Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links to help keep the forum online: LEGO.com Amazon

ebay "Lego Authorised Distributor"

I see on ebay there is one particular seller that is implying in their pic's that they are "Authorised Distributors". Is this legit or just a marketing ploy?

Comments

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    It's either marketing or they have a direct purchasing deal from Lego

In the end though, as a buyer why would I care if they are "authorized" or not? Do I get some extra value from that?
  • BustinBustin Member Posts: 286
    edited February 2013
    Email Lego and ask. I'm sure they'll let you know if someone is falsely using their name to increase their sales.
    Oldfan
  • MBLego770MBLego770 Member Posts: 21
    I've seen them and reckon they're a ploy. If you have that sort of relationship with LEGO then why are your prices not a decent cut below the average?

I've seen "authorised distributors" selling LOTR kits for £2-3 below what other people are selling for.

If you really had that sort of relationship with LEGO, wouldn't you be undercutting everyone and mopping up?
    Oldfan
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    There are many people out there that are authorized Lego Dealers.. There is a hobby store not too far from me that has just as many Lego sets as Toys R Us does and they are selling them at the same price as Lego does...
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 621
    While this may be completely legitimate and above-board, if I saw this on ebay, I would not pursue. The law of averages applies: there are so many scams run through that site (and others), that I am immediately suspicious of the whole situation. This forum alone is filled with many situations of a similar nature, that ended up being "less than advertised". It's unfortunate, especially for those sellers who are truly legit, but my motto is "buyer beware". I'll spend a few more $$ to be sure of getting what I'm looking for, either at the lego site or at a brick-and-mortar operation, rather than chasing after current, in-production sets on a 3rd-party website.

Once the set is out of production, it's a different story, but that's another topic...

No matter what you decide in this, please follow up and let us know what you found out or what happens. I'd be interested to learn something new if it contradicts my suspicions!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,349
    True.. an 'Authorized LEGO distributor' could be a way drop shippers are trying to appear legit
  • DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
    rchadd said:

I see on ebay there is one particular seller that is implying in their pic's that they are "Authorised Distributors". Is this legit or just a marketing ploy?

Could you post a link to an example? Do they explicitly claim this or just imply it in some way?
  • DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
    Well, that is a pretty explicit claim. Interesting.