Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Is TLG Privately Owned?

m4ttym4tty Member Posts: 54
edited February 2013 in Everything else LEGO
does anyone know if you can buy shares in lego, i couldnt find anythink on here about it , ive looked on the net and someone said the normal public cant, would anyone know a yes or no answer on this

Comments

• USMCYodzUSMCYodz Member Posts: 92
    Lego is privately traded, as it has been with that family since the beginning. I don't know if employees have opportunities to buy, but the public doesn not.
  • m4ttym4tty Member Posts: 54
    thats not good news then... in the kind of market we are in at the moment lego seems to be a good firm to maybe buy some shares in
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,172
    edited February 2013
    No, It is very good IMO.
    I do not want some rinky dink day traders telling the company what to do..
    I believe that with a privately traded company the company has much more freedom to do whats best for the consumer, including top notch customer service.
    With a publicly traded company that all goes to India, and sorry but I know first hand that such support is terrible.
    And if you thought part quality in China was bad.. imagine if LEGO had to try to gain 2 cents per share on their stock
    I for one would like to know the company cares about me, the customer, and not their 'per share' price going up 2 cents.
    FollowsClosely
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,236
    edited February 2013

imagine if LEGO had to try to gain 2 cents per share on their stock
    I for one would like to know the company cares about me, the customer, and not their 'per share' price going up 2 cents.

Alternatively:

LEGO senior manager: Yes, this is a lovely idea but really, sets costing $200+ to be targetted at grown-ups?

LEGO ideas guy: But we know that grown-ups are an attractive market. There's real potential here.

LSM: I'm not saying you're wrong but can you imagine with the analysts might say? If one of them ridicules this approach it could play badly with the markets.

LIG: But...

LSM: What about re-issuing some of those sets that were popular when we were kids? A tweak here and there; it'll be safe, cheap to develop, and non-controversial for our investors.