Amazon banned me forever..

This is an embarrassment of me but I got banned from Amazon forever. Hope everyone gets a lesson to play by rules.

I had multiple amazon accounts to play a trick to order quantity restricted items which violate one of amazon policies. I was warned before when I ordered minecraft last year but didn't really care. I was ordering Olivia house using multiple accounts last Friday. Saturday morning, I wasn't able to log in to my account and found out that amazon closed all my accounts and said that any future account will be also closed automatically. I wrote many emails literally begging for have one account reopened but politely refused. I had some gift card balance and they said they will issue a check for them.

It's a very weird feeling that I cannot shop at amazon anymore. I won't be able to order legos but all other stuffs that I used to get for bargain. I made me think about my reselling business(?) and my shopping habit/addiction. Somehow I needed to slow down and this will definitely do it.

A big lesson has be to play by rules. I thought I was able to get away with them. This is actually good for me to be reminded.

But I still would like to have one amazon account though. Would amazon cancel new account for my wife's name as long as I use same physical address? I haven't tried it yet.

Anyhow, if you have been warned from amazon for this matter, do not try again. Or you will banned like me as well.

Comments

• princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    It's good to hear that Amazon follow through with this type of action, they have a policy and you were ignoring it, despite being warned.
    Obviously it is a shame for you, but you can't expect to get away with ordering from a supplier and ignoring their rules or their warnings.
    Nice of you to warn others, would be interesting to know how many people are abusing the system in the same way.
    I would guess you would not get away with creating an account in your wifes name with the same address. My wife wanted to open a Lovefilm account (same company as Amazon) and had issues as I had previously had an account for the same address a year or so before.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,702
    This sounds familiar.

I was banned last year for two reasons. The first was because an expensive item sent to me using their 'Super Saver Delivery' service went walkabouts and never made to me. The second was because they were fed up of me returning damaged LEGO boxes.

Neither one of the reasons they had was my fault but they didn't want to know and no matter how many times I asked for my account back, they just kept saying "in accordance with our policy". I haven't done any thing wrong you idiots!!! It's not my fault you sent a £500 piece of equipment to me using 'non-tracked' second class post. It's not my fault you packed an already damaged box and sent it to me.

They said that they would close all of my accounts and any account connected to me. I only had one account but they left my wife's open (based at the same home address) and my mother's (my parent's home address where I used to reside).

Fortunately I do still order from Amazon, but I agree with you, when I first received that initial email and couldn't access my account, I thought my right arm had been cut off.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,799
    To be honest, that's good. I would imagine they will ban any accounts opened using the same address. If you were warned about circumventing their restricted items by breaking their rules and still went and did it again, why should they let you continue to order from them by reinstating one account. That would send out the message that if you break their rules, then you can continue using their service like anyone else.
    dragonhawkdougts
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^^ Although, the two are also nothing alike. You did nothing wrong, the OP deliberately circumvented rules that apply to everyone else but believed, for some misguided reason of self importance, they didn't have to apply to them. Sadly something you see throughout life. Well done amazon, I'm genuinely impressed.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    You can still easily open more accounts (google is your friend) but the question is do you want to? Maybe it is a sign to take a break (especially from Friends sets lol).
  • skherbeckskherbeck Member Posts: 33
    To kim43235:
    You're out of control. This is your wake-up call. Do not be consumed by Lego.
    thornieshikadi
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,767
    @Legoboy that's a nonsense reason to ban you. Both of those things were out of your control and their fault. Id go back to them and start kicking up a fuss. Take it to a manager.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    @kim43235 just curious, how many accounts we talking about here? I ask because I have two, myself - one for me and one for the business.
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    ^ but are you using them to circumvent max buying limits like 1 per household?
  • lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 416
    Legoboy said:

This sounds familiar.

I was banned last year for two reasons. The first was because an expensive item sent to me using their 'Super Saver Delivery' service went walkabouts and never made to me. The second was because they were fed up of me returning damaged LEGO boxes.

You're hurting their bottom line. Nothing personal, just business. If consistently receiving damaged boxes wasn't an indicator to stay away, Amazon took it up upon themselves to do it for you.
    FollowsCloselyteal93mr2VaderXshikadi
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    Well, on one hand, if you repeatedly violate T&Cs, obviously there can be repercussions.

On the other hand, it is worthwhile to consider the fairness of "for life" punishments for comparatively minor infringements, i.e. "hurting the bottom line" - keep in mind that Amazon was not exactly defrauded of money. The damage due to consistent circumvention of maximum buying limits per household should be comparatively minor. There is a reason why society, for example, deals out lifelong sentences only for major crimes.

