Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Lego Party Favors for 5 year old birthday?

My 5 year old's birthday party is coming up, and I'm looking for Lego party favors that won't break the bank.

Last year we had great goodie bags for $2 total. This year, the boys are crazy into Lego and Star Wars, and Legos are the party favor theme. At his friend's party, the kids each got an Elite Clone Trooper and Commando Droid Battle Pack #9488. Another party the same day as my son's is going to have bagged minifigures in the goodie bag. Ahh, preschool peer pressure!

The best deal I could find were the Star Wars planets #9675 and #9676 for $6.60 + tax -- that's a lot to me for a party favor. For the girls who don't like Star Wars, I found Lego Friends bagged pets #41017, #41018, #41019 for $4.11.

Any other ideas? Under $5 is great...I'm willing to buy a big set and part it out.

Thanks!!

Comments

• PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 312
    Get a SW advent or two and give each kid a few bags from inside. My local TRU still has them for $24 each. Get two or three of them with a few friends polys for the girls and you could also take advantage of the $20 off any $75 LEGO purchase that they are running now.

• EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    How about the Star wars polybags? Target has them mostly at the checkout counters. They cost around $4.39 ( I think).
    Or the lego party pack is 19.99$, it has 10 minifigs( all boys).
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,197
    CMFs have always worked well for us.

Or make your own build-a-minifigure centre from random minifig parts, let the kids make one, and they get to take that one home.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    We just threw my 5yr old nephew a Ninjago party and kept it well under budget with cheap Lego activities & gifts. Each kid at the party received a named box with a ninja or CMF Fairy, along with a small building plate and PAB area. Plus crayon coloring activities that was super cheap, since it's just photocopying.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brickdancer/8458480953/in/photostream
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 852
    My wife and I have a 5-year old birthday party coming up for our son. How timely. She's thinking of buying these trains from Etsy.com - but I say I could make them. I priced it out, they're about $1.75 each from Lego.com (plus $4.95 total shipping). This could be good. Our theme is going to be trains, but he loves [daddy's] LEGO sets, so it's a win-win.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    The Lego birthday party kit is good for this
    http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=852998-1
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,197
    MorkMan said:

My wife and I have a 5-year old birthday party coming up for our son. How timely. She's thinking of buying these trains from Etsy.com - but I say I could make them. I priced it out, they're about $1.75 each from Lego.com (plus $4.95 total shipping). This could be good. Our theme is going to be trains, but he loves [daddy's] LEGO sets, so it's a win-win.

I reckon you could make just the train, without the keychain part, for less than that using BL. You can pick up most of those parts for pennies. And get a mix of colours, so the kids can personalise them.
  • punkinannpunkinann Member Posts: 16
    @Brickdancer, that is one awesome birthday party setup. Your nephew is a lucky little guy.

The lego birthday party kit is discontinued...I'll look for the Star Wars polybags. They look promising.
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 312
    I didn't realize the birthday kit was gone. It was available just last week when I checked. It had been on sale for at least 6 months straight so I think they were slow movers. I bet they would be available at most Lego stores. If you do not live near one, you could ask to ship the set.
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 654
    Polybag sets or CMF are probably your best bet.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    R2D2 keychains?
  • CancanCancan Member Posts: 31
    Minifigs & brick candy - buy in bulk and divvy it up yourself.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    We have thrown quite a few Lego themed bday parties for my son over the years. Giving minifigs / small sets in a goodie bag is fine but by far the best response we had was when we just did the usual goodie bag of novelty items / candy and saved the lego bricks for the pinata.....my wife made a really cool yellow minifig head pinata and we loaded it with bricks and minifig pieces from our local reseller store.....once that bad boy burst the kids had a blast grabbing as much as they could and spent a good amount of time building and trading pieces.
    margot
  • punkinannpunkinann Member Posts: 16
    @dorian's dad, that's brilliant! They'll have lots of fun, and I can load it up with
    bricks instead of expensive Star Wars sets. Now if only Lego still sold grab bags...
  • DaSmokeEaterDaSmokeEater Member Posts: 34
    Does it have to be Lego brand or do you want to clone it? Meijers has online clearance Kre-O Battleship ocean attack mini sets at $2.39 apiece with free ship to store. http://www.meijer.com/s/kre-o-battleship-ocean-attack-set/_/R-225149.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    edited March 2013
    punkinann said:

@dorian's dad, that's brilliant! They'll have lots of fun, and I can load it up with
    bricks instead of expensive Star Wars sets. Now if only Lego still sold grab bags...

We got our pieces from here:

http://www.facebook.com/bricksandminifigures

We live in the same town but I know the owner would be happy to pack you what you need and ship it out to you. Hope this helps!