Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

LEGOLAND Buying Questions

PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 312
I had a coupon for a free ticker to LEGOLAND so I took my son to our local Discovery Center. My son had fun but it was rather disappointing for me. I decided to make the best of it an pick up the PC as long as we were there. I got blank looks from the staff when I asked if they had any. There was a brick wall but it was garbage (flowers but no stems, wheels but no tires, motorcycle frames but no wheels or bodies, and the rest was just basic bricks). There were no display sets, the layout was totally different, the staff did not have aprons, etc. So are these store official LEGO stores or are they something different?

Comments

• margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    Different ownership, I think Legoland and Discovery centers are owned by Merlin Entertainment. You don't get VIP points at either Legoland or Discovery.
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    HOWEVER, I went to a Legoland, showed my VIP card to them, and got % off since they couldnt give me VIP pts. I would venture that not all Legolands are the same either. The fam went to one near Dallas, and it was pretty fun, and the Store was well stocked. Great staff too. They are indeed NOT Official Lego Stores, nope.
    jasor said:

HOWEVER, I went to a Legoland, showed my VIP card to them, and got % off since they couldnt give me VIP pts.

Nice! I asked about VIP points a few times at Legoland California and the sales people had NO idea what I was talking about.

• 12651265 Member Posts: 940
    Those who show a VIP membership gets 10% off entire purchase at the Discovery Center near me.
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    @1265 yep! it definitely makes a difference on a big purchase :D
  • ludzikludzik US (SoCal)Member Posts: 430
    margot said:

jasor said:

HOWEVER, I went to a Legoland, showed my VIP card to them, and got % off since they couldnt give me VIP pts.

Nice! I asked about VIP points a few times at Legoland California and the sales people had NO idea what I was talking about.

How was their store? Did they happen to have any older castle sets in stock? Do you have to enter the park to get to the store?
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    10% off is equivalent of double VIP points... Nice
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,169
    The Schaumburg one does the same but I think it is only 5% if you show a VIP card, but no, definitely not owned by LEGO.
    Do not expect sales or clearances to happen at both, again, separate entities.
    In fac,t I do not think I ever have seen a sale at a LEGOLAND Discovery center.
    Ludzik, you do have to enter Legoland to get into the stores. I didn't notice any old castle sets though I think I got a castle type polybag at one of the little stores. The Big Store usually has a few things you can't find online, typically small items and accessory items.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,195
    LDC in Atlanta also gives 10%. I didn't even have my VIP card with me, I just had the number scribbled on the back of a business card from a Lego Store (the one in Lawrenceville). They didn't check it or anything - just a straight 10% off. That just about covers the sales tax!
    So does VIP work in Legoland or just LD?
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 604
    VIP doesn't "work" at either. Legoland and LD are owned by Merlin, not Lego. However they *may* give you a discount as posters mention above. But YMMV.
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 312
    I assume holiday PAB boxes cannot be filled from their walls either.
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 604
    ^Correct.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    But they do carry merchandise that isn't found at Lego stores, such as tote bags, clothing, and much more!
  • weaselkingweaselking Member Posts: 60
    This is good to know. My family and I will be going to the 'land in Florida in May. My wife and I went to the one in Cali, gosh, probably 6 or 7 years ago. I do remember them having a big selection of boxed goods. But I'm sure my memory is shoddy regarding a store that far back, and I had no local LEGO b&m stores at the time to compare it with.
  • clowndiscuslegoclowndiscuslego Member Posts: 97
    edited March 2013
    Going there soon any exclusive items there? Can u use VIP card?
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,908
    edited March 2013
    Yes, VIP cards will work all all LEGO stores in North America. And there will be exclusive set at the store, I just don't know if they have them in stock.

Give them a call in advanced and tell them what you're looking for, I'm sure they'll be happy to assist you.
  • HemelHemel Member Posts: 30
    I think OP means Legoland California and from what I remember, the VIP cards don't work there, only at Lego Stores.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 692
    Yes, they have exclusives as welll as a lot of various polybags that LEGO Stores don't carry and are sometimes not carried elsewhere in North America.

No VIP card point earning, as they are not part of the LEGO Store chain.
  • brclark82brclark82 Member Posts: 195
    At my local legoland in Chicago if you ask about VIP they will just markdown 5% since they don't have a way to give VIP points. Worth a shot at least, I know they don't do this everywhere, they may do it here because there is a lego store directly across the street.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,908
    edited March 2013
    Oops. I thought it said "LEGO Store LA" for some reason. My bad.
    There's an exclusive at the Lego store in la?
    We were just at Legoland California a couple weeks ago and they will not offer a discount for VIP card. They had in some older poly bags, as well as the current Easter poly bag. I have to be honest I tend not to pay close attention to themes we don't collect. They also have coffee mugs, street signs, and other Legoland merchandise you won't find at the Lego Stores. Be sure to see the Factory Tour and Mini Land!
    Miniland is amazing... love the Star Wars section.
    Factory tour?
    ^ yes in Legoland California back by the Fun Town Police and Fire Academy and the Fun Town Market (our fav place to eat!).
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    ^ You should try Filippi's Pizza just a few miles further South. :o)
  • yuffieyuffie Member Posts: 91
    off to legoland windsor tomorrow so will try my vip card
    Cam_n_Stu
    @Yellowcastle thanks for the suggestion but I can't eat cooked tomato product so seldom eat pizza. Do they have a good garlic sauce? Offer other menu items?
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    ^ It's been 8 years, but I imagine their calling card is still tomatoish.
    AFFOL_Shellz_Bellz
  • DeadareusDeadareus Member Posts: 264
    I'll be heading to Legoland Florida in 3 weeks and curious about what they will have to offer as well.

What sort of exclusive sets will they have? Something specific to that Legoland location?
  • bsiu922bsiu922 SF Bay Area, CAMember Posts: 439
    We will head over this Friday, make sure you get the tickets before go there!

Lego land offer 2nd day hopper free and also 20% off if you purchase 7 day in advance or 10% for 2 to 6 day in advance. seems better deal than the buy 1 adult get 1 kid free

we end up pay $275 for 2 adult and 2 kids, with 2nd day free, I picked the Aquarium as my kids love Aquarium.
  • 17coyote17coyote Member Posts: 28
    I was wondering if anyone knew if there are any exclusive sets only sold at Legoland, specifically sold in Legoland California? Thanks in advance.
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 499
    Not sets, but they have close to the entire line. But Gear... They have alot of stuff such as swords/shields/capes/crowns that I think you only get there.
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 499
    *line = sets that are sold the present year. In Billund DK they also have a great selection of the giant sets that are hard to get elsewhere.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,685
    ^Yes, they had #10196 Carousel in stock for a good 2 or 3 years after it had been discontinued elsewhere. Unfortunately, it cost heaps more there than it did elsewhere also. :-\