Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Set: 1589

CoraHarrisonCoraHarrison Member Posts: 242
edited February 2013 in Marketplace
Hi,

Sorry I am new to this. My gran unfortunately passed away last week and I am left with the task of clearing out her belongings. I have found a lego set which I can find nothing about... it's got the number of 1589 on research I found this site so I am wondering if you guys can help me.

Is it worth selling or the bin? lol

Sorry condition - It's all there including mini-figures it was just built up on a shelf in the attic theres the manual there - thats how I knew what number it was. But no box.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,380
    Hi Cora,

Sorry to hear about your gran.

:-(

Definitely worth something - don't bin it ! Assuming it's the Town Square there are a few available on Bricklink (http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?q=1589) although whether anyone will ever pay the rather optimistic prices being asked is another matter.... I have no doubt you'd be able to sell it on eBay, however; clearly degree of completeness, condition etc. is important, and without more info it's hard to know what sort of reserve/ starting price you might want to put on it. Or else just list it with a 99p starting price and let the market decide.... Good luck !
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    Hi, Cora.

If the set is the set that @drdavewatford identified for you, #1589 Main Street, it is a set I have been looking for for some time. I am in the US. If you are looking to sell and if it is in decent shape and complete, PM me with a price. THanks!
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    #1589 is on my list as well, however I'm looking for one with a box.
  • CoraHarrisonCoraHarrison Member Posts: 242
    Hi Guys,

Thank you for your kind wishes and your offers.

I have had a look at the bricklink site and... I almost fell over lol.

I am sure my gran would had loved to hear what it was worth, I only wish I had known about it sooner, perhaps we could have had a day out or a shopping trip with the money.

I am not a great fan of eBay, so I am tempted to look into listing it on the Bricklink site at a reasonable price and hopefully reaching a quick sale.

Thank you all for your help.

Cora.

You can find an inventory of parts at the URL below; that'll enable you to see if anything is missing so that when you list the set you can tell prospective buyers exactly what they're getting.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=1589-1

Best of luck !

D.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Hi Cora, sorry to hear about your gran. Selling a single set on Bricklink could take a long time and it is not exactly known for its accessibility for new users, especially those new to the hobby.

My advice, work out a deal in private with someone here, such as the fine upstanding citizen @wagnerml2.

Good luck!
    @wagnerml2 I am happy to sell it to you and post to the US as long as the postage fee considers the fact that this seems to be a high priced item, so for both your protection and mine it was posted with insurance etc... :)
    Does anyone know the sort of price I would be looking for?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,217
    edited February 2013
    Given that only one has sold worldwide on bricklink (in the UK) in the past six months your market is likely to be very small. It is also not a valuable set parted out (sold in bits) so you are aiming really at a collector. With no box, you are not likely to get what the one sold for on bricklink, and the others for sale on there do seem to be rather optimistic in price. Bear in mind some of those sets on bricklink have been listed for years without selling.

I'm not going to suggest a figure, it is something you need to work out with whoever you are selling it to. If to @wagnerml2, he has successfully traded with many people on here, in the US and international.
    Hmm okay so the ones on Bricklink are £200 + but ideally yes I would like a rather quick sale & the box isn't present. The instructions / manual is. :)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,217
    That's one problem with bricklink. Sellers can list at whatever price they like, which makes people think their item is worth that too. The better price to look at is what the same set has actually sold for. Unfortunately here, with just one sale, it is hard to value it.

You have to remember it is worth what someone will pay. And not many people are willing to pay those prices on bricklink - as otherwise they would have been sold.
    Same with anything... I relate it to my collection of gaming mechanise the retro stuff is worth what people will pay and in a recession... I'm bagging bargains, but selling for peanuts too.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    Hey, thanks for the positive publicity @CCC! @coraHarisson, I got your PM. I will respond shortly!
    wagnerml2 said:

Hey, thanks for the positive publicity @CCC! @coraHarisson, I got your PM. I will respond shortly!

Hi Everyone,

Can I just take this time to thank you all for your insight into Lego World!

It's been really informative, and such an eye opener, I will certainly be keeping an eye out for lego in the future.

Thanks.

Cora.
    No problem - thanks, Cora !