Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Resellers, do your kids know, and if so, how do they deal?

TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
edited February 2013 in Buying & Selling Topics
In other words, how do your kids deal with the fact that Mom or Dad has a young-child GOLD MINE in the basement and that they can't play with any of them?

Comments

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    False premise. Like most re-sellers, I am a huge LEGO enthusiast with a large personal collection. The vast majority of that collection is available to my children to play with.

Anything I have stored for reselling is maintained separately from my personal collection, and my children understand the difference, and also the fact that the latter is what allows them to have so much of the former available to them.
  • dneuldneul Member Posts: 369
    I sell just to fund a small portion of my hobby. My kids know that the lego in my room is not for me or them to mess with. Occasionally I will treat them to a minifig or small set but much of it they do not have an interest in to begin with. My kids are 6 and 11 and have more lego then they know what to do with. We have about 150,000 pieces for play and display.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Let me restate then, regardless of the ones available to them, you or both, how do they deal with the additional sets that they aren't allowed to touch.
  • dneuldneul Member Posts: 369
    The resale stock is in my room on a tall shelf. Much of what I sell are extras that we have. Occasionally there will be others that we do not have but again, they have more then they can play with.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Sets I have stashed to resell are always duplicates of sets we have already opened and built. Never had anyone in the family ask for an unopened duplicate.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    Like @doriansdad, it is very seldom I invest in a set that we have not already enjoyed. Te have asked twice over the past fi ve years. I said yes both times. Once for the ninjago temple, the other time kingdoms joust.
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,258

Te have asked twice over the past fi ve years. I said yes both times.

Sounds like good odds... can I have your #10179? :-)
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    I'm not a reseller but I have picked up a bunch of £10-15 sets for kids presents. They sit there in daddy's Lego shop and my kids are able to buy them at the price I paid from their own money. I find getting them to use their own money takes a lot of the arguments away, but then these are sets that I'm prepared to pass on at my purchase price.

All a bit irrelevant at the moment anyway, as all they are interested in is Skylanders. Lego has taken a backseat.
    andheBanditVaderX
  • DaSmokeEaterDaSmokeEater Member Posts: 34
    LOL! My kids deal with it by playing with them. Admittedly my gold mine consists of second hand un sorted stuff when it comes to bricks (which I looked into BECAUSE of their interest), but the same was true when my first born, at age 2, got into Dad's G.I. Joes and ran around the house in his pullups with Bulletman and a tupperware salad bowl on his head.

It made a great pic for his wedding some day, I never mind when either of them gets into my things now.
  • ktmoktmo Member Posts: 73
    I am not a major reseller, but I do admit to being a buying addict. If a set goes on sale, I buy it. I try to stick with the sets we like to build (City, Friends, etc.). But over the years, I have collected a closet full of Lego sets. Many will be built eventually, many will be given as gifts, and some I will sell off. My girls know that we don't open all of the Lego sets that come into the house. If there is a set that they want to build, usually they get it. But there are sets that they know they can't open. It really is no biggie. They know that they are my sets until they are opened.
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    My five year old daughter knows that some sets are for investment, while others are to keep. She will ask and is usually OK with the answer. Although, she REALLY wants an Imperial Shuttle for herself (I have three, all for investment). I don't intend to keep them, although if I sell one at enough profit to pay for the other we may do that and surprise her one day. She will be seeing Star Wars for the first time next month.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    My kids love it! I sell probably around $2500-$3000 per month and there is a mix between new unopened and clean complete used sets. We have a huge personal collection, but my son helphs me sort and build. He also knows that every once in a while he can go in the basement and pick a set off the shelf for us to build.

We have more than enough sets/bricks in the personal collection, but my son knows that buying and selling is how our collection grows. He is all about it!
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    I don't have kids but I have nieces who occassionally visit and they simply don't know that the storage bins and shipping boxes contain Lego. When they do figure it out, I think they're well-behaved enough to know not to open that which isn't their's and their uncle is always certain to add to their Lego supply on birthdays, Christmas and other occassions. :-)
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    edited February 2013
    Like many of you, My kids and I each have large personal collections. Most of my reselling is on bricklink and not many sealed sets. I get to pick out certain parts I want to keep and I sometimes let my oldest son pick out a few things before we upload it to bricklink. My kids have so much to play with that they've never had an issue with the selling side of it. In another year or so I'm going to make my oldest son help pull orders!
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    samiam391 said:

They have asked twice over the past five years. I said yes both times.

Sounds like good odds... can I have your #10179? :-)
    You can build it sure. Come on over any time @samiam391.

• cardgeniuscardgenius Member Posts: 153
    My basement is un-finished so theyre scared to death to go down there without me or my wife. So I dont really have to worry about them going nuts and opening any of the sealed stuff.

My son does get jealous when he sees me come home with Legos that are for re-sale so I usually get him a small battle pack or give him a minifig or two from the lot I just bought. If I buy some stuff off Craigslist then he becomes my "Lego Apprentice" and helps me rebuild the sets so we can see what parts are missing and to take pictures for re-sale.