? Just seems that if someone wants to sell something without comment or discussion they would just do so on Ebay, Bricklink or the like.

Forum rules... When someone posts "I have X for sale for Y price, PM me if you are interested", the admins have asked us all to not comment on our opinion of the price, good or bad.
    ^I think this is a grey area because the OP just wanted to see how much they thought they could get for the above mentioned sets.

gmpirate said:

Forum rules... When someone posts "I have X for sale for Y price, PM me if you are interested", the admins have asked us all to not comment on our opinion of the price, good or bad.
    I wasn't saying I was selling them though. I said I was "considering" selling them. I wanted to know what everyone thought they might be worth.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    This is not a marketplace thread.
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    edited February 2013
    ^^^ I don't know, personally I wouldn't even call it gray area as the OP purposely posted in the buying and selling section (the rule only applys to things that either are, or were supposed to be in the marketplace) and was definitely asking for opinions.
    Edit: ninja'd!
    I didn't even realize this was posted here. No gray area then.
  • mdellemanmdelleman Vancouver CanadaMember Posts: 274
    As @tensor said, sell CC and GG outright on Craigslist, Bricklink or eBay (in that order) and then stash rest for a couple years for the next trip!
    I think the mods can close the discussion now. Thank you all for your comments and opinions.