Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Comments

• TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,282
    edited February 2013
    @Bustin
    Thanks for the tip / link / info!
    Interesting job that guy has.

I recently bought an Xbox360 (which came with several games included too) after having bought the Lord of the Rings game because of the Elrond minifig which was included.

Probably a little weird buying a game for a console system you don't own, and then deciding 'oooh well what the hell now that I have bought a game I might as well buy that console too', but it actually is a really fun game. The LotR game from Traveller's Tales or TT games does not feature a lot of brick build enviroments though. I don't know if this will change while progressing in the game (I have no reason to assume this to be the case), I am currently stuck at the mines of Moria where this cave troll drives me insane and keeps clubbing my fellowship of minifig's to utter ruin, without me knowing how to kill it.

I am no hardcore gamer and only play on average two to four hours on this Xbox in an entire week (with several games to choose from, such as Forza motorsport, Assassins Creed 2 and others next to LotR ).

I have up to a six months ago on a pretty regular basis spend quite some time building a bunch of stuff with Lego's Digital Designer, although I often got pretty disappointed and frustrated when the model (usually a castle) got so big that it became, due to the scale, almost impossible to continue building, and tinkering with it.

Even though the Xbox Lego game I have is not a construction type of game but a adventure, quest, puzzle game with lots whacking and smashing of pretty much every and all brick build elements in the game, I am tempted though, to buy some more Lego games in the near future. Anyone have any suggestions which ones are really nice and fun to play?

ps.
    I hope I am not digressing (if it is construed as such) to the point that I am totally derailing Bustin's topic. If so, I apologize.
  • BustinBustin Member Posts: 286
    edited February 2013
    The star wars complete saga gives you a good amount of play hours. There is a new marvel super heroes one releasing this year as well.
    Yeah the upcoming Lego Marvel game seems quite wicked!

videogames.lego.com/en-us/lego-marvel-super-heroes/about/features/

I collected some of the Avenger Lego sets, as well as Wolverine's Chopper showdown, very nice vehicles and excellent minifigs!

However, are all Lego games similar in that they are all about: "players will unlock more than 100 characters from across the Marvel Universe, ...... The game will pack in a plethora of super-cool character abilities, combat-like action sequences, epic battle scenes, puzzle-solving and a unique story told with playful LEGO humor." ? Because this is exactly what the LotR Lego game is about too. Essentially a re-enactment of Peter Jackson's LotR trilogy instead of the Marvel universe, which admittedly I am less familiar with, since there are by now so many superheroes and villains, that unless you are a total Marvel devotee, one lost count a long long time ago. Also I am clueless about al the altercations and intrigue between (the whole soap opera if you like) al the various spin-off characters. I nowadays only sporadically step into a comic-book store, but American superhero comic books are neither prominent nor abundant amongst all the European comics (or graphic novels as they are also nowadays sometimes called), and it has been ages since I read some.

What I am wondering about whether there are also recent Lego games with a somewhat different focus and type of game play, then what seems to be the common focus with regard to the here for mentioned action / adventure Lego games?

I came across this list with all Lego games:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lego_video_games

I would not mind seeing some more construction and strategy aspects being woven into the games.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,541
    @TheBigLegoski

MORIA TROLL SPOILER ALERT!!!

Have you got past the moria troll yet? If i remember correctly, you have to....

...get a character onto the upper side ledges (left and right), where you have to stand on a special stone that the troll will attack, getting his weapon stuck, and you get to target him while it's stuck.

There might be something else, too, but i can't remember.

edited February 2013
    -- SPOILER ENDS--

As for TTGames Lego games, you can't go far wrong with any of them. (except perhaps Indiana Jones 2, which I haven't warmed to so much), and they're all a wonderful alternative to the many violent/serious/sports games around.

I came out of my dark ages thanks to the original Lego Star Wars game, and have bought and played each one that followed.

Basically, the older/earlier the game is, the simpler it was to play (targeted a younger audience at the beginning). And they gradually added new game elements with each release. Some people might feel they're a all bit 'the same' as each other, but if you love lego, and enjoy the movie/theme of the title, then you'll appreciate the subtle differences in each one.

That does not mean those early games lack charm. They're all filled with movie in-jokes, amusing animations, and easter egg type things to find.

One thing i guarantee you: You'll be wishing TLG had paid closer attention to these games, and made some of the in game models/figs... especially the figs... :o)
    @legomatt
    Thanks for the tip! and info

It has been over a week, since the last time I played the LotR Lego game. I had already discovered the possibility of jumping on to the ledge to evade the merciless cave troll, but I had not yet been able to finish him off. Last time I played it I decided not to revisit the mine but instead go and see if I could find and collect some more Mithril bricks, extra missions, discover some more treasure etcetera in the open world sections (around Weathertop, Rivendell, etcetera), and replay completed missions with newly acquired characters. It seems you can only collect and unveil all secrets, hidden areas, and all treasure by replaying them with other characters.
    One thing i guarantee you: You'll be wishing TLG had paid closer attention to these games, and made some of the in game models/figs... especially the figs... :o)
    I wholeheartedly agree with you!
    Yep, all the TTgames have those two ways of playing. Story mode and Free play.

Story mode is, well, the basic story of the theme, while free play (unlocked by completing the level), allows you to revisit that level using any characters unlocked so far. As you say, there are lots of extra hidden secrets and collectables that can only be found/obtained by using the different characters available in free play mode.

:o)
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    edited February 2013
    ^^I believe there's a thingy you have to build, where the cave troll will get his chain stuck, and then Legolas can shoot him. If that doesn't help, try googling the name of the level. There are tons of walkthroughs etc. My brother and I have always found what we needed for almost every Lego game we've played. (I even found an article about all the 'easter eggs' (references to other games) hidden in Lego LotR, which was pretty cool).

^This Lord of the Rings game is absolutely amazing as far as free-play is concerned. Not only do you have every single character and every single object available to you in every level, but it also has the entirety of Middle Earth (albeit, slightly shrunk) full of quests and things to collect. My brother and I beat Lego Star Wars III in half a year of casual gaming--methinks this one will take a lot longer!

( @TheBigLegoski: you talked about "strategy aspects being woven into the games"? Lego SW III has a vaguely strategic 'ground battles' mode...)

Back on topic, that really is the best job. Lego AND video games? Yes please...
  • BustinBustin Member Posts: 286
    The only lego game I skipped was Lego Rock Band.

Still aggregated that Undercover is only on the Wii U but that's Lego's decision I guess, financially I feel it was wrong.