Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Star Wars universe set to get a lot bigger

(CNN) - That galaxy far, far away is apparently bigger than first thought.

The "Star Wars" franchise will get two spinoff movies, Disney chief executive officer Bob Iger announced Tuesday.

"We are in development of a few standalone films that are not part of the 'Star Wars' saga," he said. "There are now creative entities working on developing scripts for what would be those standalone films."

The two films, if they make it out of development, will be released after Episode VII, which Iger said is on target for summer 2015.

Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg each will write one of the new films and consult on the next three "Star Wars" sequels.

"Each standalone film will focus on a specific character," Lucasfilm said on its starwars.com site. Lucasfilm will disclose more details about the spinoff in the future, Iger said.
This should definitely expand the lego sets in to other directions.

Comments

• monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,763
    Boba Fett has got to be a cert to get one of those films, maybe a young Palpatine based story too (that was more Sith based than a boring politcal based story line)?
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,465
    Fett, Younger Han Solo, and Yoda are all being tossed around as possibilities. It will certainly give Lego a lot of new possibilities no matter who they pick. As long as they hire the right people to execute these and take the time and effort to do it right, I say the keep 'em coming. Disney keeps hitting homeruns with Marvel so there is good reason to think they could do the same in the Star Wars realm.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited February 2013
    Obviously one will be about Jar Jar :p

I think a movie based on Jaba's exploits could be interesting, it would be a bit more gritty (Alien gangsters) then the originals.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,626
    "I have a bad feeling about this..."

Well someone had to say it.
    OldfanplasmodiumZony2josh
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    seems we "could" end up with Star wars related movies every year from 2015 onwards being a mixture of episodes 7 to 9 and these stand alone releases (a little like the marvel cinema universe I suppose) this could mean new lego sets every year and minimal redo's from the previous 6 movies no bad thing at all.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,199
    People will always want items from the original Star Wars. If the cash-cow is milked to the extreme and they produce new movies every year, I hope they do not stop making / re-releasing OT sets.
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 312
    Back when the prequels were made lucas hinted at a bounty hunter mini series. I would almost that (if done by hbo, showtime, or someone else willing to give it substantial resources). The writing and plots tend to be better on those than when producers try to come up with movies for popular intellectual properties.
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    edited February 2013
    I was hoping for the sequel to "The Padawan Menace" :( . Actually, I would watch Padawan Menace the TV series if they made it in the same vein as the movie.

Since Disney owns the right to Star Wars, any projects/movies will never satisfy fans who want to see grittier / rougher bounty hunters. Heck, I would be surprised if we ever see any decapitation or mutilation in SW VII

• RomanticWarriorRomanticWarrior United StatesMember Posts: 248

...maybe a young Palpatine based story too (that was more Sith based than a boring politcal based story line)?

Did you ever see the Robot Chicken SW? Sadly, that is what popped up in my warped little mind.
    Oldfan
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    Well my kids love The Padawan Menace and Empire Strikes Out Lego movies. As long as they are jaunty and fun and not weighed down in political and moral implications like the prequels they should do well.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,541
    If Lucas' daughter has anything to do with the writing, it'll be all World of Warcraft crossed with Twilight, with whatever guff today's newspaper had in the politics section, and a bunch of space bullies - i mean Jedi's - spouting the worst pseudo Sun-Tzu gibberish not far removed from 'The Sphinx' from Mystery Men.

But then i did only catch a few of the cartoon, and perhaps i missed the good episodes.
    :oP
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    So we now have confirmed Young Han Solo and Boba Fett movies.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Confirmed Ford, Fisher and Hamill are very close to signing a deal for a new Star Wars movie to be released in 2015 directed by J.J. Abrams.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,223
    Thought that was already a go.
  • bigjsdbigjsd Member Posts: 62
    According to Lucas during a recent interview, Ford, Hamill, and Fisher were all signed on to do the new movie before the Disney deal was completed and they were aware of the impending deal.
  • JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    Fisher was on a national news show (USA) friday morning talking it. All I caught was thaat she would be wearing her hair like in episode IV.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    So... with Disney effectively cancelling The Clone Wars, and no new material set to come out until 2015, what do we think the meat of the SW line will be for 2014? EU or more rehashes?
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    ^^ News articles are saying a new show will come out in a time period "previously untouched" My thinking is in the "underworld" timeframe, between ROTS and ANH
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,874
    Can't wait for the yet-to-be-named UCS crappazoid shuttle infiltrator
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    ^ Bet you buy four.
    prevere
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,874
    ^Haha...Nope. More like 8. It comes with a rare minifig - Darth Rasten!
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,733
    edited April 2013

seems we "could" end up with Star wars related movies every year from 2015 onwards being a mixture of episodes 7 to 9 and these stand alone releases

It seems you're correct:
    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/04/17/star-wars-movies-2015/

As much as I'm looking forward to the trilogy beginning in 2015 (admittedly with some amount of trepidation), a movie every year seems overkill. Granted, they'll likely be sure-fire blockbusters with huge licensing deals to be made, but I don't think oversaturating the brand will help in the long run.

