Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Am I getting scammed here?

wrangler6915wrangler6915 USA - Lincoln NEMember Posts: 527
Hi,
I know this is in the wrong category, but I am seeking some "expert" advice and there seems to be some knowledgeable folks here...comments appreciated!

Im kinda new to the forum and am working on a trade. I am starting to worry that I may be getting scammed...below is a truncated transcript of messages between ME and OTHERGUY. I've changed all identifying info, of course...I don't want to smear anyone, but something seems "off" here. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Is this "normal" for someone to "waffle" like this? Also, not sure why the delay in providing shipping info...again, seems highly suspect to me...other thoughts?

OTHER GUY: Hi, I saw that you need a 8961. I am looking for 4842, 4867, 10217, 10210, 9474, 9471, 7280, 7281, 626, and City sets. Do you have any of those? I am in the US. Thanks!

ME: February 3 I have 10217 (diagon alley), 9471 uruk hai (two sets). I also have...and tons mores.

OTHER GUY February 4 Thank you. I'd be interested in 10217, x2 9471, and 3658. You don't have the Battle of Helms Deep? Anything else you're looking for?

Would it be possible for you to add the Winter Cottage and Bakery set?

OTHER GUY February 6
Yeah, I guess I can do that. So our final trade is

OTHER GUY February 9
Okay, I understand. We can stick to the original deal. I'd like to swap out the police stations for x2 winter cottages.

From you:
10217 -Diagon Alley
10219 -Maersk Train
9471 - Uruk Hai Army x2
9474 - Helms Deep ("used", includes box and manuals, 100% complete)
3658 - Police Helicopter
10229 - Winter Cottage x3

From me:
8961 - Crystal Sweeper
8404 - Public Trans.
7937 - Train Station
10182 - Cafe Corner (sealed bags)

We can ship when each pay each others invoices. Thanks again.

ME February 9
Ok, sounds good. I'm going to box and weigh tonight, so I can send an inovice tomorrow.

THanks again; I;m looking forward to the sets!

ME February 13
Are we still on to do the swap? I'm all ready to ship...

OTHER GUY February 13
Hello, yes we are still doing the trade. I'm ready to ship as well.

ME February 13
Ok, wll you send me the shipping fee invoice to OTHER GUY.com ? I sent one to @gmail.com yesterday.

Also, can you send your shipping address?

Mine is

I will send tracking # tonight, and the box will go out tomorrow morning. I think I can fit it all in one box, but might have to split it up. I'll let you know either way. Thanks again
• OTHER GUY February 13
Thank you, I will pay the invoice and invoice you tonight.

My address:

• ME February 15
Hi...we still on for this deal? Thanks
• OTHER GUY February 15
Hi yes we are. Sorry, have been busy. I am going to pay right now and invoice you.
• OTHER GUY February 15
Okay, I have just paid and invoiced you. Let's ship tomorrow? Thanks!
• ME February 16
Hi,
All set to go tomorrow. Tracking info: 94………..
• ME February 16
Hi, can u send me the tracking info for the package u r sending to me? OTHER GUY February 16
Thank you! I will update you when I ship.
• ME 11:54AM
Hi
Will you be shipping tomorrow by chance?
• OTHER GUY 1:46PM
Hi,

Yes most likely. Have you already shipped out?

Comments

• cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,331
    Have you looked to see if they're mentioned in this thread?

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/4222/marketplace-feedback-for-buyers#latest
  • wrangler6915wrangler6915 USA - Lincoln NEMember Posts: 527
    Yes...but only once and it was very recently. I contacted the other party to that trade for his feedback...but also wonder if there is the potential for any colluding here (maybe Im just paranoid, but this is a big trade with a pretty big $ amount attached)
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,441
    @wrangler6915- Has he already paid? I'm assuming that the payment concept is so that if one of you all tries to potentially scam the other, that you can open up a case and get the monetary value of your sets back?
  • indigoboxindigobox Member Posts: 470
    I think trading such large quantities and value I'd want a few more reassurances. That is just me though.
    No cash exchanging hands (except for small shipping charges)...that's why I am worried here.
    So the "invoices" and everything, are just for shipping charges @wrangler6915?
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,027
    Quite a large deal if this was your first transaction with someone. I regularly split multi buy deals or store offers with Brickset mates and I'm not fussed when the money comes but I wouldn't fancy that deal with a stranger.
    Yes, just shipping charges are invoiced...the rest is just a swap. I think my gut was correct.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,331
    When did the other person join?
    S/he joined Nov. 2012
    edited February 2013
    @wrangler6915- how many times have they posted and/or created a discussion?
    87 comments posted...all on other peoples threads.
    @wrangler6915- We're they all selling/buying threads? Or was the person contributing at all to overall LEGO discussion?

These may seem like pointless questions, but I'm trying to narrow this person down a bit.
    Mainly selling/buying threads. Seems to have quite an interest in ebay fraud/drop scam discussions
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    All I can say, is that it's a large, elaborate and complex deal for a first or second transaction. I would on balance probably build up some rapport and smaller transactions with my trade partner before moving to something of this size.
    @wrangler6915- I've found the person in question. Nothing seems to be out of the ordinary with his comments at all.

I don't really understand the sequence of messages above, however it might be time to threat legal action.

Before you do though, I'd have his address confirmed to his name. I'm going to take this to PM and see if I can help you out more. If the person is still hanging around the forums, it doesn't help you if they can read all of this.
    @richo: you are correct; this is a large trade and I probably shoulda done a better job on my end. I have significant experience doing ebay, but that's a whole different ballgame. Good advice for the future...