Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

If I were to enter the Star Wars Realm...

piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,019
edited February 2013 in Everything else LEGO
Which set would be best for me to start with. Forget about price, series, lines, etc etc etc. I don't have a single set from Star Wars; so if I wanted to venture into this "space" which set should I choose?

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,204
    It depends.

Have you seen the films?
    If so, which ones did you enjoy?
    Are you more into minifigs or building?

• piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,019
    Equally both. I have seen them but it has been a very long time; so I am like a blank palete.
    I'd re-watch them all (the original trilogy ones), preferably twice, and build a set based on what you enjoy. You can then watch again while you build.
  • ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 418
    That's a tough question and the best answer I can give is "it depends", but I will tell you my story:

I got out of Lego when I was 13, so my last set was purchased in 1994. Flash forward almost twenty years to last June and I'm at my Godson's birthday party talking to his dad, who is an AFOL and is telling me about how amazing some of the new Lego sets are. My curiosity is piqued and a few days later my wife and I drive to a local department store specifically looking for a Lego set to "try out". She picks out the super hero truck just because she wants the Iron Man figure, and after a lot of thought I picked out the Republic Frigate.

The next morning I wake up excited to play with Lego for the first time in nearly 20 years! I begin putting the set together, and I'm amazed by the difference between this set and the sets of my childhood. I love the integration of technic pieces to add a skeletal structure to the ship, and the little bonus functions (bombs, pods, etc) really strike me as neat. I finish the ship in a few hours, and swoosh it for days.

Over the next several months I collect a lot of the sets I'd missed, and one thing I find is that the early ones don't utilize technic components and structure and stability suffer (the different versions of the AT-TE are good examples of this.) I really seem to prefer sets post 2005 with the changeover to bley pieces and the use of technic.

So I guess my only advice would be to get a larger set. It will incorporate a lot of the best features and will look more impressive when done.

Hope this helps!
    BrickDancerYellowcastlebrickvine
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    @piratemania7 do you watch the CW show? If not, there's NO need to start with a CW set, unless it's purely just for the building aspect.

OT sets are sprinkled in lately over being the main focus.

it all depends on if you want is ALL, PT only, CW series only, or OT series only
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 939
    As @CCC says, rewatching them first is the way to go. See what ships/scenes appeal to you independent of LEGO. That way the corresponding set will have more resonance with you when it comes to buying/building. Besides, when you rewatch them you might realise that Star Wars isn't for you. Better to find that out before you drop big money on a Death Star.
    I am going to look for something current and maybe get it for like 50 bucks...
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 854
    If you want something current and in the $50 range, look for an X Wing, Y Wing, or TIE Fighter. Those are perfect entry sets. Substantial enough to have a real "build" experience but not so big as to cost a lot.

They are also all space ships, and will appeal to your interest in a "space" theme.
  • lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 416
    edited February 2013
    Easy, 9493 X-Wing. It's about as star wars as you can get.
    For $50 it has to be x-wing.
  • ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 418
    I'll second (or third) the X-wing. In my opinion it's easily the best one that TLG has done in terms of functionality and is a really enjoyable build.
  • hantothantot UKMember Posts: 247
    UCS Super Star Destroyer got me out of my dark ages, but until I got it the X-Wing and TIE Fighter were my first 2 purchases being easier to afford
    x-wing is on my list! looks like a great build.
    Wow ok X-wing it is. Might just put the purchase in now! Thanks everyone! Go LEGO!
    BrickDancer
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    edited February 2013
    I agree with everyone else, the current system x-wing, y-wing and tie figher at £50 each are great purchases they are all good builds, all nicely finished models, all affordable and all iconic sw ships. If you wish to branch into UCS' and assuming you can still find one, I highly recommend 10212 ucs imperial shuttle. A truly fanatastic display set when finished, middle of the road in terms of ucs costs and again somewhat iconic. I will say the level of build enjoyment very slighty let's it down IMO as the technic pins will hurt your fingers after a while but my god is it worth it when you see the finished article. It has just been discontinued so you might still be able to get one and the resale value (if you care about that) could end up being good as the set it seems is held in high regard.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,136
    edited February 2013
    I would vote for the TIE fighter. If you really get into it then you can always buy the new Ultimate X-Wing which will come out in May I think. If you were to buy the system X-Wing now than you would end up with 2 models of the same ship (if you were to buy the ucs one as well). Not a big deal since both are different but still, I'm sure you would want more variety in such an early collection.
    BrickDancerdougts
  • thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    Here's what I did. I only like the original trilogy and to be honest, I think most LEGO Star Wars sets look lame. So I started with...

X-wing
    Tie-Fighter
    Y-Wing
    Droid Escape
    Desert Skiff

IMO these are the best of 2011/2012 lineup, both in price and design. Once the bug had bit me, I splurged on...

