Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Friends wins Toy of the Year...

And with that, gives a big F U to all their critics. :D

http://www.fbtb.net/2013/02/09/lego-wins-at-toy-industry-awards/

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,835
    Quick, somebody slam the Friends line and let the debate begin anew!

Just kidding, please no one do that. Great job by Lego, looks like the 4 years of homework paid off.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    While not appealing to everyone, the line has done exactly what it set out to do - and blown away the projections apparently as well

Well done LEGO
  • AmikoAmiko Member Posts: 97
    Yeay! While I really don't like the figures, I've bought some Friends stuff for Mrs Amiko and it's good stuff. The sets are pretty much compatible with standard minifigs anyway - the new figures have been replaced by proper minifigures but my three year old likes playing with them, so it's a bonus.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,809
    I'm always impressed to see that LEGO Friends is perceived by the industry not only as an exceptional girls' toy, but also as an exceptional toy in general.

I'd love to see how TLG continues to build on their success with this theme. It's already up there with some of TLG's biggest and most successful themes in terms of the number of sets, so I don't think it can grow much more as a theme, but it would be interesting to see TLG introduce more girl-oriented offerings like a sci-fi or fantasy theme, a constraction theme (a longshot, but hey, I'm hoping we can get there eventually), or a theme that pushes more towards gender-neutral territory by incorporating both an action/adventure component and a slice-of-life component (just think how much cooler some sets from boy-oriented LEGO themes could be if they sacrificed some of their action features and adventure-based play scenarios to be given more detailed, "livable" interiors).

In the meantime, I also am glad LEGO Friends is continuing to push in new directions rather than stagnating. Obviously there is still an emphasis on some typical girls' toy fare like the cutesy animals which have a strong presence in the theme, but overall the theme hasn't become repetitive at all, unlike LEGO City which has never really been able to push in a new direction and see the same success with it as with their standby Fire and Police offerings.

What could future LEGO Friends sets include? Well, what with all the animals there have been so far, how about a zoo or a natural preserve of some sort? Or perhaps, while we've had the Summer Riding Camp, there could be a more traditional sleepaway camp with tents and such. The sky's the limit-- TLG has barely scratched the surface of the theme's potential.
    Jenni
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    I would imagine that the "Friends" will be getting introduced to a male line of boyfriends soon.. This theme could go on forever...
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    edited February 2013
    Once boyfriends arrive I'm certainly forward to the Petty Domestic Argument set and the I'm Visiting Your Friends Under Sufferance set.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,815
    I am a bit surprised by this one ...

Recognizing an outstanding toy that is distributed primarily through
    specialty toy retailers, the Specialty Toy of the Year was presented to
    LEGO® Architecture (The LEGO Group)

I am very surprised that it won a toy award. I'm even more surprised if it is bought ever as a toy. They have very little playability, compared to most lego sets. I wonder how many other lines / ranges are judged in that category.
    andhe

I would imagine that the "Friends" will be getting introduced to a male line of boyfriends soon.. This theme could go on forever...

They've started with dads.

No doubt he is getting it on with the babysitter, so could double as a boyfriend too.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,765
    ^That's one seriously shady 5 O'clock shadow.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,809
    @CCC: The LEGO Architecture sets are actually pretty neat. Some of the early ones were lousy, overpriced builds, but more recently there have been several examples like the Robie House that demonstrate really great design of a sort not seen in most themes.

Furthermore, it shouldn't be ignored that they are often presented not as toys in the traditional sense but as souvenirs (I've seen them in many a museum gift shop, where they're often scarcely the most exorbitantly-priced items), display pieces, and collectors' items. Their classy presentation (a sturdy black box with a fold-open top and sometimes even a spiral-bound instruction manual) gives them a lot of appeal as gifts even for non-FOLs, and the instruction manuals themselves are well-printed with a fair amount of information on the building or landmark on which the set is based.

The category "Best Specialty Toy" suggests to me that it is probably judging this against similar souvenirs/display pieces/collectors' items, such as high-end TV and comic book figurines. The press release describes the award as "Recognizing an outstanding toy that is distributed primarily through
    specialty toy retailers", which would seem to fit this type of product.
    ^ It's not the quality I was wondering about. It is the calling it a toy. I don't see them as toys (ie. for kids). You are right it is about design, and realistic design often not see in many (any) other lego themes. As you say, they are often souvenirs or display pieces, not sold as toys. Which is why it is strange that they are a toy - any more than a model of the same building is a toy.

It is the language used - "Recognizing an outstanding toy that is distributed primarily through specialty toy retailers" - I wonder how many toys are sold "through specialty toy retailers" which the architecture range is judged against.

• tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,950
    I'd love to see how TLG continues to build on their success with this theme. It's already up there with some of TLG's biggest and most successful themes in terms of the number of sets, so I don't think it can grow much more as a theme, but it would be interesting to see TLG introduce more girl-oriented offerings like a sci-fi or fantasy theme, a constraction theme (a longshot, but hey, I'm hoping we can get there eventually), or a theme that pushes more towards gender-neutral territory by incorporating both an action/adventure component and a slice-of-life component (just think how much cooler some sets from boy-oriented LEGO themes could be if they sacrificed some of their action features and adventure-based play scenarios to be given more detailed, "livable" interiors).

Here, here!!
    Outside of Friends, the pickings are quite slim this year for my girls. (I also find the 2013 pickings are very slim as well for my son, but that is a different thread.)

I'm not surprised that they won an award. They had absolutely no competition in this area last year. The toy does actually focus on building. They added the character element to the girls, just like they have in other successful non-licensed lines (Ninjago and now Chima).
    Good job, Lego.
    Now for what Aanchir said. :-)
    edited February 2013
    tamamahm said:

I'm not surprised that they won an award. They had absolutely no competition in this area last year.

What do you mean they had absolutely no competition?

Friends won awards for ..

Activity Toy of the Year.
    Girl Toy of the Year.

There were numerous other activity toys and toys for girls out last year.