Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Beginning Reseller's Dream

So you say you want to break into the Lego resale market? Here's your chance...

minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/tag/3644802514.html

Comments

• Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    Wow.....I cant imagine what the bottom price would be....crazy
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 372
    I saw that earlier (I'm local). I didn't want to figure out what to offer.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    I can see why he doesn't want to ship lol
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,356
    Where's @LFT when you need him?
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    edited February 2013
    Look at the amount of some of the sets he has...10 Death Stars...thats almost $4,000 alone....30 Diagon Alley's....... 20 Imperial Shuttles.... I would thing you would have to offer atleast $40,000 to just get in the game
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    Yeah but you can't expect RPP for a load like that. Most resellers usually offer 50% of RPP (at least in my area) so even so, that is still quite a bit
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    Thats quite a "stash". Looks like he was/ is a reseller. I can't imagine anybody else buying 30 Diagon Alleys unless ofcourse they were planning on building life size Diagon Alley.
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    Listing was deleted ... did anyone here gave the seller an offer?

• ReliantReliant Member Posts: 68
    Wow ya do you think it sold? Any one grab a pic?
  • ShouldavilleShouldaville Member Posts: 51
    There was someone on the Indianapolis Craigslist earlier this month wanting to sell over 50 Death Stars...as a lot.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432

There was someone on the Indianapolis Craigslist earlier this month wanting to sell over 50 Death Stars...as a lot.

Heh-heh, yep saw that. They were basically saying "I bought all these waiting for it to retire, and now I gotta move and don't want to haul them along."

On a related note, I love the Craigslist postings which say "HUGE LEGO COLLECTION! Way too many to count!" and they include a photo of the bucket of about 200 parts. "Huge" is of course relative. And so is "laziness" apparently.
    andhe
  • iluvmyelementiluvmyelement Member Posts: 52
    I saw the same add in Chicago and a few other cities - must be a scam.
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 607
    For anyone that missed it, the full list got copied onto the Bricklink forum here: http://bricklink.com/message.asp?ID=705365
    Poochy
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    ^ link not working . . .
  • MathBuilderMathBuilder Member Posts: 150
    ^Missing the www for some odd reason, browser related?
    This one should work,
    http://www.bricklink.com/message.asp?ID=705365
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 372

I saw the same add in Chicago and a few other cities - must be a scam.

The Death star one or this guy's mega list?

• BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    I don't see how the Minneapolis guy could scam if he was insisting on pickup. Anything's possible, I guess.
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,236
    edited February 2013
    Any buyer would be wise to open a sample number of the boxes to check that they actually contain what they're supposed to contain. It could even be worth their while to have a statistician provide an estimate of how my boxes should be opened to give them a reasonable confidence level that there are unlikely to be any substitutions.

Some value would disappear because opened sets would no longer be MISB and the agreed price would need to reflect this.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    A haul like that would be advertised in many major cities, I would think. I am 12 hours from Minneapolis, but if I had the jack to make an offer, I would have had no problem makng the trip to pick them up. I;ve traveled for much less.

My question is that the seller clearly was into lego and knew what he was buying, I'm surprised that he/she is not a member of this forum, toysnbricks or some other online lego community. I would think posting that here would have a larger potential for success.
  • PhoneboothPhonebooth USMember Posts: 1,419
    @wagnerml2 - To invest that much money in a business, product, or elsewhere, the seller HAS to be a member of this forum and I would also likely guess a regular in all the bloated reseller threads.

Otherwise it would be like deciding to pump 100,000 into the stock market to be a day trader without monitoring action on Wall Street.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    But people do that all the time. :)
    I don't know whom you hang out with, but I don't know many people with such an absurd amount of money to do that.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337

@wagnerml2 - To invest that much money in a business, product, or elsewhere, the seller HAS to be a member of this forum and I would also likely guess a regular in all the bloated reseller threads.

Highly unlikely to be a member of this forum otherwise it would have been posted in the marketplace. Looks like the folks at bricklink priced the collection at $70k retail. Probably sold for ~ $40k cash (about what he paid for them). I see folks selling their resell stash all the time for no profit.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    @phonebooth - You may very well be correct, but if that was so, I would think he/she would have offered it up on this forum as you have a target audience. Maybe he/she is trying to get more than what the re-sellers on here would offer, but Either way, it would be worth a post.
    ^ it would be a part out nightmare and admission of defeat.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654

I don't know whom you hang out with, but I don't know many people with such an absurd amount of money to do that.

Do what? Blow it? Not research their investment?

Happens "all" the time my friend . . .

y2josh