Death Star
    Imperial Shuttle
    B-Wing
    Jabba's Palace.

The B-wing was a gift from my wife, otherwise I would have never bought it on my own. The only set I want to get from 2013 lineup is the Rancor Pit, and only so I can complete Jabba's Palace. The rest look terrible IMO.
    brickvine
  • tmgm528tmgm528 Member Posts: 451
    When I read the title I thought this was if I was in the SW universe and I thought why post that on the brickset form. d:
    I would definitely go with X-Wing or Tie-Fighter if you are looking for that $50 dollar range. Although if you are willing to spend more the republic frigate is one of my favorite SW sets
    @tmgm528 what makes the Republic Frigate a nice build? Just curious, since I have some still lying around at various stores. I havent picked any up, since it WAS just sitting on shelves.
    edited February 2013
    thornie said:

Here's what I did. I only like the original trilogy and to be honest, I think most LEGO Star Wars sets look lame. So I started with...

X-wing
    Tie-Fighter
    Y-Wing
    Droid Escape
    Desert Skiff

IMO these are the best of 2011/2012 lineup, both in price and design. Once the bug had bit me, I splurged on...

Death Star
    Imperial Shuttle
    B-Wing
    Jabba's Palace.

The B-wing was a gift from my wife, otherwise I would have never bought it on my own. The only set I want to get from 2013 lineup is the Rancor Pit, and only so I can complete Jabba's Palace. The rest look terrible IMO.

@piratemania7 go with this list, spot on IMO.

I forgot the DS defo one to get if your wallet can stretch that far along with the other UCS/exclusives.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^I agree too, that list pretty much sums up the best of current offerings. Other notables that might make the list are the 7965 Millenium Falcon and UCS R2-D2.
    I ordered the X-wing so we will see how it goes! I have nothing else to buy until castle comes out in August.
    @piratemania7 I fear you have possibly unleashed the beast. It's a slippery slope my friend, as many here will relate too :-)
    CapnRex101
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,260
    edited February 2013
    @piratemania7 - Jabba's Palace has received some criticism on account of the cost, but given that it is now often available with significant reductions I would highly recommend that set if you find yourself slipping down the aforementioned slippery slope! For OT fans there are few better once the price is taken out of the picture if you ask me.

I unfortunately found myself collecting the Ep.3 sets in 2005 and my collection has really snowballed from there, I have not missed a Star Wars set since then :)

Good luck...
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    When I first got back into Lego collecting a year and a half ago, I purchased #7965 on sale. The Millenium Falcon is very large and a very fun build, if a little pricey. I definitely second that the X-wing is a good purchase, but beware...you're going to have to buy the TIE fighter to balance out the good/evil lol. Then it's all downhill from there. I would recommend only collecting from one section(Original Trilogy, Prequel Trilogy, or Clone Wars) to ease your pocketbook. I only collect OT myself.
    edited February 2013
    @CapnRex101 assuming you are in the UK how much are you seeing the Palace for and where? I am keen to get one (and the rancor pit later on)but no way do I want to pay top dollar for it. I keep a lookout but only ever see it at that god awful RRP.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,260
    edited February 2013
    @bellybutton290 - Well right now on Amazon it is on sale at only £90: http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-Star-Wars-9516-Jabbas/dp/B0074566JS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361474467&sr=8-1. Well worth it if you ask me, with respect to the actual set and Minifigures it is among my favourite sets. I can actually somewhat understand the price, there are numerous brand new moulds made for the set and lots of large pieces for the roof (although it is still an extremely fun build).
    ^I do understand the price and I do really like the set but the price is just too much but 90 sovs is a little easier to swallow though.
    Beware...if you get Jabba's Palace...you'll have to get the Rancor Pit. They are like cookies and cream or fish and chips. They just go together. You may not be able to play with all the features of either once together, but that's another subj altogether.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    lulwut said:

Easy, 9493 X-Wing. It's about as star wars as you can get.

Yes, but for an adult, I'd hold off a few months to May and buy the UCS X-Wing instead...

For my money, 10188 has no equal...
    @jasor
    Well to start off it has some amazing minifigures with most of them being exclusive. It is a fun and somewhat challenging build. There are some great building techniques used and a large amount of detail is put into it. The only part I don't like is that the put stickers and the back thrusters and the peel off easily.
    ^^I may have to check that out. I can pick one up for around 80$ mark at the bookstore. hmmmmmmm....
    /\I would highly recommend it at that price. I got mine for 85$ on Ebay around a year ago. Definitely worth it and helps me complete my Jedi Master Collection.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,794
    I would pick a good set still in production. If you really get in to things, you can then think about paying higher prices for older out of production sets.