No intention of being off-topic or starting a discussion, just putting it out there.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    Limit TWO Skiffs?! C'mon...

To the OP: I appreciate your candor and forewarning. I respect Amazon's right to enforce quantity restrictions but at at the same time they should be reasonable (both in the amount initially allowed and the punishments for circumvention). Laying in a case or two is not the same as ordering a pallet.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Those limits are typically lifted after products have been available for a while. The intention is to prevent scarcity and a run on them which would then leave others complaining about unavailability. Just wait a few months and buy a second. Circumventing their terms of agreement (which agree to when you create an account) just because you are impatient is no excuse.

As for buying Lego on Amazon and finding box quality issues, that's a no-brainer and the very reason I won't buy any Lego from either Amazon or eBay. The majority of Lego purchases I've made from both have been problematic. It didn't take many purchases for me to realize that. That's why over 95% of my Lego purchases are from Lego themselves.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Legoboy said:

It's not my fault you packed an already damaged box and sent it to me.

What do you consider damaged? If the boxes had only cosmetic damage (bent corners, creases, dents, scratches, etc.), I completely understand their position. Of course, if the boxes had been subject to actual damage (crushed, opened, waterlogged, etc.), it's quite ridiculous.
    dougtskylejohnson11
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,520
    ^ @legoboy likes his boxes super-minty-fresh. I've seen him in a proper state over a slightly scuffed SSD box :-)
    andherichoSi_UKNZkylejohnson11
  • kim43235kim43235 Member Posts: 165
    I had more than two accounts. At first I thought it is too harsh to ban someone to use their service again but I have no say as I broke their rules which I agreed upon registering with them whether I realized it or not. Yes, this is my wake-up call, I guess. Appreciate all *candid* comments. It's good to see most of us here do not own more than one account with amazon.
    Legoboy said:

This sounds familiar.
    The second was because they were fed up of me returning damaged LEGO boxes.

How many returns we talking here?

• cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    edited February 2013
    Yup, I order a lot of things from amazon. Their return policy is great, so it can be tempting to return most anything for any reason. After reading threads on this site about 'abusing' the return policy I no longer buy from Amazon as much. And, I have thought twice about returning some things and didn't. (example, I ordered 4 #9450 from amazon.uk and all four arrived with crushed corners. I could have called, complained, and got a partial refund or returned the items, but I didn't. I'll just sell them at a slight discount.)

Think about it from Amazon's perspective... Just think how costly it is to ship something, have it returned for a nit-picky reason, and pay to have it shipped back. I wouldn't want to ever do that for a customer. And, if I did I would only do it once, then probably block them from buying from me again. I would not be anywhere as forgiving as Amazon is, but that's just me.

I figure they simply keep up with the number of returns, number of accounts a person has, etc. and if they go beyond a certain amount you get put on a list. It's in their best interest to do so. Amazon is huge, and I mean huge. So, they won't think twice about cutting off a customer. They have millions, so what if they have 1 less? No big deal to them.
    dougts
    binaryeye said:

What do you consider damaged?

Items I buy from [email protected] (a retailer that ought to know better) MUST arrive absolutely mint. Items from the more general retailers such as Amazon or Tesco for example, you have to take a view. Stuffs and light creases are acceptable but anything more than that then they go back. I used to receive LEGO boxes from Amazon with holes in them when the shipping carton was completely intact. I cannot tell me how many photos I have of them. My work mates used to look upon in disbelief.

The SSD @Lost refers to was dinged and scoffed in a couple of places when I brought it home from a Brand Store. I was SO careful in getting it home so I know it wasn't me but for such an expensive and ironic set, there was no way I could live with it [cough] so bought another.

Back on topic though, anybody that flaunts the rules deserves to be excluded or disciplined in some way. Having received a warning prior to closing the account, I'm not sure what more Amazon could have done.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited February 2013
    @Legoboy .. call watchdog? that sucks. Although there is a lesson here .. you cant EXPECT MISB unless you buy direct from Lego, if it matters that much, don't expect a bargain. Having said that, I've never had a single set from Amazon that was anything other than spotless, unless it got mashed in the delivery process.