As for how this impacts LEGO sets: As a fan of the OT, I think this is a bad thing because it will allow less room for OT sets. I'd really like to see modern versions of Mos Eisley and Cloud City, but this is even less likely to happen now.
    y2josh
  • AvengerDrAvengerDr Member Posts: 453
    If the new trilogy turns out to be a disaster, prequel sets might become valuable! Grab those Sith infiltrators! :D
    binaryeye said:

seems we "could" end up with Star wars related movies every year from 2015 onwards being a mixture of episodes 7 to 9 and these stand alone releases

It seems you're correct:
    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/04/17/star-wars-movies-2015/

As much as I'm looking forward to the trilogy beginning in 2015 (admittedly with some amount of trepidation), a movie every year seems overkill. Granted, they'll likely be sure-fire blockbusters with huge licensing deals to be made, but I don't think oversaturating the brand will help in the long run.

As for how this impacts LEGO sets: As a fan of the OT, I think this is a bad thing because it will allow less room for OT sets. I'd really like to see modern versions of Mos Eisley and Cloud City, but this is even less likely to happen now.
    If they're all terrible (which could go either way... this schedule isn't doing any favors for anyone, though), they'll have blockbusters on their hands for awhile, but eventually people will grow wise to the fact that Disney is churning out an inferior product.

I could be wrong, but I think the deluge of spin-offs will be generally poorly regarded and dry up rather quickly, while the main 'trilogy' films will likely be more sustainable over time.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ Maybe, maybe not...

Look at Marvel... The three Iron Man movies are solid, but The Hulk was terrible (or we thought so anyway).

Thor was rather all over the place, but Captain America was quite good, if completely nuts.

They all came together well in The Avengers which was by far the best movie, to see them all together in a reasonable plot (for a superhero movie), was a lot of fun.

Now they are doing the second set of 6 movies, with Iron Man 3 kicking that off, and Thor 2 and Captain America 2 coming out as well.

Some of the Star Wars movies will be great, some won't be, but if they keep it above average and manage to tie it all together into a 6 movie series over 6 years with the last movie being Episode 9 bringing all 6 movies together (Episode 7 & 8 along with 3 "in-between" movies), that would be pretty cool.
    hantot
    edited April 2013
    ^I haven't seen Iron Man 3 yet, but I think Iron Man was amazing, The Incredible Hulk was terrible, Iron Man 2 was pretty good, Thor was pretty good, Captain America was outrageously bad... and then Joss Whedon disregarded a lot of what had been established so he could make a popcorn flick that served no purpose but to set itself up for a sequel.

Insofar as these Star Wars spin-offs are concerned, it's important to note that it's been indicated that they won't have anything to do with the new trilogy, but rather, expand the mythos of existing characters like Yoda, Boba Fett and Han Solo. Which smacks of 'cash grab' to me.

I see something similar happening here, only the 'good movies' are already way behind us and we're well into milking it to death. And there's no company that I see bleeding Star Wars dry faster than Disney. They're very good at that, if nothing else.

And... for the benefit of @Pitfall69... this reminds me of a little quote from back in the day:

"God willing, we'll all meet again in Space Balls 2: The Search for More Money."
    hantotOldfan
  • hantothantot UKMember Posts: 247
    Just get ready for 60+ lego Star wars sets a year....
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    edited April 2013
    hantot said:

Just get ready for 60+ lego Star wars sets a year....

None of which I'll buy any more than I'll buy the Clone Wars and Expanded Universe crap. All the better for me as it encourages me to abandon Lego. Already this year, Lego is losing my business eight-to-one to competing brands (Kre-O and UT) and thirty-to-one in comparison to other toy memorabilia.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,239
    y2josh said:

but rather, expand the mythos of existing characters like Yoda, Boba Fett and Han Solo.

If they did the Han Solo trilogy books into movies I'd be thrilled. Those books were really good.
    hantotOldfan
  • hantothantot UKMember Posts: 247
    ^ just hope they dont completely throw away the Expanded Universe for the films and make it all non-canon

Imagine the scrolling text for episode VII

It was a time of peace, but we've just had a civil war, which came after another war with aliens from another galaxy but we wont mention those again. The empire is now our friends and Leia and Luke now have their own kids, except some are dead which is bad, except the one that was really evil who killed Luke's Wife......

But now Episode VII Jar-Jar Returns.......
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    I hope they ditch all of that EU crap. Some of that sh*t makes Twilight look like Pulitzer Prize material. *puke*
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 611
    ^But some of it is really fantastic reading; I too would love to see "Han Solo at Star's End" made into a movie, as well as the Black Fleet Crisis storyline. I guess any series of books will have its hits and misses...
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,260
    I am living in serious trepidation of these three new films, I have no idea how they can possibly create a decent series of three more films without interfering with the EU literature and such to the extent that the whole of the Star Wars saga becomes even more of a mess than it already is. In my book, canon is the six films and that is it, everything else is open to our own interpretation...
    ^I see you live in some magical word where Disney gives a crap about the integrity of their IPs...
    Oldfan
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,541
    edited April 2013
    I've read some of those books, and... just... awful.

