Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Comments

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,112
    Why would it? Unless one was one of the affected people of course
    LegobrandonCP
  • BustinBustin Member Posts: 286
    As long as the products don't get any cheaper... I picked up 70001 and was very unhappy with the plastic. This new plastic feels a lot more brittle than even a few years ago, and just cheap when compared to some of the sets I have from the 80s.

The pieces sound so much different when falling to a hard surface. I'm just not thrilled. Still a far cry above MB quality but I am worried about Lego moving in the wrong direction.

That certainly would change my buying habits.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    Bustin said:

As long as the products don't get any cheaper... I picked up 70001 and was very unhappy with the plastic.

I know what you mean about some of the plastic, but that set barely even resembles a Lego product. What's more worrisome is Lego producing crap that looks like it came out of a Happy Meal.
    mdelleman
  • crazycarlcrazycarl USAMember Posts: 392
    ^^^^ Agree. Hope this is not a permanent trend for Lego. Everyone is doing it though. Production moves to China, crackers and cookies from Mexico and Canada, produce from south America, etc. etc.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Although as it seems they're only moving/closing a very small packaging operation and not doing anything with (at the moment) the brick production that still exists there then most of the above is, at present, irrelevant.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,199
    edited February 2013
    Bustin said:

As long as the products don't get any cheaper... I picked up 70001 and was very unhappy with the plastic. This new plastic feels a lot more brittle than even a few years ago, and just cheap when compared to some of the sets I have from the 80s.

Packaging doesn't affect the quality of the bricks. Most of the production is outside of Denmark now anyway.

Will it affect my buying habits? No. All large international companies are doing the same thing - moving labour intensive jobs where there is cheap labour. To boycott one because of it punishes me.
  • BustinBustin Member Posts: 286
    I understand completely that packaging does not effect brick quality. The move was done to reduce costs... So it is quite possible that Lego could move brick production there to also reduce costs. That is my concern.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    For me it is a continuation of a worrying trend for TLG. I understand they are all about the $$$, but laying off local workers who helped them become very successful just to chase more $$$ does not sit well with me. I enjoy and respect companies that invest in their workforce rather than outsource. It was a sad day when I purchased my first set that said "Made in China" on the side. TLG has done a 360 on alot of their policies lately....a real shame. I certainly do not buy LEGO as gifts anymore.....for myself I will cut back if the quality continues to fall and exit entirely once the name is trash.
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited February 2013
    ^I very much agree with this sentiment. I've recently watched a few documentaries about garment and toy factories/workers in China and Bangladesh, and the way many of these workers are treated is deplorable. Pollution is also rampant, which negatively impacts residents and wildlife. All so western companies can generate huge profits and so consumers can have slightly cheaper products. To think that Lego could soon join the ranks of these companies is very sad, and I would certainly have to rethink my interest in Lego at that point. I have to wear clothes, but I don't have to have Lego. I don't mind paying a few dollars more for Lego if I know that it treats its employees well and is a responsible corporate citizen.
    Brickarmor
    ^ and ^^ I hope neither of you have any Apple products then.

And, as much as I dislike Apple as a company, that's a good case for the fact that companies outsourcing of manufacturing doesn't necessarily mean a reduction in quality. In deed often the exact opposite is true, not only are foreign workers often far better than local workers (as much as I don't like to say it) but the reduction on labour and other costs allows more expense on raw materials, increased investment in tooling etc.
    Furrysaurus
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited February 2013
    ^You're right, outsourcing doesn't "necessarily mean a reduction in quality", but often it does. From my first hand experience with Lego and Mega Bloks, the quality of the made-in-China product is definitely inferior to the elements made elsewhere. Although I do not know why this occurs in the case of Lego and MB, it definitely does occur.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,691
    What is it @LegoFanTexas says...responsible capitalism. If they are moving production to China or wherever and paying them next to nothing, making them work in appalling conditions, (no I will never buy an apple product again). Then I will have a problem with Lego and have to rethink my hobby. However if they pay a good wage etc and we see a small reduction in costs, or this lets lego expand then that is, to me anyway, a very good thing.