@kim43235 .. you even had a warning so it sounds like they were quite fair as you were obviously breaking the rules.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited February 2013
    ^ You would hope that even watchdog wouldn't care. Amazon sees Legoboy as a difficult customer that they aren't able to satisfy. Harsh or not (and i think it does seem harsh) not only is it within Amazon's right to decline you as a customer it's probably better for both parties in the long run. As they haven't disabled the other family account that's probably them being reasonable and knowing you wont risk a wife's wrath of getting that account banned as well! I know I wouldn't ever want to come between a woman and her shopping!

How many resellers her wouldn't think twice of blacklisting someone that sends back multiple sets that are a little bit damaged?
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    I love Amazon, they seem eager to please me. I order a lot of stuff and don't think I've ever returned anything because the box is damaged. I complained when some root beer showed up liked it had been dropped from a plane and they sent me another one, let me keep the damaged one.

However its obvious they have triggers, having multiple accounts is a big no no, and clearly returning a load of stuff when there is nothing really wrong with it is another.

I don't think I could handle not being an amazon customer though
    edited February 2013
    ^^ I somewhat agree, although there was no warning, no nothing. An item didn't turn up so they were forced to provide me with a refund as it was no longer in stock and couldn't send a replacement. When I questioned what on earth they thought they were doing, they replied saying my activity looked suspicious. Again, I questioned what they were on about and they in turn questioned the number of returns. Based on the number of successful purchases, the number of returns was minuscule. It was completely unreasonable on their part. Even refunding me the £500 purchase, they'd had thousands and thousands out of me over that past year. They refused to speak to me by phone saying that any contact had to be recorded. They treated me like a criminal. I was seething but there was nothing I could do to prove my innocence. They just wanted me out. They were completely unreasonable. I know when I'm being unreasonable or on dodgy ground (don't always admit it, but I know). I'd know if they had grounds for their complaint and they didn't. Absolutely nothing. Complete t*ssers.

Their email said that they were cancelling my account and all others connected with me. They said if I was to create a new account they would shut it. They went on to say that if I was successful in placing an order, they would prevent me from being able to return it. I'm not sure how that would stand up legally since my new purchase would have been strictly in accordance with their policy. Anyhow, I still buy and on the odd occasion still return - strictly in line with their policy. Cretins!
  • VaderXVaderX Member Posts: 220
    Perfect boxes are none existent, I have yet to find one anyway. I throw them in the garbage so unless its just smashed to bits I just try to get a better discount (The horror!). I guess I don't understand some collectors corky needs but thats ok. We all are different in a good way!

I don't blame Amazon for either of these bans. Limits are put in place for the greater good of the customer base as a whole.
    Don't need to bring up the little Timmy stories.

I run a small business and I never thought I would stop working for clients, but some people can just never be pleased. If you are doing a quality job for a customer and they still complain to other neighbors/customers about the job or price after they agreed to the work prior it is just not good business to continue working with them in the future.

I love Amazon... so I feel your guys pain. Amazon Visa gets used for almost 100% of my daily spending. Love those rewards points.

How many resellers her wouldn't think twice of blacklisting someone that sends back multiple sets that are a little bit damaged?

I'll admit I've done that to one person on bricklink. Where they have bought a few minifigs (new), complained one is scratched (even though they were fresh from a set), so I sent another new torso after checking it with a magnifying glass, he complained it was scratched again. I refunded for the whole figure and blacklisted him. So it cost me a fiver or so minifig and a couple of quid torso. He then emailed to say they wanted to buy more but was having problems accessing my store.

So I can understand why amazon might ban someone if they send back excessive amounts, or if they return items saying they are damaged when they appear not to be - remembering they probably have lower standards. Also don't amazon have a policy where they don't resell returned items - they have to go via the "warehouse deals". They probably get annoyed if people buy stuff, get free returns saying it is damaged and they cannot sell it again as new.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,128
    in amazon's eyes (and rightfully so), a box with some dings, dents, and scratches on it is certainly not damaged. They are selling the product inside, not collectibles. Anyone ordering from an online major retailer should realize these companies don't have the desire or ability to segregate out "mint" packaging to please 1/100 of 1% of their customer base. If a shopper keeps returning items with only relatively minor damage to the item packaging, but no actual damage to the item itself, then it is in Amazon's best interest to stop doing business with that person.

the onus should be on the collector themselves if they are desiring and demanding mint perfect packaging on the items they buy. Most likely having items shipped isn't the best route to acquire such packaging.
    thorniekylejohnson11
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    Lesson learned. Don't abuse the system. It's there for a purpose. Amazon doesn't like rule breakers and they don't like people who constantly return items.

