Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Repairing Old LEGO Motors

sixf00t4sixf00t4 Member Posts: 1
edited June 2011 in Collecting
i pulled out my old 4.4v stick from the 8700 set, and it didn't work. I was able to track down a working set on ebay, and every single piece of my original set (motor, stick, switch, even wire) did not work with the new set. Any tips on taking it apart or wirebrushing the metal to get it working again?

Comments

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,356
    Was there ever any battery leakage inside the housing? Are you sure the motor does work? I would test the motor with an ohm meter first. The biggest problem I have seen with the old 4.5v sets are the connecting wires. I usually take an exacto blade and gently insert it between the metal slots and gently pry on them outwards so that they spread apart a little, do go too much. If there isn't a good connection inside the plug itself, they can be taken apart and repaired, just loosen the small screws and pull the wires out. Hope that helps.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,172
    I have a little old micro motor that is not working. I got it apart (both the upper and lower parts) and do not really see anything wrong with it, but it does not seem to run... any thoughts?
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,356
    Before wasting any time looking at or tearing a motor apart it is wise to just put an ohm meter on the connection points and test the motor to check the windings. I have seen micro motors go bad before and once the windings go bad the motor is done. In Legos' defence, they make very good electronic parts but the micro motor seems to be the worst for dieing an early death.