Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Packaging 2 or more bigger LEGO sets

dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
edited February 2013 in Buying & Selling Topics
What would be the best way to package 2 bigger LEGO sets (in my case #9450 and #5887 ) ? Is it better to stack them in a 24x16x10 box with some padding between top and bottom sets ? Or, lay them side by side in a 36x24x4 box ? Or is there a better way ?
There will be a mixture of brown paper and air bags padding added on the top, bottom, and sides of the sets.

The package will be mailed from US to Australia and I am interested to learn the best method to keep the boxes as mint as possible.

Also, what would be the ideal way to package 3 sets of this size ?

As suggested by @LegoFanTexas and others, I use 24x16x4 boxes to package and ship a single set of this size. However, I did a search and could not find any discussion on shipping multiple sets.

Comments

• dneuldneul Member Posts: 369
    I have used Saran Wrap to wrap up multiple sets together and the packing peanuts under and around and on top. That or air pillows. The Saran Wrap would keep the boxes from rubbing on each other.
    dragonhawk
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,144
    I personally bubble wrap each individual set, lay them on each other and cover all sides (including below and above) with packing peanuts.
    dragonhawk
  • JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    I use that thin foam, like that covers flat screen tv's and computer screens between the packages. I then wrap them with shipping wrap ( as dneul says Saran Wrap would work).

I think bubble wrap would be fine. Make sure you wrap them tight so they are like a single package.
    dragonhawk
  • MathBuilderMathBuilder Member Posts: 150
    An important thing to notice is that the maximum Length+girth dimension to Australia via Priority or express is 79in so the first option 24x16x10 LG=76 works just perfectly while the second option 36x24x4 LG=92 does not.

Always be careful to respect this max size, going over the size (and following the rules of course) implies using global express which is super expensive.

That said the 24x16x10 will be more than perfect and adding some bubble wrap inside without over stuffing will do the trick.
    dragonhawk
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    Thank you for the great inputs. Wrapping the sets together as one unit is a great idea. @MathBuilder, thank you for pointing out the max box size.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,144
    Sorry to drudge up a super old topic but I figured it's better than creating a new one. 

I just received a shipping quote request for 4 modular building sets (sealed). They would ship from the US to Germany. I've shipped a lot of individual sets internationally but never this much in one go.

Any thoughts on a shipping approach? I see there are gigantic 26x20x20 type boxes which I would have to buy in bulk but is the best approach one massive box or two smaller sized boxes?

Prospective buyer also has zero feedback which makes me nervous with moving forward on it.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,437
    If you are using eBay and their global protection plan you should be good. If any other method, good luck.
    I would say check with UPS stores around you, as they likely have that 26x20x20 in their stocks (but stores do vary, you may have to call a couple). Some stores have equipment that can modify the boxes to be smaller as well if you think about breaking up the shipment into two boxes.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,043
    Be very wary shipping to Germany. On BL there have been warnings about parcels being intercepted by customs and set boxes opened. It seems to be worse for parts ordes as they don't have warnings about choking. Especially combined with a zero feedback buyer, I'd be wary. They will also be paying significant customs fees, something they may not be aware of. They might refuse the order, and you will be out the shipping costs plus insurance and stock missing for months.
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    edited July 27
    In general, wrap each one in bubble and place a corrugated pad that is just slightly bigger then the wrapped piece between the sets.  I'd then use a full flap box, called a FOL.  FOL are what people ship artwork or frames in.    When looking for these boxes, they will be sized  24 x 4 x 16 for example, not as 24 x 16 x 4.    Also for reference, most lego boxes are constructed in the FOL style.
    Keep in mind, regardless of how you pack, side-by-side, or one on top of the other, the box will ship sideways and upside down at some point so you need to prepare all six sides for protection.  Also, air bags are dunnage/filler, they are used to take up extra space in the box, they are not intended to provide the 6 sided packaging you need.