I received a badly damaged IS box last Christmas. It had taped up holes and when I opened the box one or two bags had come un-sealed. Obviously it had been returned a time or two. Amazon Warehouse had listed it in "like new" condition which it clearly was not. After politely complaining I received 30% back making the total cost to me $126. I'm more than thrilled with the deal I received. However, I know that if I nagged and returned 50% of my purchases from them that I would probably be punished.
    Just for the avoidance of any doubt everyone, in my case, the boxes returned had holes in them - proper holes. Not dings or scrapes etc, but big dents and holes. And as far as returns went, with Amazon it was like 1 in 10, 1 in 15 perhaps? Certainly no more. Tesco however, I think they consistenely got returned in the same blue bag they arrived. :-)
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited February 2013
    As far as having multiple accounts to get around buying limits, I personally think it is a relatively minor offence, compared to using a stolen CC at least.

Although I support Amazon's decision as it is their decision, In my mind the first move from Amazon when some one is caught out is to actually close all but one of the accounts, they shouldn't say "This is a warning, don't do it again" while leaving all accounts active, conversely not allowing them to keep one account seems like they are missing out on a customer, who in the end we assume is spending their hard earned money .

On the topic of Buying limits I find them a little strange especially on stock not on sale or in limited supply, I know that most Lego items on the .es, & .fr Amazon sites are limited to 2 while on .de & co.uk it seems to be 5.

From my perspective if someone wants to purchase my entire inventory of a particular item at RRP and it's something I can order more of I'd be more then happy to oblige.
  • HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439
    Legoboy said:

Just for the avoidance of any doubt everyone, in my case, the boxes returned had holes in them - proper holes. Not dings or scrapes etc, but big dents and holes. And as far as returns went, with Amazon it was like 1 in 10, 1 in 15 perhaps? Certainly no more. Tesco however, I think they consistenely got returned in the same blue bag they arrived. :-)

Don't know, I'd say a return rate of 1 in 10 is pretty bad. To me it sounds really high at least from a seller's POV. That can eat into profits significantly.
    ^ 1 in 10 is just for the LEGO. Of course, there's then the mobile phones, camcorders, digital cameras and books, dozens of books (some costing £400 each), that I've also been buying regularly. In total it's more like 1 in 100. They've have had tens and tens of thousands out of me over the years. 1 in 10 LEGO alongside all that under the same account is nothing. Like I said before though, the reason for the ban was because one single item didn't make it to me. It was when I questioned how or why on earth they felt the need to cancel my account, the odd return I felt was just an excuse.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    edited February 2013
    @kim43235 I applaud your honesty

@Legoboy. I don't see a problem with returning an item because you were no satisfied with the condition it was shipped to you in. Whether you "abused" Amazons return policy is besides the point. Customer satisfaction should be paramount. Amazon should not have suspended your account. Maybe, if anything, they should have put a block on returning items for a period of time. I understand everyone's point of view. Putting a block on an abusive Ebayer from buying from you is not the same as EBay suspending your account and banning you.

Some people are more anal about how their package arrives. I guess Amazon felt the need to tell you that you were too picky.

• RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,143
    Am I reading this right that you are flat out admitting that you bribed someone to bypass Amazon's policy? I hope you are kidding but if you are not are you sure you want to have something like that made public on a forum?
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,876
    Yeah, I've blacklisted people on eBay from bidding on my auctions or buying my BIN items if they asked too many stupid questions or gave me a bad vibe in general. If I felt at all the person was going to be a hassle to me, blocked. I don't think Amazon can flat out refuse returns since their policy allows them so an outright ban is probably all they can do. Honestly, I don't blame them. This is the very reason I NEVER list an item as mint or perfect or anything even if it is. Attracts too many of the wrong type (for me at least) of customer. It has almost always set me up for problems in the past.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,909
    ^^ You bribed a girl from Amazon $1200 just so she could restore your account and give you free services such as Amazon Prime? Wow... disappointing to say the least.

+1 to @Renny's comment.
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    @snausage
    In my opinion your post completely defeats the purpose of @kim43235's post, his post was one of cautioning everyone of the consequences of not following rules. He was pretty brave, he risked embarrassment and censure just to warn others. Your post on the other hand ....
    But each to his own.
    dragonhawk
    This has now become the most surreal thread on these here forums.
    Brickarmor
  • Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379
    cloaked7 said:

I figure they simply keep up with the number of returns, number of accounts a person has, etc. and if they go beyond a certain amount you get put on a list. It's in their best interest to do so. Amazon is huge, and I mean huge. So, they won't think twice about cutting off a customer. They have millions, so what if they have 1 less? No big deal to them.