However in regards to quality there is a massive difference between lego made in china and other factories and that made in Denmark.
    edited February 2013
    The thing is I don't believe that's a function of it being made in china, at least for LEGO (thankfully no knowledge of MB ;) ). I've heard it said that its because they can't source the same quality of ABS pellets but if that's true then TLG completely failed to do their due diligence at the most basic level. Sourcing of raw materials at the correct quality/volume/price would be the first thing on the list.

From close experience I know that it was (and probably still is) near impossible for a western company to open a factory in china themselves. A third party chinese company has to be used - it is outsourcing but maintaining almost total control. It would/should be TLG that says what raw materials are used, supply the tools and effectively have all but day to day control over the factory. The factory manager has to be chinese for politcial reasons, but all over senior staff can be western. There is no reason why quality should be any different, although things like forgeries and loss can't be controlled by TLG.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    There is no reason why quality should drop just because you manufacture in China or most other countries, you can create as high a quality and technologically advanced factory as you want in China. For some reason though in most cases quality of a lot of things is worse?
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    i would like to think if brick production is ever moved....the QC will still be high. Otherwise, it's just MB with a smart name.
  • LEGO_NabiiLEGO_Nabii Member Posts: 34
    This info is from the intranet, which I know some non-LEGO employees have access to and is pretty public information. I'm paraphrasing and cutting a lot out – and it’s just what I’m taking from the articles – this is not the official LEGO line, just my take on it!

The decision is because only 10% of the bricks made here in Billund were being packed here and there is no room to expand this. Logistically it’s far easier to now transport all of the bricks to our packing (and distribution) centre in Czech Republic where we can grow as big as we need to.

There is an investment of hundreds of millions of Danish Kroner in the Billund molding facilities right now, so production is expanding and not going anywhere, and we’re currently hiring a lot of engineers. So it’s not all bad employment news. And of course there must be a lot of jobs being created in Czech right now, but this is of course no comfort for those losing their jobs here in Denmark.

Personally I think it sucks for the packing line guys because they have done an awesome job of coping with the massive growth over the last couple of years and they have worked hard to keep up with the demand. Our whole production, packing and distribution teams, wherever they are based, deserve a lot of credit for getting LEGO to where it is right now.

HR will do everything they can to find other roles for them, either with LEGO or outside, but inevitably some of them will lose their jobs. Feelings are running pretty high with some of these guys right now. For obvious reasons they feel the company has let them down, Jorgen Vig wrote in his blog (on the intranet) that this was a descision made in his office and he takes full responsibility for it – quote:
    ”I have found that good times, are times for change.” “It is better to change, when you can decide to do it. Then to wait to change, when you have no choice. Because, today we are not on a burning platform, we can announce early and make appropriate preparations that may lead to us closing all the positions, but not terminating all the employees. And help everybody move on to a new life, a new job with new skills and qualifications.”

Worst case scenario is this year 75 people, next 200 and the rest in 2015.

TLDR: End of local box packing, but hopefully most employees will be retained and actual brick production in Denmark is being expanded.
    LostInTranslationJosephCrowniethenosCCC
  • CrownieCrownie WA StateMember Posts: 228
    With posts like this, I sometimes wonder if you'll chime in, @LEGO_Nabii. Thank you for your input - it helps give those of us on the outside some perspective.

And to those that lost and will loose their jobs, I hope they can return to the work force quickly.
  • iceden2iceden2 Member Posts: 2
    mathew said:

Bustin said:

As long as the products don't get any cheaper... I picked up 70001 and was very unhappy with the plastic.

I know what you mean about some of the plastic, but that set barely even resembles a Lego product. What's more worrisome is Lego producing crap that looks like it came out of a Happy Meal.
    I agree it look likes megabloks crap with all there fraud y fake plastic
  • iceden2iceden2 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    I hope the quality will improve or I will NOT buy