Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Buying/Selling CMF Full Boxes

I always see people mention buying full boxes of the CMF. Just looking to see if cost wise if it is very effective? I can understand buying a box, and taking out a full set for yourself. Then from there you could sell the other set (Assuming you only have 2 sets like Series 9 seems too). From there do you just keep the extras or try to sell them? Seems price wise, you could just break even if lucky, because some prices online are pretty cheap for minifigs.

So my question to the people who purchase full boxes, is it worth buying boxes to have a guarantee set or two and just sell the rest, or is it better just to buy them all separately and juts collect?

Comments

• ChanMcLChanMcL Member Posts: 1,224
    Its likely, (or certain) that you will get 3 sets from a sealed box, if u check on the numbers of it on euro bricks.
  • kwkwkwkw USAMember Posts: 1,169
    ^ It's 2 complete sets, Lego changed the distribution where the "army building figs" are now 6 to a box and other figs are either 4 or 2 to a box, so only 2 complete sets.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,241
    Series 9 boxes only have 2 complete sets. And depending on how good a series is and when you buy/sell it can be worth it. I bought a box after christmas from a lego store, kept my full set, sold the other full set for basically cost and then sold 26 of the 28 extras for enough to make my set essentially free. Didnt happen that way for series 5-8 though.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,375
    ^Series 5 was/is an overproduction and heavily discounted nightmare. Patience has been key for me. There is always someone out there that needs a certain minifigure, even the ones you think you might be stuck with. Also, there are new "generations" of CMF collectors being added to the mix all the time. Be patient, it might take a year or two, but you will eventually sell them.
    ^That's bad for me cause I have no patience lol. I tried the buying a box (at a great discount) and trade/sell the extra cmf but it took way too long for my liking, I think from now on I'm just gonna do the feel method for all the army building figs (cyclops, knights, aliens) that I want and leave the reselling of cmf to others. This also saves me from tying up my money in inventory as I can just use the money that I would've used to buy a cmf box to buy the figs I actually want instead of having to wait weeks and months to sell my unwanted cmf for a small profit. But to each their own. I will say one thing, CMF are extremely easy to store, ship, and have relatively quick turnover (the good figs anyways, I hate you slow moving series 8 evil robot lol) so selling CMF does have their positives.
    Went to TRU the other day. In the time it took my wife to waddle to the car seats (she is 9 months pregnant) and ask for a new one and waddle to the Barbie aisle and waddle to the Lego aisle. I felt up an entire box of Series 9 and 1/4 of another box and grabbed what I needed. It's got to be a record!!! I never feel packages, but my daughter wanted a Mermaid and my wife's friend wanted a Roller Derby girl.

With that said, I think Lego should hold a CMF competition where contestants feel the packages and the quickest to complete a set wins that set.
    murphquakepharmjod
    ^lol at one of the TRUs I frequent they have an employee there that would destroy us all in CMF feeling, one night I went in there to find via feel method series 9 knights and cyclops and they were about to close and he came over and helped me out, picked out about 20 cmf i wanted from 2 full boxes and was 100% accurate and it only took him like 5 minutes to go through over 100 cmf lol
    I just squeeze once or twice. I flew through them, but I'm sure that guy is faster working around minifigures all day.
    ^I just saw your Marketplace post. You are impatient...lol :)
    haha yep, I just got those figs like 2 months ago too lol
    Pardon me, but that is some funny sh*t :-)
  • USMCYodzUSMCYodz Member Posts: 93
    Thanks for all the info.
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    Funny, @atkinsar & @rich69 and myself were just talking about a CMF feeling contest. Might be fun for a LUG meeting or a new event at a convention =-)
  • berniebondberniebond AustriaMember Posts: 137
    I love the Eurobricks Reviews.

One Thing I have to mention though, after Feeling through another Series 4 Box, my Contents surprisingly differed from the one reviewed!

I found 3 complete sets and even a 4th crazy scientist.

• GrogallGrogall Munich, GermanyMember Posts: 159
    edited February 2013
    Well I bought 3 boxes of series 1 at a drug store called schlecker here in Munich thats actually the first time I saw them. when I went to the cash register to have the clerk open the box, She said that she could not do it because its Lego, so i asked what the box would cost me, Cashier takes the box scans it and says €1.99 so I bought all 3 :-P. Schlecker is now out of business because they treated there employees like #&%$. so I don't feel bad!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,817
    Did you go back for more the next day? :-)
    ^That's great. The first 2 Series you could scan to find out the contents (which everyone knows of course) but when you brought them up to the cashier to buy a whole box they had to scan each pack individually. It drove the cashiers crazy. Now, they can just scan 1 pack and type how many you have.
    Series 10 should offer many interesting scenarios because of the "golden" minifigure. Many people that aren't really into CMF's are going to buy boxes in hopes of obtaining the minifigure. I hope many retailers don't raise their price per pack because of this (I'm looking at you TRU) If you remember Series 1 was $1.99 [USD] then next year shot up to $2.99...and TRU is now $3+
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Did we ever determine if the golden minifig is going to be a unique model, or a golden version of the other models in series 10?
    ^I don't know. I've been kinda out of the loop.