I've done this before on Ebay. I had one buyer who was taking advantage of my guarantee and demanding replacement parts for any piece of a used set that wasn't in whatever condition he had expected. After selling him two sets and getting nit-picked on a number of pieces, I placed him on banned bidder list. He wasn't too happy about it and it may have cost me a few sales, but I was glad to avoid the headache.

Pitfall69
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,258
    edited February 2013
    @snausage- I know you are trying to be helpful, but that post makes me incredibly sick more than anything else.

As @EKSam already said, you're posting the exact opposite of the intention of this thread.

Again, too each his own... but I'm pretty sure bribery of any kind is severely frowned upon by most people, including myself. Actually, I hate it.

Kudos to @kim43335 for owning up to their mistake. They learned their lesson, and admirably accepted the consequences. I would hope that other people would do likewise.
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 944
    @kim43235 You deserve what you got, but at the same time I applaud you for owning up to what you did. It would of been easier to be bitter of the situation and blasted Amazon, but you have taken the high road and admitted what you did and informed others of the outcome of your situation.
  • Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379

I love Amazon, they seem eager to please me. I order a lot of stuff and don't think I've ever returned anything because the box is damaged. I complained when some root beer showed up liked it had been dropped from a plane and they sent me another one, let me keep the damaged one.

I agree with this sentiment. Amazon has among the best approaches to customer service of any company that I have ever dealt with. Every time I have had any type of issue, they have always resolved it in a way that was favorable to me and have always done so in record time. I can understand why they would ban people because it would be incredibly easy to take advantage of their customer-centric approach.
    This thread is making me paranoid about Amazon returns :) I just received a Gandalf Arrives set from them but I have to return it as half the box has been flattened (not their fault, the shipping box looks like an accordian).
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    ^He arrived. What's the problem? It says so right on the box :)
    RennyBumblepantsandhe
  • bigjsdbigjsd Member Posts: 62
    I have had two problems with Amazon in the past including one that led to me being banned as well. Neither of the issues had to do with Lego but instead an LCD television. They shipped a TV to my house that they said I ordered on One Click ordering. I insisted I did not and although they refunded the purchase they refused to give me back my shipping. I filed a grievance with my credit card and they issued a chargeback to Amazon and subsequently I was banned. Lucky for me I moved two weeks later and I was easily able to create a new profile and account again. To Amazon's credit I have NEVER had an issue with Lego bought from them.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    The only time I care about box condition is if I'm buying a set to resell later, otherwise I don't even mess with the return. And even in those cases, what I do is, if the box is in good enough condition for your average consumer and I'm being what most would consider 'nit-picky,' I just choose 'changed mind' so that return shipping costs are on me. I probably return about ~10 sets a year in this manner, which I don't personally think is excessive, and I can't imagine Amazon cares that much, since I pay the return shipping costs anyway. Now... if the product is properly damaged (i.e. holes punched in the box as @Legoboy describes), then I request the return shipping be paid.

Generally, though, I find Amazon to be above and beyond reasonable. I ordered about $30 worth of books off them a few weeks ago and UPS tracking showed they were delivered, even though they were nowhere to be found. I came to find out that the driver had just handed them to some random person in the neighborhood (they said they were given to me, but I was at work at the delivery time) and Amazon sent replacements out with one-day shipping, even in spite of the fact that the fault was clearly with UPS. I'm sure they have a way of claiming the loss against UPS's incompetence, but it was just nice not to have to deal with that part myself.
    Renny said:

This thread is making me paranoid about Amazon returns :) I just received a Gandalf Arrives set from them but I have to return it as half the box has been flattened (not their fault, the shipping box looks like an accordian).

Are you buying it for resale or collection or to open? If you are going to open it anyway, I'd forget it, just open it and play with it. If for resale or to collect it MISB, buy from lego. A lot of smaller sets get sent in book packaging (in the UK), not boxes. Many of the ones I buy have a slight crush to them. I don't care, the box goes in the bin anyway. If I want a MISB example, I buy instore (from lego or elsewhere) or from a retailer that will send well packaged in a box.
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 834
    I'm thinking @snausage might just be trolling. I sure as anything can't un-see his profile pic now I've looked at it!
    BumblepantsLegobrandonCPGothamConstructionCo
    @CCC, it is for my collection but I do like to keep the boxes. I don't mind minor creasing or dings but this particular box looked like someone sat on half of it.
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    What was the picture? Wow, at least you have [email protected], Bricklink and a few others