Don't get me started on the constant lip twitching of every character as their only means of expression. Han Solo's lip twitched... the General's lip twitched, XYZ's lip twitched... what is it, they all suddenly have space-tics or something?!

At some point i expected the millennium falcon to lip-twitch a salvo of quad cannon fire at a lip-twitching Tie pilot, going by the name of LypT'wch.

And the worse part... it doesn't even mean anything!

^That's Zahn for you. Lips twitching (and twisting) are real, of course... I'm just not a fan of how frequently he used it for Han and Lando. Still, those books were amazing. In fact, the EU is very similar to the films in its lopsidedness. The initial offerings (save The Truce at Bakura) were all pretty amazing... then the quality started to plummet as the EU staggered on. The last one I read (and the last one I intend to read) was Apocalypse... and it was roughly on par with Revenge of the Sith's Quality - no better than a 4/10.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,733
    It looks like "Rebels" will be the replacement for The Clone Wars, and will air on The Disney Channel. It will be set between ROTS and ANH.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/20/entertainment-us-starwars-idUSBRE94J0MU20130520
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ Wow, very cool, I'm excited already...

My son loves Clone Wars, and is sad that it is leaving us, but this will be fun because it will give a chance to have a new area explored that really hasn't been covered much.

This also gives us a new era for SW LEGO sets, including a mix of sets from new and old films.

I see nothing but good in our future. :)
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 540
    This sounds much more interesting to me than CW, lots of story to tell between those two movies. Should also be lots of interesting backstory, and lots of minifigs and sets to come out of it.
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    . In my book, canon is the six films and that is it, everything else is open to our own interpretation...
    In my book only the ORIGINAL three films are canon. Whatever happened to all of the saga that's already been made being released again in 3 D? When they released the Clone Wars movie, my thought was why don't they do a CGI movie about the original characters and use the original actors' voices while they're all still alive.
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    They should make a movie about Boba Fett where he escapes the Sarlacc Pit and redeems himself by once again becoming the most notorious bounty hunter in that galaxy far far away.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 611

They should make a movie about Boba Fett where he escapes the Sarlacc Pit and redeems himself by once again becoming the most notorious bounty hunter in that galaxy far far away.

Who knows, maybe that's part of their plans...
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,112
    binaryeye said:

It looks like "Rebels" will be the replacement for The Clone Wars, and will air on The Disney Channel. It will be set between ROTS and ANH.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/20/entertainment-us-starwars-idUSBRE94J0MU20130520

this sounds very cool. that 20-year period is pretty largely untapped in the SW depictions, so I'm looking forward.

Now, let's just hope that Abrams and the writers do a better job with SW7 then they did with the recent ST Into Darkness, in which when faced with a blank canvas for the Kirk/Spock universe that they created in 2009, they give us....a lazy and overly contrived, ham-handed attempt to be all too clever while re-envisioning people and stories we've already seen.

y2josh
    ^Into Darkness was EXTREMELY bad and a huge waste of Benedict Cumberbatch. I suspect Episode VII will be standard 'summer blockbuster' fare with little substance... but that's the majority of what Star Wars is anymore, unfortunately.
  • DeadareusDeadareus Member Posts: 264
    Not to go too far off topic but I thought Star Trek Into Darkness was incredible. I loved that they went in the direction they did and the delivery was fantastic. But to each their own.

I must say I am beyond excited for what's to come with an Abrams Star Wars movie. He's one talented guy.
    wagnerml2
    edited May 2013
    ^ oh, it was a typical summer blockbuster: action packed, exciting, fast-paced, and fun to watch. Unfortunately, also true to the mold, it lacked any really depth of characters and was thin on plot. Add in unoriginal and contrived - forced at times, and it was disappointing given the greenfield the creators had in front of them.

We bought into the Kirk/Spock connection in WOK and beyond because they had been serving together for decades. This Kirk/Spock relationship is barely getting started, and what we've seen is more respected co-worker than any true friendship. But we're supposed to believe they have the same depth of connection that we see at the end of the move? ridiculous. And that's not even mentioning the Vader in Ep III moment we see in the climactic scene...

Looks like they are now about to go out on the first "5-year mission" - here's hoping the next installment comes up with a new story to show us, and doesn't just see fit to once again borrow heavily from the original crew.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,378
    And for god's sake, no whales!
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    edited May 2013
    ^ What's wrong with ST 4? It's funny and I have fond memories of seeing it in the theater back in 86.

I'm looking forward to seeing Into Darkness. At first I wasn't a fan of the last film because it took so many creative liberties. Seeing Vulcan destroyed seemed very wrong. But the film holds up to repeated viewings (even with the stupid plot devices). I think all of the original cast films have their merit. I enjoy aspects of the Motion Picture as well as ST V even if the films as a whole are not as good as others.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    Star Trek was phenomenal. The way Abrams tied the old to new was fantastic. If he does half as good with Ep VII, I will be happy.
    ^ well, let's hope we don't get an episode VII full of stolen dialogue, recycled plot lines, and reincarnated villains.

I know - let's have another death star for Luke to blow up while Boba Fett chases Solo around the galaxy as revenge for killing Jabba...